Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you feel comfortable if the teachers in your school carried concealed weapons?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 39 Replies

Armed Teachers Will Greet Students on Their First Day of School This Year

by April Daniels Hussar

gunPencils, lesson plan books, red pens, and ... guns! Yep, when teachers, administrators, and other employees at Clarksville High School in Arkansas head back to class next month, a full 20 of those school staffers and teachers will be armed with guns. Guns that the school district paid for. 

What are these people thinking?!

Well, apparently they're thinking this is a good way to spend money -- to the tune of a $1,100 stipend per person to buy the handguns and holsters, plus $50,000 for ammunition and "training." They're also thinking this is a good way to keep their students safe. I know plenty of people will applaud this move, but I could not disagree more.

I have so many questions about this, not the least of which is: Where are these guns going to be secured? What location could they be in where it would be TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE for students to access them, but where they'd still be handy enough for those teachers to reach in the event of an emergency? Or are they actually going to stand at the front of a class and teach English and math with a holster containing a loaded gun?

And who is going to decide what kind of emergency warrants, say, a history teacher drawing a weapon? Is it only against an "outside threat"? What if a fight breaks out in class and the teacher feels threatened? The chances of an attack like the tragic Sandy Hook massacre are very, very slim compared to all of the issues that arise on a daily basis. Kids become unhinged; they can get aggressive or seem violent ... that's just par for the course. TWENTY concealed weapons in one high school sounds like a recipe for disaster. Guns shouldn't be in the mix. At all.

Yes, yes, I understand that it's not the inanimate object of a gun that can kill; it's the gun in the hands of the wrong person that kills. Duh. But who's deciding who gets to bring these concealed weapons to school? And how are these educators going to be trained? Isn't this the kind of thing that should be left to police officers and actual security guards? Can whatever training that's being provided guarantee that that there is NO way students -- or anyone else for that matter -- can access these weapons? That these teachers will make the right decisions 100 percent of the time? Will this training guarantee that, heaven forbid, no student will be accidentally shot?

I don't believe that all guns should be outlawed, but I do believe in sensible regulation and gun control. And I sure as hell don't think a school is any place for 20 concealed weapons.

Would you feel comfortable if the teachers in your school carried concealed weapons?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. More guns only increases the chance for more gun violence. 

I find it so funny that some gun owners have delusions of grandeur thinking they'd be able to save the day with their gun. lol. 'If only I was there! I would have shot that sum-o-bitch dead on the sopt!' Whatever, you'd be hiding and pissing your pants like everyone else...

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

No I would not feel comfortable.    The only people I want to see defending schools are police.   They have the training, experience and responsibility to do that.

Most of the people who are going to want to carry a gun in a school are going to be people who have no training but worst of all, no responsibility.   It's going to attract a lot of 'loose cannons' and self-declared avenging superheros.

Ednarooni160
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes...especially if I was driving down the road and heard an attack was happening at one of our schools.  I would (as a parent) make sure for my child (rens) sake that serious application and training had occurred previous to this..back ground checks..etc. Each classroom a gun..compared to how many policeman who can't be at all places at all times..

kcangel63
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM
3 moms liked this
We homeschool, so my answer is yes. I will also say that my children's teachers are very well armed.
LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM
3 moms liked this

Absolutely. Oklahoma is working through legistlation to allow it to happen and I am part of a group that fought for it. I offer classes to teachers for half price and they recieve free range time to practice and do continuing training as well.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Absolutely support teachers being armed if they so choose. They would have to not only get a gun permit, but a concealed carry permit. And they would have to be trained.

If teachers had concealed carry last December, they could have decreased the loss of life and stopped Adam Lanza a lot sooner.

trippyhippy
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Hell no.  My son has speciaal needs and does not understand danger.  In fact he is told not to touch something he goes out of his way to touch it ever time he can.  He's also a pick pocket.  Put that together with someone carrying a gun and your asking for trouble.  I would change schools even if it meant moving.

Debrowsky
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Absolutely.   in the face of loonies in our midst, who think they can do whatever they want to the public without remorse... I'd say it's high time we cut them short in their madness.

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I would
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JanuaryBaby06
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM

wow.. unbelievible.

i would not be okay with this at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)