Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama math: Under new Common Core, 3 x 4 = 11 [VIDEO]

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 59 Replies

By Eric Owens 11:09 AM 08/18/2013

Quick: what’s 3 x 4?

If you said 11 — or, hell, if you said 7, pi, or infinity squared — that’s just fine under the Common Core, the new national curriculum that the Obama administration will impose on American public school students this fall.

In a pretty amazing YouTube video, Amanda August, a curriculum coordinator in a suburb of Chicago called Grayslake, explains that getting the right answer in math just doesn’t matter as long as kids can explain the necessarily faulty reasoning they used to get to that wrong answer.

“Even if they said, ’3 x 4 was 11,’ if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer really in, umm, words and oral explanation, and they showed it in the picture but they just got the final number wrong, we’re really more focused on the how,” August says in the video.

When someone in the audience (presumably a parent, but it’s not certain) asks if teachers will be, you know, correcting students who don’t know rudimentary arithmetic instantly, August makes another meandering, longwinded statement.

“We want our students to compute correctly but the emphasis is really moving more towards the explanation, and the how, and the why, and ‘can I really talk through the procedures that I went through to get this answer,’” August details. “And not just knowing that it’s 12, but why is it 12? How do I know that?”

Watch:

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Crap - I always thought 3 x 4 = 12.

tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM
5 moms liked this

wonderful..

I find it to be very important for my children to get the process AND the right answer.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this
I am soooooo against this! This is a frickin joke!
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

That explanation had me confused.  Can you imagine what it will do to a child that is in the learning process?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you imagine this teaching method giving us our engineers and scientists and mathematicians??

If that happened, one group on a project using metric measurements and the other using English, would be the least of our worries.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

I am soooooo against this! This is a frickin joke!

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess that's what some teachers mean by "new math".

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM

did ANYONE in the meeting object?

little.worthen
by Tess on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM
2 moms liked this
Smh.. Like I said, common core is going to make kids into stupid robots..
survivorinohio
by Rene on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

If you can find it somewhere else I may take it more seriously but that site reads like a tabloid.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM

“Even if they said, ’3 x 4 was 11,’ if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer really in, umm, words and oral explanation, and they showed it in the picture but they just got the final number wrong, we’re really more focused on the how,” August says in the video.

Really?..that gives a whole new meaning for kids wanting to grow up to be brain surgeons, pilots, architects, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN