Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Amendment Fight: Man Claims Landlord Painted Over His ‘Impeach Obama’ Sign and Is Threatening Eviction

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Eds
  • 11 Replies

First Amendment Fight: Man Claims Landlord Painted Over His ‘Impeach Obama’ Sign and Is Threatening Eviction

Brent Kovac, the president of the Mon Valley Republican Committee, claims his First Amendment right was violated when his landlord painted over the large “Impeach Obama” sign he posted outside his Port Vue, Pa., business.

Man Claims Landlord Painted Over His Impeach Obama Sign

(Photo Credit: Brent Kovac)

Kovac told CBS Pittsburgh that he has rented the same office space for nine years and has put up political signs before without causing any problems. However, he claims the sign calling for President Barack Obama’s impeachment was painted over within 48 hours. Kovac also says his landlord warned him that he would be evicted if he didn’t take down the sign.

In an act of defiance, Kovac on Monday repainted the exact same message on the sign, several days after it had been covered.

The sign is intended to support the “Overpasses for Obama’s Impeachment” campaign, though Kovac said the message is now a symbol of his free speech under the U.S. Constitution.

“If I would’ve put an ‘I love Obama’ mural up there, I would probably have every ACLU lawyer from here to San Francisco in a circle up there holding hands in front of my sign,” Kovac told the CBS affiliate.

Man Claims Landlord Painted Over His Impeach Obama Sign

(Photo Credit: Brent Kovac)

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Incredible. Freedom of speech for Liberals is fine - just not Conservatives.

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

free speech would be fine if he owned the propety. if i was a lanlord i'd have an issue even if i agreed wth what he wrote esp if other renters were complainng that it was effecting their bottomline or customer were complaning. i wonder if the buisness was political in nature because then that may make sense and the landlord should have seen it coming if not maybe he tried to tolerate it in the past, but this was the straw that broke the camels back. many prefer to keep buisness & politcs seperate. idk. just spit-ballin here.

Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM
3 moms liked this

It's private property and it's not his so he's at the mercy of the landlord.

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this

He can paint all the freedom of speech he wants on the windows that belong to him.

denise3680
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

He does not own that property, did you miss that part?  Leave the political bs, on either side, to your own private property:/

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

It's not his property- he's renting. He can go stand on public property and hold a stupid sign all he wants.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I agree he doesn't own the property.HOWEVER, he did state he's put other political sign up before and has never had a problem. You also don't know the terms of his lease, maybe he's allowed to put signage up. If the landlord allowed it previously, he's created a precedent..what's changed that NOW this person isn't allowed signage?

Maybe, he landlord just doesn't like THIS particular sign, and thinks he can do whatever he wants...

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Guess some missed this..it's just news..have a cup of coffee..enjoy your day.

Kovac told CBS Pittsburgh that he has rented the same office space for nine years and has put up political signs before without causing any problems.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM

If he can prove the landlord hasn't intervened on any political signs in the past, until now- he might have a case.  

autodidact
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM

not a first amendment issue, it's not any form of govt. impeding his speech. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)