Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

School Cutting Hours for Some. Why? Ahhh yes, ObamaCare...

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 67 Replies

The Hamilton school district has told its substitute teachers they will be limited to working a maximum of four days a week in the coming school year because of the federal health reform law’s future requirement that full-time employees be provided with health insurance.

A memo mailed to the substitutes in late June said that the restriction resulted from a provision of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that will require employers to provide affordable health insurance for full-time employees and their dependents. Full-time is defined as an average of 30 or more hours per week.

“This memorandum will serve as official notice that, as of the 2013-2014 school year, strict limits will be placed on the number of working hours of part-time/temporary employees,” read the letter signed by director of human resources Katherine Shilenok-Wright.

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Quote:

substitute teachers 

jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Why does it matter to you that they are substitutes?

Quoting -Celestial-:

Quote:

substitute teachers 

joey125
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM
2 moms liked this

The frenzy around Obamacare is actually getting funny now,  

jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM
5 moms liked this
Yea. You know when the congress members who voted for obamacare were pleading with Obama to exempt their workers from ObamaCare ... The joke is on the rest of the nation.

Quoting joey125:

The frenzy around Obamacare is actually getting funny now,  

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Mmmmm.  My school just upped my hours and changed my status to fully appointed making me eligible for benefits again when I haven't been in the past two years. 

jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Your one story vs an entire district as reported on the news. Yay you!

Quoting NWP:

Mmmmm.  My school just upped my hours and changed my status to fully appointed making me eligible for benefits again when I haven't been in the past two years. 

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually helped train another instructor this summer who is also taking on a full load. She is also newly eligible for full benefits. 

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting NWP:

Not Without Panties

jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Riiiiiiight. I prefer discussing news and data that can be backed up.

Quoting NWP:

I actually helped train another instructor this summer who is also taking on a full load. She is also newly eligible for full benefits. 

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting NWP:

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM
2 moms liked this

Because personal first hand experience is of no value to you? Ok

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting NWP:

Not Without Panties

jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
When discussing a factual news report. It doesn't compare. Jmo. Back up your personal story with facts showing a district doing as you supposedly claim as your personal story and we would have a real discussion, IMO. Just an fyi- Facts help. Till then, your personal story doesn't mean jack to me.

Quoting NWP:

Because personal first hand experience is of no value to you?
Ok

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting NWP:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN