Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tea Party Crowd Cheers as TN Republican tells her that her dad will be deported

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM
  • 69 Replies

On Thursday, during a “Rising Stars” event at the RNC Summer Meeting in Boston, Massachusetts, RNC Chairman Reince Preibus criticized the GOP anti-immigration strategy of ‘self-deportation‘ for being “horrific” and said it “hurts” the party.

“Using the word ‘self-deportation’ –it’s a horrific comment to make,” Preibus said. “I don’t think it has anything to do with our party. When a candidate makes those comments, obviously, it hurts us.”

You know what is even more horrific and should hurt the Republican Party? A Republican crushing a little girl’s hopes to save her undocumented dad from being deported in front of a cheering crowd of Tea Party supporters.

Yes, it really happened. On the same day that Reince Preibus made his remarks, Tennessee state Tea Party Rep. Scott DesJarlais heartlessly told 11-year old Josie Molina that her undocumented father would and should be deported after she asked him for help during a town hall meeting in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. The Tea Party audience wildly cheered after DesJarlais crushed the poor little girl’s hope to keep her dad with her in the states.

MOLINA: “Mr. DesJarlais, I have papers, but I have a dad who’s undocumented. What can I do to have him stay with me?”

DESJARLAIS: “Thank you for being here and thank you for coming forward and speaking…the answer still kind of remains the same, that we have laws and we need to follow those laws and that’s where we’re at.”

[Tea Party cheers]

According to Progressivepopulist.org, Molina was trembling as she spoke into the microphone and took her seat completely dejected after DesJarlais answered her. The site also reports that “Josie’s father is currently in deportation proceedings and she is undergoing therapy to deal with the anxiety.”

What this little girl is going through is truly horrible and really reveals the hypocrisy of the supposed party of “family values.” Republicans had a chance to show some compassion to a little girl and keep her family from being forcibly split apart. And they completely blew it. They also passed up a golden opportunity to act like decent human beings for once and show Latinos that the GOP actually somewhat cares about them. This travesty should further tarnish the Republican Party’s image among Latino voters.

DesJarlais could have at least empathized with this little girl and he certainly should have comforted her in her despair. Instead, he acted like a complete jackass who doesn’t give a damn about hispanic children who are losing their parents to the anti-immigration policies of this country. DesJarlais once claimed that God allegedly forgave him for his extramarital affairs with numerous female patients, one of whom he pressured into having an abortion. He is currently up for re-election in 2014, and while he’ll probably claim that God forgives him for turning his back on a scared child in need, voters and all of America should not.

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM

The GOPS's outerach program.....

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this
Her dad isn't "undocumented, he's illegal and his ass deserves to be deported for being here illegally. Should it have been said to a child? Definitely not.
rocketracer
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM
4 moms liked this
The members of the audience were applauding the idea of the US enforcing the law.
blues_pagan
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

As a child sat by and listened to it as her father is being deported.

Quoting rocketracer:

The members of the audience were applauding the idea of the US enforcing the law.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this

She probably shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting rocketracer:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM
2 moms liked this

At this point it is a novel idea, so I can sort of understand the surprise and confusion.

Quoting rocketracer:

blues_pagan
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM
2 moms liked this

It was a town hall meeting.  She had every right to be there to speak up for her and her father.

Why would you want to inhibit her freedom of speech?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting rocketracer:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I don't want to, anymore than I want to inhibit her freedom to hear the truth.

But still it should probably be age appropriate in each case.

Quoting blues_pagan:

It was a town hall meeting.  She had every right to be there to speak up for her and her father.

Why would you want to inhibit her freedom of speech?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting rocketracer:

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM
2 moms liked this

These are the same people...no surprise here

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually they cheered when he mentioned "freedom and personal responsibility"

So, no surprise indeed.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

These are the same people...no surprise here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)