Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Moving/retiring to Canada OR another Country...good or bad? Positives? Negatives?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM
  • 16 Replies
I have heard that many Americans are retiring in Canada. I have to admit I have been doing research on this idea for awhile now. Some areas of Canada aren't that far from the U.S. border. One city I have been looking into is called Bellingham, WA in the Western part of WA, and the other is called Usk, WA in the Eastern part of WA. Both very close to the border of Canada. I thought how easy it would be to go back & forth between the U.S. & Canada.
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JanuaryBaby06
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I wouldn't mind moving to Canada. If we ever moved out of country that's where we wanted to go. It seems amazing. Just the process of getting canadian citizenship seems like a pain. maybe when were much older and can play around with it but we'll most likely stay in pa. .

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I live in detroit, we border Ontario, but its not like living in Canada. Border crossings are a bitch...I wouldnt call it "easy back and forth" at all.
muslimah
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I live near the Detroit border of Windsor Canada. You could not pay me to live any where in Canada. It's a very nice country. We go there often but the climate sucks. I am leaving Michigan in about 4 or 5 years for the very reason, the climate. I had my mind made up on Sarasota Florida but now I am thinking maybe Puerto Rico. I'm not done researching it enough to have made up my mind yet.

I don't know if that really qualifies as a different country being that it is a common wealth of the U.S.A which is why that is an option because I will still be able to collect Social Security when the age comes and if there is any left for me to collect. Also any university my daughter goes to her degree will be recognised in the U.S.A.

But one thing is for sure. I am getting out of here and to where it is hot hot hot all year around. 

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Sarasota is beautiful! I go there for work and always swing South a bit to the beaches - Siesta Key is famous for their Top Beach recognition - the sand is amazing - I could lounge there all week, any week. Hot you will get!
Quoting muslimah:

I live near the Detroit border of Windsor Canada. You could not pay me to live any where in Canada. It's a very nice country. We go there often but the climate sucks. I am leaving Michigan in about 4 or 5 years for the very reason, the climate. I had my mind made up on Sarasota Florida but now I am thinking maybe Puerto Rico. I'm not done researching it enough to have made up my mind yet.

I don't know if that really qualifies as a different country being that it is a common wealth of the U.S.A which is why that is an option because I will still be able to collect Social Security when the age comes and if there is any left for me to collect. Also any university my daughter goes to her degree will be recognised in the U.S.A.

But one thing is for sure. I am getting out of here and to where it is hot hot hot all year around. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I don't get people wanting to leave the US. I really am proud to be an American, even though I disagree with the policies and direction of the current administration. America is my home, and I would not want to live elsewhere - visit? Yes! I love to travel. But not move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Sarasota is beautiful! I go there for work and always swing South a bit to the beaches - Siesta Key is famous for their Top Beach recognition - the sand is amazing - I could lounge there all week, any week. Hot you will get!
Quoting muslimah:

Oh I love it. I used to go to the east coast on the Atlantic to Singer Island every year. Well one year I decided to try something different and went to Sarasota, Anna Maria Island, and Long Boat Key. I loved it and after seeing how much nicer, cleaner, quieter the gulf side is I will never to go the Atlantic side again.

stringtheory
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Does Michigan offer enhanced driver's licenses? WA offers licenses with an endorsement that makes travel between the states and Canada relatively seamless. I worked with a guy that commuted back and forth a few times a week.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I live in detroit, we border Ontario, but its not like living in Canada. Border crossings are a bitch...I wouldnt call it "easy back and forth" at all.
stringtheory
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I LOVE Bellingham, btw, OP. Western WA is so much more temperate climate-wise.
muslimah
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Quoting stringtheory:

Does Michigan offer enhanced driver's licenses? WA offers licenses with an endorsement that makes travel between the states and Canada relatively seamless. I worked with a guy that commuted back and forth a few times a week.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I could be wrong but I do think they have something pretty much the same as what you are talking about but it's called something different and I can't remeber what it is called. If they don't already have it they are planning on it. That's about all i know.

stringtheory
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Ah, I see. I had never heard of any such thing until I moved to the Seattle area. They cost $50ish to get, but cheaper and easier than a passport. They must be somewhat new even for WA, since the passport requirement for Canada is relatively new...

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting stringtheory:

Quoting UpSheRises:

I could be wrong but I do think they have something pretty much the same as what you are talking about but it's called something different and I can't remeber what it is called. If they don't already have it they are planning on it. That's about all i know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)