Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hundreds of Children Reportedly Gassed in Syria -- Are You as Outraged as You Should Be?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hundreds of Children Reportedly Gassed in Syria -- Are You as Outraged as You Should Be?

by Kiri Blakeley

Horrible news out of Syria, which has been embroiled in a civil war for two years. There are reports that the president of the country, President Bashar al-Assad, had unleashed nerve gas attacks on hundreds of women and children. Pictures taken by Reuters of children in unimaginable pain and suffering are quite disturbing to look at. But we need to look. Because we need to know what is happening. It's easy to forget when you're half a world away that people on the other side of the planet think and feel just as we do. Syrian children feel and think and suffer and fear just as American children would.

Syria's government is denying these claims of gassing its own people, but clearly children are dead. The pictures tell that. Pictures of dead children, lined up side by side. Reportedly, the ones still alive do not even have medication, and their godawful injuries are being treated with vinegar.

The question is, what can we do? It's so horrible to sit around and know this is going on and not be able to DO anything that I think most of us go into denial. Otherwise, it would be too overwhelming. We stop caring the way we cared about Newtown or when we hear about a missing American child, because it's just too out of our control.

Do we send troops in? These things sound easy, but if we sent troops everywhere there was death and destruction, they'd be everywhere, all the time. We sent our troops to Iraq to supposedly make things better for the people over there, and is that what we did? Do we even know? Is it all worth the death and injuries and destruction and PTSD and everything else that now our troops and their families deal with?

I don't have the answers. I would like to see something done. I don't want to sit back and watch children die any more than anyone else. But I also know that war is never a quick solution. It's possible more children will die if we go in. But to watch this ... unspeakable.

Why do humans do this kind of thing to each other? I'll certainly never understand.

What should we do?

(Warning: These images in this video are disturbing. But they are reality.)

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Why do humans do this kind of thing to each other? I'll certainly never understand. Me either
StephanieSH
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't understand why more people aren't outraged by this.  This has completely gone under the radar.  It makes me very angry.  My husband is Israeli and so much world attention is focused on the Israeli Palestinian conflict that every time Israel does anything in the region it is condemed by the UN and other countries in the region.  However, the world is very silent when there is a mass killing like this.  This just proves it's all politics and no one really cares about the loss of lives.

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Has anyone ever seen Hotel Rwanda? I ask because this article reminded me of a line said between a American Reporter (Jack) getting ready to leave and the Hotel manager (Paul): Paul: How can they not do anything? Don't they care? Jack: I think that when people turn on their TVs and see this footage, they'll say, "Oh my God, that's horrible," and then they'll go back to eating their dinners.

also another quote said by Paul to everyone hiding out in the hotel.

There will be no rescue, no intervention force. We can only save ourselves. Many of you know influential people abroad, you must call these people. You must tell them what will happen to us... say goodbye. But when you say goodbye, say it as though you are reaching through the phone and holding their hand. Let them know that if they let go of that hand, you will die. We must shame them into sending help.
BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:43 PM

The answer is do nothing.  Once all the sides realize that no one is coming to "save" them then perhaps peace will come out.  The West needs to stay out entirely. 

susan115
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, but isn't this what our current Administration wanted?  Genocide of the innocent, change the world to only Progressive thinking.

29again
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Am I as outraged as I should be?  How outraged SHOULD I be?  How is outrage measured?  Who determines the appropriate level of "being outraged" for the situation? 

What should we do?  How about we stop arming AQ, and let the leader of the country worry about what to do....  I don't know if he is doing the right thing or not, but, I do know that AQ is evil, and we need to stop funding it.  I think that would be a good first step.  Also, why is it up to us to do something?  WHY do we need to do something?  Haven't we demanded that Assad step down?  How has that worked out?

AuntieL333
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I've been following this in the news and it turns my stomach. How can the human race advance when we are so willing to kill each other?

denise3680
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:59 PM

why do you think that no one is outraged or upset about these terrible things that are happening over there.  We can be angry and cut off financial support but I do not want our troops sent over to yet another middle eastern country to tell them what or how they are supposed to act, period.  Let them figure this out on their own. 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Yes
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Our UN ambassador couldn't even come off vacation to attend the emergency UN meeting on Syria.
Damn she fits right in with this feckless administration.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)