Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What's the difference between Ethnic Intimidation and a Hate Crime?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 22 Replies
Teens face ethnic intimidation charges after brutally beating woman...

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/teenage-girls-accused-beating-robbing-woman-north-/nZc8W/

PITTSBURGH — Three teenage girls are facing several charges, including ethnic intimidation, after police said they brutally beat a 32-year-old woman Sunday in Pittsburgh’s North Side.
Investigators said the incident happened around 2 p.m. near the intersection of Concord and Itin streets.
According to police, the girls threw a bottle at the woman’s car, and when she stopped to confront the girls, they attacked her.
“It’s sad, but it doesn’t surprise me. Our youth …,some of them are going in the wrong direction,” said one resident who did not want to be identified.
Officers said the woman was kicked, punched, robbed and left in the middle of the street. Police said they also called the victim a racial slur.
Witnesses ran to help the woman and one man said he watched as the three young black girls, ages 14, 15 and 16, were arrested.
“About 10 to 15 minutes later a bunch of cop cars came up and put them all in the back seat of the cop car,” the man said.
The victim was taken to Allegheny General Hospital and is expected to be OK.
The girls were taken to Shuman Detention Center and charged with ethnic intimidation, robbery and conspiracy.
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

If it's a crime, there is no difference. Similar to intimidation by the KKK, which I think is a crime.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Ok.  I hadn't heard of ethnic intimidation.   I wasn't sure if it was a lesser crime than actually charging with a hate crime.  

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM
5 moms liked this

Honestly, to me "ethnic intimidation" sounds like they are trying to down play a hate crime..so the girls can get a lesser punishment.

(Imo)..it's the same thing..and personally I think all crimes, perpetrators, and victims should be treated the same.. Our society is so mixed..how can anyone know when it's a hate crime or not..unless someone comes out and says a slur..which obviously these teens did.  But what about the people who don't say anything..but do it "because"?   Shouldn't matter who is murdered, raped, beat, or robbed..you do the crime..you should do the time..and maybe "time" needs to be stepped up a notch.  Many people murder people for different reasons..many rob, beat or whatever for different reasons...doesn't take away from the act and/or what the victim went through.. I think the "seriousness" of the crime..the acts during the crime  committed should be what dictates the time and punishment.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't agree with the idea of hate crimes vs other crimes.  Most violence and crime is done out of hate.  But since it has become the law of the land, are there keywords that can be used to lesser the charge?  When the crime was brutal? 

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Honestly, to me "ethnic intimidation" sounds like they are trying to down play a hate crime..so the girls can get a lesser punishment.

(Imo)..it's the same thing..and personally I think all crimes, perpetrators, and victims should be treated the same.. Our society is so mixed..how can anyone know when it's a hate crime or not..unless someone comes out and says a slur..which obviously these teens did.  But what about the people who don't say anything..but do it "because"?   Shouldn't matter who is murdered, raped, beat, or robbed..you do the crime..you should do the time..and maybe "time" needs to be stepped up a notch.  Many people murder people for different reasons..many rob, beat or whatever for different reasons...doesn't take away from the act and/or what the victim went through.. I think the "seriousness" of the crime..the acts during the crime  committed should be what dictates the time and punishment.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jcrew6:

I don't agree with the idea of hate crimes vs other crimes.  Most violence and crime is done out of hate.  But since it has become the law of the land, are there keywords that can be used to lesser the charge?  When the crime was brutal? 

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Are you meaning like the words ethnic intimidation?  I'm guessing anyone can make up anything to "lesson" or "make bigger"  using alternate words depending on what they (whoever they are) want to see accomplished in certain situations.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Yea.  I was wondering if a lawyer uses the term ethnic intimidation vs actualling charging with hate crime~ does that bring about a lesser charge? We don't see ethnic intimidation used as prominently.  

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Are you meaning like the words ethnic intimidation?  I'm guessing anyone can make up anything to "lesson" or "make bigger"  using alternate words depending on what they (whoever they are) want to see accomplished in certain situations.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jcrew6:

Yea.  I was wondering if a lawyer uses the term ethnic intimidation vs actualling charging with hate crime~ does that bring about a lesser charge? We don't see ethnic intimidation used as prominently.  

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Well, I agree with you..it's a "hate crime"..it's the law and sometimes yes and sometimes no words will be used to sway a judge and/or a jury..but again..the other side will also use their own words to describe the crime and the law..IF they are good at their job..  I notice the media does this a LOT..even before things get to court.

muslimah
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I never heard of Ethnic intimidation. Maybe it is in the hate crime category but a lessor charge.

For example in case I'm not making sense. Allot of people get arrested for drunk driving but they will drop it to impaired. Both are alcohol driving offences but if it is dropped to impaired it is not as serious of a charge.

Just taking a guess.

Koko2400
by New Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

The only reason I can think of using the different charge is the girl, who I know, is white and the attacking teens were black.

muslimah
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Koko2400:

The only reason I can think of using the different charge is the girl, who I know, is white and the attacking teens were black.

In todays world that makes sense

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN