Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Christie defends calling NY Daily News reporter a 'dope'

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM
  • 2 Replies

Christie defends calling NY Daily News reporter a 'dope'

By Matthew Arco | August 28th, 2013 - 4:38pm

SEA BRIGHT – Gov. Chris Christie says he’s not worried in the least about anything The New York Times op-ed page has to say, arguing that  any Republican who would be distressed is sure to be in a “constant state of crisis.”

The governor responded to a Maureen Dowd piece Wednesday in which The New York Times’ columnist wrote American voters “like to elect nice guys, not belittling blowhards.”

Dowd, writing in response to the governor’s recent criticism of a New York Daily News reporter’s back-and-forth with Jets’ coach Rex Ryan, argued Christie needs to solve his “temperament problem” before stepping out on the national stage.

“I’m not running for anything nationally, so why should I care about that?” responded Christie to a question from a reporter on Dowd’s position that the New Jersey governor should keep his “shouting in check” if he wants to be president.

“I think folks around here know that I am willing to take as well as I give,” he said. “I didn’t wake up this morning worried and petrified about what Maureen Dowd on the op-ed page of The New York Times thinks about me.

“If you wake up as a Republican and worry about what the op-ed page of The New York Times thinks about you, you are going to be in a constant state of crisis.”

Christie defended his calling the New York Daily News reporter “a dope,” saying he is free in expressing his opinion. He added the newspaper was well within its right to express its opinion when it referred to the New Jersey governor as “fatso” in a recent headline.

“I don’t worry about this stuff. Whenever you express opinions in this world, other people have opinions about your opinions, and that’s OK,” he said. “So, you know, I thought a particular reporter was a dope, I said so, and I heard him on the radio today … and he seems like a very nice young man, a dope nonetheless, but a nice young man.”

http://www.politickernj.com/67988/christie-defends-calling-ny-daily-news-reporter-
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
muslimah
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I've always liked him

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I liked him about a year ago. And I defended him from a lot of conservatives, a lot of Republicans. I just thought he was socially klutsy. And hotheaded. At some point you have to ask yourself: Is it me? Or is it him? It took me a much longer time than most to finally say, "It's him." 

The whole Christie/Obama Kumbayah thing didn't bother me. What did was his demonizing and screaming at Republicans in Congress for not approving the Democrat, pork-laden Sandy Relief Bill #1, even when replacing it days later with a multimillion dollar less, 35% skinnier, pork-free Sandy Relief Bill #2. $50M compared to $65M, with no stupid crap going to Alaska and the other 47 states states other than NY and NJ.

My conclusion is his focus is New Jersey and HIMSELF - mostly him. He's like a bull in the china shop. He governs sort of like a conservative, but but more like a liberal. That's why so many people can't figure him out - and why he throws other Republicans under the bus. He forgets Reagan's "11th Commandment":  "Thou Shalt not speak ill of another Republican." Disagree, sure. Just don't speak ill of them. Unfortunately, he does it ALL THE TIME.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN