Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

House Republicans Refuse to Come Back Early from Vacation to Discuss Syria

Posted by   + Show Post

john-boehner-eric-cantor
Nothing gets in the way of the Republican House avoiding work. Not even voting on military action in Syria.

House leaders issued a statement saying that “serious, substantive” questions were being raised regarding Syria and they are so glad that the President is asking them to vote because this is so important, constitution, blah blah – oh, and they are going to take the measure up on September 9th, which is another way of saying they are not coming back early from vacaction for this “serious, substantive” matter.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA), Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) and Conference Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) today issued the following joint statement.

“Under the Constitution, the responsibility to declare war lies with Congress. We are glad the president is seeking authorization for any military action in Syria in response to serious, substantive questions being raised. In consultation with the president, we expect the House to consider a measure the week of September 9th. This provides the president time to make his case to Congress and the American people.”

Can you imagine if Democrats had told Bush they’d get back to him on Iraq when they were done with vacation?

This was to be expected by this House, after all, they are only planning on working 9 days in September.

And it’s not as if there’s anything major to deal with, like that debt ceiling threat they’ve been lording over us or anything. It’s not as if they should plan more days instead of less, based on their inability to even decide what the Republican position will be on any given issue. Nope, they’re just going to add Syria to the list and hope for the best.

Frankly, since they have already set historical records with their laziness and failure to pass legislation — only passing 4 out of 12 appropriations bills before they took off on yet another vacation, and when they are there they do nothing but try to harm America, we should be grateful that they are on “vacation” again.

I can hardly wait to see how they handle this “serious” matter. If it’s with the same gravitas as they approach our economy, we’re in deep Cheney doo-doo.

Bets on how long it will take them to try to use Syria as leverage for defunding ObamaCare?

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/08/31/house-republicans-refuse-early-vacation-discuss-syria.html

by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM
4 moms liked this
I open her posts just to see what lies she is believing.

Quoting grandmab125:

Another bullshit post from you, Celeste.  He didn't ask Congress to reconvene...

From The NewYorker:

August 31, 2013

Going to Congress: Obama’s Best Syria Decision

skylight555
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Remember when the democrats go AWOL several times?

jcrew6
by Jenney on Sep. 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM
2 moms liked this

OMG.  I don't know what is funnier. The OP, or the lib comments on here.  

Some facts for the small but supposedly 'open' minded leftists in this group. How about we discuss FACTS and not BS from liberal leaning POS blog(s)

Letter from Congressional Leaders: 

"“We are glad the president is seeking authorization for any military action in Syria in response to serious, substantive questions being raised. In consultation with the president, we expect the House to consider a measure the week of September 9th,” they said after President Barack Obama announced he would seek authorization from Congress to launch a military strike against Syria. “This provides the president time to make his case to Congress and the American people.”

joey125
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM

As I understand it, McCain, and Graham are speaking with the President now, they are the hawks in this whole thing, the rest of congress will come back the week of Sept 9th.     

joyfree
by Kat on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I was just watching the news on CBS and they showed videos of many congressional members returning...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57600875/obama-seeks-syria-strike-with-congress-approval/

"At least one lawmaker, however, warned that the president's decision to seek congressional approval was a mistake. "President Obama is abdicating his responsibility as commander-in-chief and undermining the authority of future presidents," warned Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., in a statement. "The President does not need Congress to authorize a strike on Syria. If Assad's use of chemical weapons against civilians deserves a military response, and I believe it does, and if the President is seeking congressional approval, then he should call Congress back into a special session at the earliest date."'

That paragraph demonstrates to me that the president cannot win, no matter what he does, sadly...

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Some Congressmen coming back early...doesn't mean squat.

Did you not read the article in your link?  It says the same thing I've already posted.  He will meet with Congress when it reconvenes on Sept. 9th.  He did not ask them to come back early.

"This morning I spoke with [congressional leaders in both houses from both parties], and they've agreed to schedule a debate and a vote as soon as Congress comes back into session," he said. "While I believe I have the authority to carry out this action without specific congressional authorization, our country will be stronger if we take this course."

Obama could have come out ahead of this whole thing, if he'd just kept his mouth shut, and not drawn that 'red line' in the sand in the first place.

Quoting joyfree:

I was just watching the news on CBS and they showed videos of many congressional members returning...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57600875/obama-seeks-syria-strike-with-congress-approval/

"At least one lawmaker, however, warned that the president's decision to seek congressional approval was a mistake. "President Obama is abdicating his responsibility as commander-in-chief and undermining the authority of future presidents," warned Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., in a statement. "The President does not need Congress to authorize a strike on Syria. If Assad's use of chemical weapons against civilians deserves a military response, and I believe it does, and if the President is seeking congressional approval, then he should call Congress back into a special session at the earliest date."'

That paragraph demonstrates to me that the president cannot win, no matter what he does, sadly...

grandma B

joyfree
by Kat on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Yeah, I did...I was pointing out that no matter what he does, he loses... Yes, most of them are not returning until next week.

Quoting grandmab125:

Some Congressmen coming back early...doesn't mean squat.

Did you not read the article in your link?  It says the same thing I've already posted.  He will meet with Congress when it reconvenes on Sept. 9th.  He did not ask them to come back early.

"This morning I spoke with [congressional leaders in both houses from both parties], and they've agreed to schedule a debate and a vote as soon as Congress comes back into session," he said. "While I believe I have the authority to carry out this action without specific congressional authorization, our country will be stronger if we take this course."

Obama could have come out ahead of this whole thing, if he'd just kept his mouth shut, and not drawn that 'red line' in the sand in the first place.

Quoting joyfree:

nicolelemmimg
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:00 AM

So sad...

nicolelemmimg
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:00 AM

So Sad...

joyfree
by Kat on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Well, looks like most of them did come back early after all... Good for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)