Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

I Don't Follow Politics

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 9 Replies
2 moms liked this

What I would like to say to someone who says they don't follow politics is:

Well, it might be less interesting than what any celebrities are doing or who they're currently doing.  It may be less interesting than the latest fashion or home decorating trends, or the newest thriller by the best known author out there.

If you'd rather pay attention to all that, as an amusement, as an aside to a harried day of study and/or work, and always do that and never pay attention to politics like grown ups used to do in past decades; then i guess you should be equally disinterested in

someone telling you what you can eat; someone telling you what can and cannot say; someone telling you what you can think; someone telling you what literature is prohibited; someone telling you what you can and cannot buy; someone telling you how much of your earnings to hand over to them; what is going to be done with your money, whether charitable or to fund a war, or to preserve a life or take an innocent life or to incarcerate someone without due process

someone telling you where you can live, or by what means you are being allowed to live; how old you are when you drive, drink and go off to die or be maimed in a war; someone telling you what size your family can be, or that you have one, or aren't allowed to have one;

how you may or how you may not defend yourself from robbers, murderers,rapists, pick-pockets, hackers and identity theives; what you can do to save your sick child; what you aren't allowed to do that you think is good for your child; how long you can live out your days in a nursing home or when the plug can be pulled

someone telling you what you may pray and when; what you cannot pray, and when not; who your god can be or whether you are allowed to share your gospel without fear of reprise; or if you can pray quietly in your own home with friends, or if a church for your congregation will be allowed to be built

whether you live, or whether you die.

If you don't care about politics, i guess you're willing to have someone decide all this for you, with the faith in these people that they will do all of this for your good, in your best interest, always and forever.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

You are correct!

mowen44
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this
The problem on this site is that we all believe that those that don't share our views are uninformed. I feel that my liberal views are well reasoned and sensible and my news sources like MSN and CNN are the most truthful. Conservative moms think I am uninformed because they think Fox tells the true story. Even when we hear the same facts and figures we draw very different conclusions. It is always tempting to blame ignorance or stupidity.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mowen44:

The problem on this site is that we all believe that those that don't share our views are uninformed. I feel that my liberal views are well reasoned and sensible and my news sources like MSN and CNN are the most truthful. Conservative moms think I am uninformed because they think Fox tells the true story. Even when we hear the same facts and figures we draw very different conclusions. It is always tempting to blame ignorance or stupidity.

Even MSNBC doesn't think that they are a news source anymore.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Thanks for sharing that, especially in a group that discusses News and Politics.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Whenever someone says that they are not interested in politics, I always say, that's too bad because Politics has sure been interested in you.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I agree
sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Yep.
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

BUMP!

JanuaryBaby06
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

Whenever someone says that they are not interested in politics, I always say, that's too bad because Politics has sure been interested in you.

I like that! Nice one!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)