Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

NAACP & KKK Hold Bizarre Meeting: What Did They Talk About?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 13 Replies

NAACP & KKK Hold Bizarre Meeting: What Did They Talk About?

by Jenny Erikson

Did you hear about the time that the KKK joined the NAACP? It sounds like the opening of a really bad and terribly racist joke, but it’s not. Because that just happened. Kind of.

Last Saturday, a secret meeting took place in Wyoming between Jimmy Simmons, a local representative of the NAACP, and John Abarr, a Ku Klux Klan organizer. The meeting ended with Abarr paying $50 to join the NAACP. That’s the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, people.

Does this strike anyone else as bizarre? It’s reported that Simmons is the one that asked for the meeting after hearing of KKK literature being distributed in nearby areas, and he said that the intent was to improve race relations.

Abarr is unsure if they accomplished anything and stated for the record, "We're not about violence. We're about being proud to be white."

Oh my gosh, I don’t care if someone is proud to be white, black, brown, red, yellow, or purple with polka dots and stripes, but why on Earth would they unabashedly associate themselves with a group of racity-racists? And then why would the NAACP lend legitimacy to such a group by hosting a meeting and letting their members join?

What were they thinking? What’s next? Jews reaching out to Nazi-sympathizers? There’s acceptance, and then there’s lunacy, and to me, this meeting falls into the latter category.

Do you think this meeting was a good idea?

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I consider both groups senseless. But I agree if they can find a common ground that would be great. However the KKK member told the NAACP they couldn't join because only whites can. One day evolution will catch up.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I dont (at this time anyway) see how this could be a bad thing... Change wont start overnight but imo this was a fine start.

ms-superwoman
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I don't see how it's a bad thing, I just don't understand what the point was...

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I hate to see the White Knights give any legitimacy to these Racists. but that's their business.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM

This is very strange,and I really can't figure out what good could come from it.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM
So, you believe that the NAACP is racist, but not the KKK?
Quoting Billiejeens:

I hate to see the White Knights give any legitimacy to these Racists. but that's their business.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I think the KKK talked about the NAACP being racist to whites, and I think the NAACP talked about the KKK being racist to blacks.

Pretty much what you would expect.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Quoting gludwig2000:

Quoting Billiejeens:

ignore her she is a race baiter and is just lookin for a reaction from someone.
joyfree
by Kat on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Show us your membership card, BJ. We know you have one!

Quoting Billiejeens:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Quoting gludwig2000:

Quoting Billiejeens:

I would say the knights are pretty neutral.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)