Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama to Give White House Address on Syria

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Eds
  • 17 Replies

Obama to Give White House Address on Syria

President Barack Obama will make his case to the American people for military intervention in Syria in a White House address on Tuesday.

Obama made the announcement Friday at a press conference in St. Petersburg, Russia, where he is wrapping up the two-day Group of 20 economic summit.

“In the coming days I’ll continue to consult with my fellow leaders around the world, and I will continue to consult with Congress. And I will make the best case that I can to the American people, as well as to the international community, for taking necessary and appropriate action,” Obama said. “And I intend to address the American people from the White House on Tuesday.”

Syrian President Bashar Assad used chemical weapons to kill 1,429 of his people in the midst of the Syrian civil war, according to U.S. intelligence.

“The security of the world and my particular task looking out for the national security of the United States requires that when there’s a breach this brazen of a norm this important and the international community is paralyzed and frozen and doesn’t act, then that norm begins to unravel,” Obama said. “If that norm unravels, then other norms and prohibitions start unraveling. And that makes for a more dangerous world. And that, then, requires even more difficult choices and more difficult responses in the future.”

Congress is currently considering a resolution authorizing Obama to take action in Syria.

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silver007
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM
6 moms liked this

I'd say a whole lot of "norms" have unraveled in North Korea's gulags and Iran's political prisons 

Not to mention the unraveling caused by a president standing by, lecturing and blustering for the past 2 years while 100,00 Syrians died from guns, knives and bombings in a civil war against a regime headed by a guy who Pelosi and Kerry wined and dined with over the past 5 years and called a moderate reformer

Now we all just look like stupid lying hypocrites who will only be stirred to action when the Saudis pay our troops to secure Syria for their pipeline

How many Syrians must we kill with missiles to teach Assad he cannot kill any more Syrians with gas?

(quote credits to Pat Buchanan)

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

clappingYES!

Quoting silver007:

I'd say a whole lot of "norms" have unraveled in North Korea's gulags and Iran's political prisons 

Not to mention the unraveling caused by a president standing by, lecturing and blustering for the past 2 years while 100,00 Syrians died from guns, knives and bombings in a civil war against a regime headed by a guy who Pelosi and Kerry wined and dined with over the past 5 years and called a moderate reformer

Now we all just look like stupid lying hypocrites who will only be stirred to action when the Saudis pay our troops to secure Syria for their pipeline

How many Syrians must we kill with missiles to teach Assad he cannot kill any more Syrians with gas?

(quote credits to Pat Buchanan)

sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

smh

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM
He's already made up his mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm really sick of hearing about this whole mess. It's a little too late to try to fix it now. The U.S.A. or any other country who thinks they can now get involved and solve this is only asking for disaster. Maybe 2 years ago before it got out of hand and all the radicals and terrorist got involved something could have done but at this point their getting involved will only make it worse for not just the Syrians but for their selves as well. I see this turning into another Iraq.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM
3 moms liked this

When all else fails, pull out the teleprompter.

Only it didn't work for the G-20.  

I think it will just make Americans more aware of the absurdity of fighting a war alongside Al Qaeda.

Dang - I think he's going to have to exchange these teleprompters - They are not working as he expected!

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

When all else fails, pull out the teleprompter.

Only it didn't work for the G-20.  

I think it will just make Americans more aware of the absurdity of fighting a war alongside Al Qaeda.

Dang - I think he's going to have to exchange these teleprompters - They are not working as he expected!

rolling on floor

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM
4 moms liked this

The other G-20 Countries aren't full of self hating whites who can't bring themselves to question the (half) black president.

lizzy_ellie
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Obamas true colors will be showing soon enough...

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Did Obama give this national speech? On Tuesday?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)