Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Unemployment Rate Down 0.5% in 56 Months Since Obama Became President

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 38 Replies

September 6, 2013 - 9:12 AM

Unemployment  Rate Down 0.5% in 56 Months Since Obama Became President

(Associated Press photo)

Over the last 56 months – since Barack Obama became president in January 2009 --unemployment has dropped 0.5%, from a rate of 7.8% in January 2009 down to 7.3% in August 2013, according to the latest numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).

During those 56 months, the unemployment rate rose substantially to a high of 10% in October 2009 and stayed in the high 9% range for 2010 and much of 2011. In January 2012, the unemployment rate was 8.3%. It crept down to 7.8% in December 2012, exactly what it was when Obama was inaugurated (and George W. Bush left office).

That rate has stayed in the mid-7% range so far in 2013 and is at 7.3% for August, according to the BLS data.

The unemployment rate has not fallen below 7.3% in the last 5-plus years.

The seasonally adjusted BLS data, released today, is for all U.S. workers ages 16 and older.

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzy_ellie
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM
3 moms liked this

Under President George W. Bush, unemployment rate ranged from 3.8 percent to 6.3 percent, except during his last five months, where the unemployment to go from 6.5 to 7.3 in Dec 2008, and then, the month Obama took office, it jumped to 7.8% in Jan 2009. NOTE THE NUMBER: 7.3%

Obama’s unemployment rate has ranged from 7.4 percent to 10 percent, with the average unemployment rate being over 8.6%. Compare that with the average official unemployment rate under Bush: 5.2%. For almost 5 years under Obama, unemployment stayed above 7.8% and above 8% for most of his first term – HIGHER FOR ALMOST 5 YEARS THAN THE WORST UNEMPLOYMENT UNDER BUSH. Even now, current 7.4% unemployment rate is STILL WORSE THAT AT ANY TIME FROM 2000 to 2008. The unemployment rate for Obama’s entire 5-year tenure has now been higher each and every month than the worst month of unemplyoment under Bush from Jan 2001 to Dec 2008.

And that is the official rate. Look behind that unemployment rate – at workforce participation (lower under Obama than its been in 50 years), poverty rates (higher under Obama to worst levels in decades), U-6 unemployment (higher under Obama than at any time in 20 years), the shift to part-time work (greater under Obama), and more long-term unemployed. When you combine that with other economic metrics, like GDP growth, and notice that under Obama we have had the lowest GDP growth of any 5 year period in the last 50 years, we have one obvious conclusion: The Obama economy is the worst economy in the US in our generation, perhaps worst since WWII.

(This is copied and pasted btw)

http://www.redstate.com/wosg/2013/09/02/the-obama-economy-still-is-a-miserable-failure/

casseopeia
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I have been unemployed or marginally employed since Obama took office.  They can skew and massage the numbers any way they want by counting part time and low-paid internships, but my own personal reality says it all to me.  There's plenty of work, just not a lot of income.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know where the two of you have been all my life,

But,

Welcome!

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

More barrels o' fun ahead!   :)

Quoting Billiejeens:

I don't know where the two of you have been all my life,

But,

Welcome!

Citygirlk
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

You shouldn't count 09and part of 2010 that (must I say it) wasn't his fault it was passed down.

Now bash away. Even though you know I'm right.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Umm

I believe she is on the right side of the conversation here.

Quoting SallyMJ:

We're talking the entire presidency so far, genius, not the end.

We should be way further ahead of unemployment than a 0.5% decrease. Geez, that is pathetic. Even FDR had a higher increase in the Great Depression.

And if we talk about the real unemployment rate now, it's about 12%.

Cuz remember, the number of working adults grows, but if the number of jobs doesn't increase by about 250,000 per month, we can't even maintain at the same level.

BTW, who cares if you copy and paste from a conservative website? If it's not in context, it is irrelevant. 

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

Under President George W. Bush, unemployment rate ranged from 3.8 percent to 6.3 percent, except during his last five months, where the unemployment to go from 6.5 to 7.3 in Dec 2008, and then, the month Obama took office, it jumped to 7.8% in Jan 2009. NOTE THE NUMBER: 7.3%

Obama’s unemployment rate has ranged from 7.4 percent to 10 percent, with the average unemployment rate being over 8.6%. Compare that with the average official unemployment rate under Bush: 5.2%. For almost 5 years under Obama, unemployment stayed above 7.8% and above 8% for most of his first term – HIGHER FOR ALMOST 5 YEARS THAN THE WORST UNEMPLOYMENT UNDER BUSH. Even now, current 7.4% unemployment rate is STILL WORSE THAT AT ANY TIME FROM 2000 to 2008. The unemployment rate for Obama’s entire 5-year tenure has now been higher each and every month than the worst month of unemplyoment under Bush from Jan 2001 to Dec 2008.

And that is the official rate. Look behind that unemployment rate – at workforce participation (lower under Obama than its been in 50 years), poverty rates (higher under Obama to worst levels in decades), U-6 unemployment (higher under Obama than at any time in 20 years), the shift to part-time work (greater under Obama), and more long-term unemployed. When you combine that with other economic metrics, like GDP growth, and notice that under Obama we have had the lowest GDP growth of any 5 year period in the last 50 years, we have one obvious conclusion: The Obama economy is the worst economy in the US in our generation, perhaps worst since WWII.

http://www.redstate.com/wosg/2013/09/02/the-obama-economy-still-is-a-miserable-failure/

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Oops, you're right.  Will fix.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Umm

I believe she is on the right side of the conversation here.

Quoting SallyMJ:

We're talking the entire presidency so far, genius, not the end.

We should be way further ahead of unemployment than a 0.5% decrease. Geez, that is pathetic. Even FDR had a higher increase in the Great Depression.

And if we talk about the real unemployment rate now, it's about 12%.

Cuz remember, the number of working adults grows, but if the number of jobs doesn't increase by about 250,000 per month, we can't even maintain at the same level.

BTW, who cares if you copy and paste from a conservative website? If it's not in context, it is irrelevant. 

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly. So people who have a part-time job are still looking for work.

One of the unintended consequences of Obamacare.

Quoting casseopeia:

I have been unemployed or marginally employed since Obama took office.  They can skew and massage the numbers any way they want by counting part time and low-paid internships, but my own personal reality says it all to me.  There's plenty of work, just not a lot of income.

casseopeia
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM

yep.  that's where I am right now, looking at nothing except for part-time temp contract work so that they don;t have to pay for my health care.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Exactly. So people who have a part-time job are still looking for work.

One of the unintended consequences of Obamacare.

Quoting casseopeia:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM
3 moms liked this

sidesplittinglaughter

It is 2013, dear. And the unemployment rate not being better than a pathetic 0.5% decrease after 56 months is WHY?

Clearly, something's not working. I wonder if it is the fact that Obama's strategies are the opposite of Reagan's in the huge recession that RR inherited from Carter? And the recessions that JFK, Clinton, and Bush 43 also inherited from their predecessors?

Presidents always inherit situations, good and bad, from their predecessors. The whole point of the job is to lead, and to do the best you can with what you have. Why Obama feels he should not be held to the same standard is beyond me.

Quoting Citygirlk:

You shouldn't count 09and part of 2010 that (must I say it) wasn't his fault it was passed down.

Now bash away. Even though you know I'm right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN