Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Dress code requires teachers to wear bras, underwear – starting next year

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

Dress code requires teachers to wear bras, underwear – starting next year Posted by EAGNEWS on Sep 5, 2013 in Culture, Education, Politics, Public Employee Unions Share5K Tweet25 2 Share1 Share5.1K LITTLE ROCK, Ark. –

All those teachers who take pride in their “free swinging” ways can breathe a sigh of relief – Little Rock’s new “restrictive” dress code won’t go into effect until next school year.

The school district is the latest to formalize a staff dress code policy that bans the typical things: t-shirts with inappropriate slogans, mini-skirts and flip-flops. But an interesting requirement is taking a breather for a year: “foundation garments.” As in bras and underwear.

District superintendent Dexter Suggs co-authored a letter with teachers union president Cathy Koehler, laying out the new rules. But the Arkansas Times reported when Suggs imposed the new policy, “complaints arose” and Suggs delayed implementation “to give staff time to adjust.”

Teachers have to adjust to wearing “foundation garments” to work? Just what kind of “free spirited” attitude do they have in Little Rock?

The newspaper reports many teachers weren’t happy with Suggs’ attempt to improve the school district’s “culture and environment.” Koehler admitted there was little the union could do because it doesn’t negotiate over the dress code. In response to members who said Koehler shouldn’t have gone along with the changes, she remarked that it is best to be “at the table, not on the menu.”

She added, “No Dress Code could ever meet every persons’ concerns or point-of-view. At best, one could hope to have something that did the least amount of harm to employees.”

A dress code can bring “harm” to employees? Really?

Some of the new rules that apparently could bring “harm” to teachers include: No clothing with patches or slogans referring to alcohol, cigarettes, obscenities, sexual references and the like; no jeans, except on designated days; no casual T-shirts — faded, sheer, out of shape or inappropriately sized; no mini-skirts, halter tops, backless or sheer dresses; only “dress casual” shorts; no flip-flops; and no hats in buildings, except religious head coverings, the paper reported.

Remarkably, this isn’t the first incident of union hand-wringing over wearing more professional attire in the classroom. A union attorney for Lewis County, West Virginia teachers claimed a proposed dress code policy was a violation of his members’ “statutory and constitutional rights” and threatened court action. That dress code didn’t even mention “foundation garments.”

In New Hampshire, a school board proposed banning blue jeans, sneakers, slip-flops and tank tops. The superintendent told the board that teachers felt such a policy was “derogatory and condescending.”

By Kyle Olson at EAGnews.org
Read more at http://joeforamerica.com/2013/09/dress-code-requires-teachers-wear-bras-underwear-starting-next-year/#4fGkK6CzfGyO6J0E.99

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gludwig2000
by Gina on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM
2 moms liked this
As far as I am concerned, they should have the same dress code as their students. But seriously, do some teachers really go to teach class with it all hanging out? Unbelievable.
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Since when do teachers go to school wearing no bras and/or underwear,   To have insisted upon a dress code..something must have been hanging out, jiggling, or exposed...

going crazy

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

It sure makes me wonder what those teachers were not wearing!

Shoot I remember when teachers had to wear dress clothes every day--and then students actually DID LEARN!

kckmom3
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM
7 moms liked this

I can't believe that these ADULTS are complaining about having to dress like professionals!!!

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM
7 moms liked this
Ummm, I got nothing. I can't even imagine that teachers, or anyone besides a stripper, would need to be told that bras and undies are not optional. I feel very OLD.

Most of my teachers wore nice professional clothing. In fact most of the men, other than the gym and shop teachers wore suits, or at least a sports coat. Women wore dresses, skirts or dress pants and all of it was modest, as in no visible cleavage or mini skirts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM
4 moms liked this

Wow.  It's pretty sad when the ones teaching our kids have to be told how to dress in a professional way.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting gsprofval:

It sure makes me wonder what those teachers were not wearing!

Shoot I remember when teachers had to wear dress clothes every day--and then students actually DID LEARN!

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG.  Your last sentence just gave me some bad mental images of the old lady teachers I used to have in school.  lol

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Since when do teachers go to school wearing no bras and/or underwear,   To have insisted upon a dress code..something must have been hanging out, jiggling, or exposed...

going crazy

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this
My son who is now 21 had two teachers who were very young his sophomore year and both wore tank tops with built in bras.... Except everyone knows those aren't for big breasted women... These young ladies showed off a large amount of breast and couple that with right fitting pants, you can tell if someone has underwear on.. Or not. The school implemented a similar policy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM
4 moms liked this

Interesting...    How times have changed....

Notice #7, #9, and #10 below...

Following is a list of rules for a teacher in 1915:

1. You will not marry during the term of your contract. You are not to keep company with men.
  2. You must be home between the hours of 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. unless attending a school function.
  3. You may not loiter downtown in any ice cream stores.
  4. You may not travel beyond the city limits unless you have permission of the chairmen of the board.
  5. You may not smoke cigarettes.
  6. You may not under any circumstances dye your hair.
  7. You may not dress in bright colors.
  8. You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man unless he be your father or brother.
  9. You must wear at least two petticoats.
  10. Your dresses must not be any shorter than 2 inches above the ankles.

laughing

These women of today don't know how how easy they have it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN