Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Study Reveals E-Cigarettes Contain Formaldehyde and Produce Toxic Secondhand “Smoke”

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 13 Replies

The trendy e-cig may not be as “safe” as originally thought. A new study shows that they contain volatile organic compounds, acetone, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, benzopyrene as well as silicate and various metal particles. The German Cancer Research Center, Heildelberg calls the e-cigarette, “An uncontrolled experiment with Consumers.”

Electronic cigarettes are not emission-free. E-cigarettes contain volatile organic substances, including propylene glycol, flavors and nicotine, and are emitted as mist or aerosol into indoor air. Study showed that these ultrafine liquid particles of less than 2.5 micrometer in diameter may penetrate deeply into the lungs. Study further showed that these e-cigarettes produce substantially fewer ultrafine particles than conventional cigarettes, however, the substances emitted by e-cigarettes may be inhaled by non-users when used indoor. Second-hand exposure to e-cigarette emission which may lead to adverse health effects cannot be excluded says the German Cancer Research Center, Heildelberg.

The study goes on to say that the findings revealed the following about the emissions of e-cigarette: a) besides glycol (the main ingredient), nicotine, flavors, tobacco-specific nitrosamines, volatile organic compounds, acetone, formaldehyde. acetaldehyde, benzo(a)pyrene as well as silicate and various metal particles are present, and b) the particle size is between I00 and 600 nanometers, which is comparable to the particle size found in tobacco smoke of conventional cigarettes. The levels of most harmful substances are lower in thee-cigarettes than in conventional cigarette smoke, but they do accumulate in indoor air.

Not that anyone needed a study to tell them that inhaling unknown vapors is unhealthy, but it is good to know that it does produce “secondhand” harms so people can take precautions around their children and others. The one thing that we can definitely count on from this study is that it will not be long before the state begins violating the property rights of business owners by mandating that they disallow e-cig smoking on their private property.

Read more at http://www.realfarmacy.com/study-reveals-e-cigarettes-toxic/#C3E301YTddcgybqI.99 

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pema_Jampa
IDFWU
Yesterday at 2:54 PM
Big Sean - I Don't Fuck With You (Explicit) ft. E-40

"I Don't F**k With You" f. E-40 Available Now iTunes: http://smarturl.it/iIDFWU?IQid=vevovideo Google Play: http://smarturl.it/gIDFWU?IQid=vevovideo Amazon: ...

by 2HotTacoTini on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Crap! I wanted to get one. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Interesting - but I wish this study were actually a scientific study instead of a narrative.

I suppose we will need to see what the scientific studies say. Interesting that lots of health care professionals here have said e-cigs are safe.

We'll see.

Thanks for posting. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Check the study. It's really not a scientific study. It's more of a narrative, more theoretical.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Pema_Jampa
IDFWU

"I Don't F**k With You" f. E-40 Available Now iTunes: http://smarturl.it/iIDFWU?IQid=vevovideo Google Play: http://smarturl.it/gIDFWU?IQid=vevovideo Amazon: ...

by 2HotTacoTini on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Do you smoke?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Check the study. It's really not a scientific study. It's more of a narrative, more theoretical.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Never, thank God. But I have some family members and friends who do. And I hear it is THE most difficult addiction to break.

Maybe you could try the patch, and see if anything else comes up with the e-cig. Or talk with your doctor.

I was just saying what I learned from the linked article / "study." My point is that it does not read like a scientific/medical study. Compare the two. So I would be hesitant to believe what it says. Just because it says it's a study doesn't mean it is one. Kind of like poorly designed polls. If the methodology is wrong, you can say whatever you want. That bothers me - I think it's dishonest. Despite whether I agree with the premise. My opinion is that it doesn't reflect well on the scientific method.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Do you smoke?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Pema_Jampa
IDFWU

by 2HotTacoTini on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I can stop. Normally I have another baby and that forces me to quit. I enjoy a smoke when I am drinking. My guy will have a cigar. It's difficult when the person you aren't with isn't a smoker. 

I tried the patch thing while in NYC. I forgot I had it on and had a cig. I know horrible but in all honesty the best cig of my life. I was like ...why is this sooo good?! oh crap! I have my patch on. FAIL Pema!

Yea I'd like to know if it is better. I'd love to have something less toxic to have around others and minus the smoke smell. I was thinking about getting one for this weekend. We are going to be celebrating some birthdays and going out for dinner and drinks.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Never, thank God. But I have some family members and friends who do. And I hear it is THE most difficult addiction to break.

Maybe you could try the patch, and see if anything else comes up with the e-cig. Or talk with your doctor.

I was just saying what I learned from the linked article / "study." My point is that it does not read like a scientific/medical study. Compare the two. So I would be hesitant to believe what it says. Just because it says it's a study doesn't mean it is one. Kind of like poorly designed polls. If the methodology is wrong, you can say whatever you want. That bothers me - I think it's dishonest. Despite whether I agree with the premise. My opinion is that it doesn't reflect well on the scientific method.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Do you smoke?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

PamR
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I don't know why anyone would use these except as a stepping stone toward quitting smoking.  They look silly.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Of course they aren't good for you they are still filled with unhealthy crap. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

You know, this is my thought:

My thought is: Which is worse: real cigs or e-cigs? The real cigs, obviously. By a long shot. I'd say it's at most only 25% as bad. That's a hell of a lot less. And, you're right - no smell.Your real perfume will win.  :)

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

I can stop. Normally I have another baby and that forces me to quit. I enjoy a smoke when I am drinking. My guy will have a cigar. It's difficult when the person you aren't with isn't a smoker. 

I tried the patch thing while in NYC. I forgot I had it on and had a cig. I know horrible but in all honesty the best cig of my life. I was like ...why is this sooo good?! oh crap! I have my patch on. FAIL Pema!

Yea I'd like to know if it is better. I'd love to have something less toxic to have around others and minus the smoke smell. I was thinking about getting one for this weekend. We are going to be celebrating some birthdays and going out for dinner and drinks.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Do you smoke?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Still not as bad as the real thing though...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN