Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

How do you see America's role in the world -- are you surprised to hear Obama say we are not the world's policeman?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM
  • 15 Replies

President Obama's Speech on Syria: Vote on Strikes Postponed (VIDEO)

by Adriana Velez

obama syria speechTonight President Obama gave a speech the conflict in Syria in which he announced that we would not be planning any moves any time soon. "I have ... asked the leaders of Congress to postpone a vote to authorize the use of force while we pursue this diplomatic path," he said this evening. Or, if you're cynical and on Twitter, you could put it this way: The war on Syria has been cancelled. For now.

"America is not the world's policeman. Terrible things happen across the globe and it is beyond our means to right every wrong." I think for many of us, this changes how we see America's role in the world. As Obama put it in his speech, "For nearly seven decades, the United States has been the anchor of stability." We've been an anchor of stability, but we haven't been the world's Superman. 

A few of you may be wondering, what just happened? Here's a brief recap of the day.

1. The plan was for Congress to vote on whether or not American should make strategic strikes against Syria. The President had said he would not order boots-on-the-ground action there.

2. Russian diplomats asked Syria to reveal and give up its chemical weapons arsenal and sign a chemical weapons convention. 

3. Syria said YES!

4. This took the pressure off a hot situation.

Back to Obama, who could now back off on his call for strikes: "I have a deeply-held preference for peaceful solutions," he said tonight. But the conflict in Syria isn't over, and strikes against Syria aren't completely off the table. The President said that he has "ordered our military to maintain their current posture to keep the pressure on Assad." 

Russia's diplomatic victory definitely buys us some time to give the idea of intervention the serious thought it deserves, though. Obama made appeals to the right and the left.

To my friends on the right, I ask you to reconcile your commitment to America’s military might with the failure to act when a cause is so plainly just. To my friends on the left, I ask you to reconcile your belief in freedom and dignity for all people with those images of children writhing in pain and going still on a cold hospital floor, for sometimes resolutions and statements of condemnation are simply not enough.

So if we want to be an anchor of stability and not stand by and watch a brutal regime attack its own people, what do we do? Well, as of tonight, we live to debate another day. "The burdens of leadership are often heavy," Obama said tonight, "But the world's a better place because we have borne them." 

Read a transcript of Obama's speech tonight. Learn more about Obama's response to the Assad regime's use of chemical weapons.

How do you see America's role in the world -- are you surprised to hear Obama say we are not the world's policeman?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not surprised at anything he says.

He's a disgusting human being.

SherryBerry106
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

No.

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I am kind of glad he said this.  My DH and I were talking about it last night.  We are not the world police.  We have so many issues here on our own soil that I think it is time we focus on that, put the money towards that and keep to ourselves a bit.  If a country wants to outright attack its own citizens that is now our problem.'

Heartless...maybe.  The truth...yes.

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Of course we are not the world's policeman.  And why would we want to be?

Let other countries step up and create/join coalitions to police one another and themselves.  Let us all share responsibility - doing so would help alleviate the resentment so many people outside our borders feel towards us.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I actually find his statement odd..he "polices" everyone whether they know it or not..whether it's constitutional or not.  I don't see this country as anything right now but a country in TROUBLE under bad management.

sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I was surprised that he said that, considering most do consider us the world's police.  

rebeccab1966
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Syria has been embroiled in a civil war for decades.  There are no "good guys" there.  Who would we be policing there?  If we do a military strike, Obama said the next day we'd return to working on peace with them.  And how do we do that exactly?  There is NO end game here.  We need to stay out of it.  We could wind up making things even worse for Syrian citizens than it is now.

susan115
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

See, I disagree, we NEED to be the policemen of the world.  There are so many bad leaders out their and protecting our own and the world is our job.  Because, at the end of the day United Nations is not to be trusted.  During WW2, Switerzland, Spain, Denmark, Swenden, and others could not be trusted to stop the slaughter of millions.  Those, so-called "educated" countries did nothing and we did nothing until Pearl Harbor.  Evil must be stopped.  Yes, we do make mistakes, but stopping evil is our job, because others can't be trusted.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

I am kind of glad he said this.  My DH and I were talking about it last night.  We are not the world police.  We have so many issues here on our own soil that I think it is time we focus on that, put the money towards that and keep to ourselves a bit.  If a country wants to outright attack its own citizens that is now our problem.'

jcrew6
by Jenney on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Obama has set a foreign policy based on a gaffe Kerry made and Russia "followed through" on.  Not my idea of true leadership, but it appears to work for 'some'. 

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM

We don't have the money.  If we can't put money towards helping our own people then what makes you think we need to help others?

And no we don't need to stop the evil.  There will always be "evil" in this world.  People need to learn to take care of themselves.

Quoting susan115:

See, I disagree, we NEED to be the policemen of the world.  There are so many bad leaders out their and protecting our own and the world is our job.  Because, at the end of the day United Nations is not to be trusted.  During WW2, Switerzland, Spain, Denmark, Swenden, and others could not be trusted to stop the slaughter of millions.  Those, so-called "educated" countries did nothing and we did nothing until Pearl Harbor.  Evil must be stopped.  Yes, we do make mistakes, but stopping evil is our job, because others can't be trusted.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)