Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'What's wrong with this METAPHORICAL picture?' (not the photo) - NOTICE THE TOPIC, NOTICE THE DATE OF THE ARTICLE

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:40 AM
  • 27 Replies

by 

In September 2008, the outlook for the financial system couldn’t have been worse. Markets were plunging, layoffs were mounting, and Congress was scrambling. As Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke warned lawmakers in an emergency meeting that month, without a $700 billion bank bailout, “We may not have an economy on Monday.”

The aftermath upended countless lives. By the low point of the recession, Americans’ retirement savings had shrunk by about $2.5 trillion. More than 8.8 million jobs were lost, and roughly 3 million homes had gone into foreclosure.

Five years later, the economy is on the mend, but the legacy of the crash still reverberates. Yesterday, FRONTLINE began a two-day conversation exploring where we are a half decade after the crisis. Day 1 of the discussion examined how the meltdown reshaped the nation.

Today, we turn the focus to what it has meant for the policing of Wall Street. Five years on, not one major bank or top executive has been prosecuted for the crisis. Did federal authorities blow the case? Looking ahead, will they be tougher?

The conversation will begin below at 11:00 am and continue throughout the afternoon.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/business-economy-financial-crisis/untouchables/still-untouchable-policing-wall-st-5-years-after-the-crisis/
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by Rene on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:17 AM

?

stringtheory
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Quoting survivorinohio:

?

Billiejeens
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Confusing,

Not what is wrong with the "picture" literally. right?

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Uhhhhh. Coffee pot needs refilling
JustCJ
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM

blank stare

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I feel confused
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catevincesmom
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Date has no year, topic is Wall St, but pic is Dept. of justice.  Is that what you were looking for?  :-)

jadedcynic
by Nerdilicious on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

So PBS is criticizing the way Washington polices Wall Street. They are one of the most objective news sources. What's your issue?

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I am wondering the same thing.  Wall Street all  but ruined America.  And no one was held accountable.  Instead they were bailed out while thousands of Americans lost their jobs, homes and livelihoods.  Seems to me that it is very telling of the Obama Administration's view point on Wall Street.  The view must be interesting from that pocket.

Quoting jadedcynic:

So PBS is criticizing the way Washington polices Wall Street. They are one of the most objective news sources. What's your issue?

survivorinohio
by Rene on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I agree but I think that its more indicative of our governments view on Wall street not just Obamas.  Wall stree is more powerful than they ought to be.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

I am wondering the same thing.  Wall Street all  but ruined America.  And no one was held accountable.  Instead they were bailed out while thousands of Americans lost their jobs, homes and livelihoods.  Seems to me that it is very telling of the Obama Administration's view point on Wall Street.  The view must be interesting from that pocket.

Quoting jadedcynic:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)