Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do you think Obamacare is working?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:02 AM
  • 39 Replies

Obamacare Isn’t Working If Employees Are Losing Health Benefits

by Jenny Erikson

Remember when President Obama said, “If you like your plan, you can keep your plan?” Yeah, that hasn’t exactly ended up being the case, has it? Even Teamsters Union President James Hoffa warned that Obamacare would “shatter” health care benefits.

Indeed, the latest round of those losing their plans (that they liked) are part-time workers at Trader Joe’s. The low-cost chain grocery store has broken industry standards (until now) by offering its health care, dental, and vision plans to part-time workers at a reasonable price.

Unfortunately, with the cost of health care rising, combined with the availability of Obamacare exchanges coming about in 2014, TJ’s (as it’s known in our house) has reportedly declined to continue offering health insurance to employees working less than 30 hours a week.

In a confidential memo dated August 30, CEO Dan Bane said that while health insurance will be cut for part-time workers, the company plans to issue checks to them for $500 each in January, and help them find a new plan under the Affordable Care Act.

I think that’s actually mighty kind of them, as they’re under no obligation to do so.

Predictably, the libs over at Think Progress believe this is a sign that Obamacare is working, because you know, companies like Trader Joe’s only offered awesome health care benefits because no government options were available before now. Actually, companies have never been obligated to provide health insurance for employees. That’s why they call it a benefit.

And now they can’t afford to anymore, thanks to onerous Obamacare provisions that have skyrocketed the cost of such programs. Don’t worry though; I’m sure everything will work out fine with government-run health care. I mean, Medicare is basically perfect, right?

Do you think Obamacare is working?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gsprofval
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Sure! ocostuscare is working to ruin our country, destroy jobs, families, companies, ration any kind of healthcare.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:14 AM
4 moms liked this

Oh indubitably

One has to understand that the plan of the ACA was to crash the system so that the American People would be in a crisis (never waste a good crisis) circumstance to the point where they would finally just have no choice but to accept single payer.

It is working outstandingly.

JustCJ
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM
4 moms liked this

Yep! Working as planned. Thanks Obama voters you rock

Quoting gsprofval:

Sure! ocostuscare is working to ruin our country, destroy jobs, families, companies, ration any kind of healthcare.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:31 AM
3 moms liked this

People who fought for it, now don't want anything to do with it....unions, universities...how many waivers have been issued....delayed start date....increased premiums...can't keep your doctor.  Working?   That's an easy answer....NO!

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't stress enough that the entire plan was that it was a gateway to single payer, though.

We simply can not get in the weeds on the details.

Quoting rocketracer:

People who fought for it, now don't want anything to do with it....unions, universities...how many waivers have been issued....delayed start date....increased premiums...can't keep your doctor.  Working?   That's an easy answer....NO!

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Yes.
rocketracer
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Yeah I know single payer is the goal....In the past BO even said so...

Quoting Billiejeens:

I can't stress enough that the entire plan was that it was a gateway to single payer, though.

Quoting rocketracer:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:05 AM

No doubt in my mind that you know, but........................

Quoting rocketracer:

Yeah I know single payer is the goal....In the past BO even said so...

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting rocketracer:

sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Well, it sure isn't bringing people together.

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.  The goal for any health care policy should be to curb our escalating health care costs.  (By health care costs, I do not mean premiums - I mean, literally, the cost of a doctor's visit or the cost of a hospital bed.)

Based on early evidence (that I recognize is premature), Obamacare is working.  But much more needs to be done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)