Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In Email, Zimmerman’s Local Police Chief Agrees He’s Another ‘Sandy Hook’ Waiting To Happen

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM
  • 44 Replies

In Email, Zimmerman’s Local Police Chief Agrees He’s Another ‘Sandy Hook’ Waiting To Happen

BY JUDD LEGUM ON SEPTEMBER 12, 2013 AT 5:11 PM

Lake Mary Police Chief Steve Bracknell

Lake Mary Police Chief Steve Bracknell

Police Chief Steve Bracknell, who is responsible for the Florida town where George Zimmerman resides, agreed in a series of emails that Zimmerman is a “ticking time bomb” and another “Sandy Hook” waiting to happen.

Bracknell expressed his views in response to two emails from Santiago Rodriguez, who reached Bracknell through a contact form on the police department’s website. Bracknell confirmed the emails’ authenticity to ThinkProgress and subsequently tried to distance himself from the remarks.

Rodriguez’s first email was an extended, and sometimes angry, critique of how the Lake Mary Police Department handled their response to the recent altercation between George Zimmerman, his wife and his father in law. Rodriguez told Bracknell that he had a responsibility to charge Zimmerman because he was another “Sandy Hook… waiting to happen.” Bracknell responded with a detailed defense of the police department’s conduct, but explicitly endorsed Rodriguez’s comments on Sandy Hook.

zimmerman_emails_quotes-16

[Ellipses are from the original email.]

Asked to elaborate on his email, Bracknell attempted to distance himself from Rodriguez’s comments, saying he did not agree and was “referring to the fact that [Zimmerman] seems to be involved in incidents” involving firearms.

In his second email, Rodriguez called Zimmerman a “ticking time bomb” who will snap “sooner or later.” Again, Bracknell agreed.

zimmerman_emails_quotes-15

The full email exchange between Rodriguez and Bracknell is available here.

The police are still deciding whether or not to charge Zimmerman in connection to the incident. They are attempting to recover video of alleged assault that Zimmerman’s wife, Shellie, recorded with her iPad. Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, acknowledged that Zimmerman broke the iPad into pieces before the police arrived. According to witnesses, Zimmerman also punched his father-in-law in the nose.

In her call to 911, Shellie Zimmerman told the police that Zimmerman was threatening her with his gun. “I don’t know what he’s capable of. I’m really, really scared,” Shellie said.

Zimmerman told police at the scene that he did not have a gun, according to Bracknell and a police department spokesman. O’Mara, however, insisted on CNN that he did have a gun on him during the entire incident. Bracknell told ThinkProgress that one of them isn’t “telling the truth.”

What is not in dispute is that Zimmerman, despite his legal troubles and the police chief’s concerns, is still permitted to carry a concealed weapon in the State of Florida. In Florida, unlike other states like New York and New Jersey, authorities have no discretion over whether to grant or revoke concealed carry permits. Dr. Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, recently told Salon, “You’ve got all kinds of George Zimmermans and everything in between there who fall through the cracks of our exclusions. But if you ask any reasonable person how comfortable they are with an individual like that running around with a concealed, loaded gun, the vast majority would say they are not.”

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by Rene on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

No, not George!

29again
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM
3 moms liked this

dancingMore twist and spin....

Naturewoman4
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:29 PM
3 moms liked this
Omg, this is just totally insane! It's almost funny, but it's not. I don't know what the fascination is over GZ and how 'some' people are so obsessed over ANYTHING that comes out concerning GZ. I would think by now people would smarten up and know that ALL this is just for publicity to make money. WHY anyone would even put up a post like this, is very distrubing to me. All we're getting is a bunch of lies being told, just like what happen last yr. when this case first came out. SO, come on people. Are you for real?
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Jesus, woman.  Your obsession with Zimmerman  is out of control.  Get a grip on reality before it's too late.

Naturewoman4
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Also, in regards to this Dr. that stated that if you ask any 'reasonable' person how comfortable they are with an indiviual like that running around with a concealed loaded gun, the vast majority would say that they are not. How does this person that made that statement knows what is in the minds of people? I would disagree, and suspect the majority of Americans would also disagree with that statement. This is all just SO stupid. GZ was found not-guilty. It was self-defense, and he was attacked by TM and yelled out for help for several mins. He didn't even have to wait that long, but he did. Then, he felt his life was in danger, & he was forced to do what he did. Why that is so hard for people to understand, I will never understand. People should be more afraid for ALL the thugs that are running around in our communities, that want to rob you, attack you for fun or kill you. The Media and whomever else that just doesn't want to let this go, should be ashamed of themselves.
29again
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not afraid of George going around with a gun. 

And he didn't have a gun that day.  Shelley lied.  (BIG surprise, I know.)

Naturewoman4
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I know grandmab125, isn't this unbelievable?!? I would say it's funny when I read the title, but honestly it's not. It's disgusting and distrubing! I guess this is what we are going to keep hearing from now on. People that are anti-GZ are going to just continue to spit out lies, just like what happen in the beginning of this case last yr. I mean, WHERE do they get this stuff? Just when I was beginning to get past all of this, now it seems people are starting to bring all of this up again. With more lies and sillyness. I guess if this continues I will have to set the record straight and get back into all what TM & his parents did again. Which I don't want to.
Quoting grandmab125:

Jesus, woman.  Your obsession with Zimmerman  is out of control.  Get a grip on reality before it's too late.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Mmm....Look at the format in supposed e-mails?  Does yours look anything like this?  Mine sure doesn't.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Della529
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:58 AM
3 moms liked this

LOL at the replies in this thread!

This is a real email track, yet soooo many question, and some didn't even bother to read, it.

Gotta LOVE Georgie's "fan club".

Quoting -Celestial-:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)