Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Assad tells Obama to stop arming rebels, or no deal

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:50 PM
  • 13 Replies
President Obama must promise not to arm rebel forces or Syrian dictator Bashar Assad will not hand over his chemical weapons, the embattled leader told a Russian state media outlet today while demanding that Israel also surrender its nuclear arsenal.

“When we see that the U.S. genuinely stands for stability in our region, stops threatening us with military intervention and stops supplying terrorists with weapons, then we will consider it possible to finalize all necessary procedures and they will become legitimate and acceptable for Syria," Assad told RIA News.

Obama asked Congress to postpone a vote authorizing use of military force in Syria after Russian President Vladimir Putin offered to broker a deal whereby the U.S. would not attack the Assad regime if he surrendered his chemical weapons.

Assad said that the Middle East won't have peace until Israel also surrenders its weapons of mass destruction.

“If we really want stability in the Middle East, all the countries [in the region] must honor the agreements. And the first country to do so is Israel because it possesses nuclear, chemical and biological weapons – all types of weapons of mass destruction,”

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/assad-dictates-to-obama-stop-arming-rebels-or-no-deal/article/2535700
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

If Syria wants a dictator for the rest of civilization let them have it, with all the suffering that goes with it.

No one knows who the real rebels are in those kind of regimes.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:04 AM
I agree. Leave them alone. Give them what they want. The US won't, though. We'll go in, kill a bunch of them, station ourselves there, and never leave. Then they can be free from tyrants.

:/

Quoting -Celestial-:

If Syria wants a dictator for the rest of civilization let them have it, with all the suffering that goes with it.

No one knows who the real rebels are in those kind of regimes.

Citygirlk
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Sure that will happen....

kcangel63
by Amanda on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM
The US is all spluttering. They can't understand why we would need to give up our chemical weapons. That's not fair! We trust us to use them appropriately! LOLOL

Quoting Citygirlk:

Sure that will happen....

Donna6503
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Funny, Syria is still saying they have no chemical weapons, so what are they (Syria) offering to US to make a deal?

(It's not like Syria is going to stop killing rebels)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by Amanda on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM
You mean Al-Qeada? The rebels that the USA has been killing due to them being a terrorist organization, until we decided to band together because they are 'good guys' now? Those rebels?

"WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has formally designated a rebel group fighting in Syria as a terrorist organization in an effort to marginalize the Al Qaeda affiliate and reduce its chances of gaining power should the Syrian government fall."

Quoting Donna6503:

Funny, Syria is still saying they have no chemical weapons, so what are they (Syria) offering to US to make a deal?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It's really sad when a brutal dictator understands better than an American President how to resolve a potential international military conflict.

How is "boots on the ground" less of a war than arming terrorists?

Good Lord!

Donna6503
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM
No, I mean Syria and Assad, they are still are claiming that they don't have any chemical weapons. But, they will get rid of em, yet, they don't have 'em.

(Eye rolls)

Quoting kcangel63:

You mean Al-Qeada? The rebels that the USA has been killing due to them being a terrorist organization, until we decided to band together because they are 'good guys' now? Those rebels?

"WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has formally designated a rebel group fighting in Syria as a terrorist organization in an effort to marginalize the Al Qaeda affiliate and reduce its chances of gaining power should the Syrian government fall."

Quoting Donna6503:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by Amanda on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I was replying to this part...

"(It's not like Syria is going to stop killing rebels)"

Sorry. I had it written out better, but my phone refreshed and I had to retype it. I get so aggravated when it does that. I can be off my page for 15 seconds and it refreshes. Other times I'll be off for 15 minutes and it doesn't. :/

Quoting Donna6503:

No, I mean Syria and Assad, they are still are claiming that they don't have any chemical weapons. But, they will get rid of em, yet, they don't have 'em.

(Eye rolls)

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting Donna6503:

Donna6503
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Sorry 'bout that. (on mobile too)

While Al-Qeada is a part of the rebel group (a large part) they aren't the only part. As far as Assad is concern, anyone who doesn't support Assad is a "rebel."

Quoting kcangel63:

I was replying to this part...

"(It's not like Syria is going to stop killing rebels)"

Sorry. I had it written out better, but my phone refreshed and I had to retype it. I get so aggravated when it does that. I can be off my page for 15 seconds and it refreshes. Other times I'll be off for 15 minutes and it doesn't. :/

Quoting Donna6503:

(Eye rolls)

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting Donna6503:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)