Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The World’s Next Big War Is Coming: What You Need to Know (It’s Not Syria)

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM
  • 2 Replies

The World’s Next Big War Is Coming: What You Need to Know (It’s Not Syria)

by Rebecca Stokes

A 40-year-old man was recently shot as he tried to swim from South Korea into North Korea. Say what? I'm not a huge news person, but even I knew that this headline didn't sound right.

I knew that North Korea and South Korea don't get along, and that North Korea is a rough place to live. So why would someone want to get in there? I mean, North Korea is ruled by a crazy dude who thinks he's god, and South Korea is the ancestral home of Margaret Cho and the birthplace of awesome K-Pop -- exhibit Psy.

Then I realized that a country divided down the middle is something I can't begin to comprehend. Can you imagine having no idea what's going on over your country's border? Or being separated from your family?

This shooting made me curious about North Korea. What's the soruce of all this tension? I dug up some factoids on both countries that make the whole deal a little less confusing.

1. South Korea is all about capitalism - clothes! Music! Travel!

2. North Korea is a communist country with a long history of famine and drought.

3. Its fiercely guarded borders make it almost impossible to leave.

4. Their leader Kim Jong-Un is essentially a dictator. He keeps the nation cut off from foreign aid. No wonder folks are fleeing for freer pastures. It reminds me a lot of East and West Berlin back in the days before the wall came down (Oh David Hasselhoff, sing your heart out!) Only here the stakes are even higher...

5. Because North Korea is armed with nuclear weapons.

6. But, they aren't part of the nuclear proliferation treaty like the US.

7. They continually make threats against other nations that are entirely empty. They are too economically weak to be a real threat to the US.

Sadly, they are definitely a threat to their own people who, are dying because of the divide. It's tragic that one man had to be taken down by the "freer" country because of the North's total insanity. It's an unbelievable situation. 

Can you imagine living in a country split down the middle?

Do you agree this is likely the next big war on the horizon?

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I don't know.  I know I absolutely do not want to be a part of it, if it is.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Can you imagine living in a country split down the middle?

Yes I can, this country is split the same way, all the heartland where the reasonable people live and then you have the few blue states where the wanna be Comminists live. Here it is worse because South Korea has it's own Government, not ruled by a dictator as we are.

Do you agree this is likely the next big war on the horizon?

No, the next big war is the American culture war.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN