Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obamacare Software Glitch Providing Wrong Prices

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 9 Replies

An Obamacare software glitch is now incorrectly tabulating how much people must pay for health insurance, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal

"There's a blanket acknowledgment that rates are being calculated incorrectly," a senior health insurance executive told the WSJ. "Our tech and operations people are very concerned about the problems they're seeing and the potential of them to stick around."

Government officials, however, say they are not worried and promised the Obamacare insurance exchanges will be ready to go on October 1. "We continue working with [insurers] and we are confident that on Oct. 1, consumers will see accurate premium costs, including tax credits," said Medicare spokesperson Brian Cook. 

The group responsible for building the calculator application, CGI Group Inc., bagged an $88 million taxpayer-funded government contract, the largest of any contractor, reports the WSJ.

Late Wednesday, Obama officials admitted that the Obamacare exchanges pose so many "cybersecurity threats" that it is instituting a new "rapid response mechanism," a call center to field consumer complaints. It has also produced a publication on how to "Protect Yourself From Fraud In The Health Insurance Marketplace."

The Federal Trade Commission says it expects fraudsters and scam artists to use Obamacare to target victims. Analysts say Obamacare is primed and ready for massive online identity theft by con artists. 

“There are people licking their chops and saying, 'A sucker is born every minute,'” said Health Access California director Elizabeth Abbott.

Obamacare's government health exchanges open in 10 days. 

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
29again
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this

$88 million.  And it doesn't even work right.  But they are "confident" that it will work correctly on Oct 1.  Why do I have doubts about the assurances of the federal government?

So, is this program calculating too high or too low?  Even knowing that much would be somewhat of a help.

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Anyway you look at it, it's a nightmare.

Quoting 29again:

$88 million.  And it doesn't even work right.  But they are "confident" that it will work correctly on Oct 1.  Why do I have doubts about the assurances of the federal government?

So, is this program calculating too high or too low?  Even knowing that much would be somewhat of a help.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM

It'll be interesting to see, if potiental overcharges will be refunded.

Quoting lylalane7275:

Quoting 29again:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM

BUMP!

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I would really like to know with software firm the US gov't worked with...Was it ORACLE?  ORACLE was the  firm the US Air Force tried to work with and it was a HUGE failure!  After wasting 1 BILLION dollars on ORACLE the US Air Force ended the contract.  If ORACLE was used again by the US gov't, what does that tell you about the US gov't....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/technology/air-force-stumbles-over-software-modernization-project.html

ETA: My initial research shows that the US gov't is using ORACLE again....

Fayaz Syed: Lead Oracle SOA Architect - DC Health Benefit Exchange Implementation

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

The Federal Trade Commission says it expects fraudsters and scam artists to use Obamacare to target victims. Analysts say Obamacare is primed and ready for massive online identity theft by con artists.

Soooo..the fraudsters and scam artist are going to help the nongovernmental fraudsters and scam artist..now if that isn't an original domino's concept.

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I think it's doubtful.  I have personal experience with trying to explain to our government that they are wrong.  They sent us a tax bill after they entered the exact same W-2 into their system twice. Their defense is that it's in the computer system, so it must be correct and it was on us to prove that it was wrong.  It's a nightmare.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

It'll be interesting to see, if potiental overcharges will be refunded.

Quoting lylalane7275:

Quoting 29again:

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Ut oh......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)