Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

So-Called 'Feminist' Takes Pro-Choice Stance to a Crazy New Level

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 14 Replies

So-Called 'Feminist' Takes Pro-Choice Stance to a Crazy New Level

by Lisa Fogarty

Sex-selective abortions aren't breaking news. Most of us are aware of the horrifying fact that in countries like China and India many pregnancies have been terminated because parents aren't happy with the gender -- which is typically female -- of their unborn child. Rude awakening time: this practice is occurring in countries like the United States, Canada, and Great Britain, as well. And so-called feminists who should be up in arms over the very thought of aborting a baby just because she has a vagina actually have the nerve to defend it. 

Ann Faredi, who is the chief executive of the British Pregnancy Advisory Service, made her position on the matter quite clear this week when she said:

There is no legal requirement to deny a woman an abortion if she has a sex preference. We either support a woman's capacity to decide or we don't. You can't be pro-choice except when you don't like the choice.   

Excuse me? When did the world become so black and white, Ms. Faredi? I consider myself pro-choice, but I don't consider myself a defender of abortions-for-everyone-for-any-old-reason. I expect people who take a pro-life stance to argue with me about what they consider the immoral act of terminating a pregnancy based on the health of the fetus or because a woman was raped or is mentally or physically incapable of carrying the baby to term. Although I disagree with it, I can respectfully understand the opposing view. But there is no justification in my opinion -- cultural or otherwise --  worthy of arguing in favor of aborting a fetus because it isn't male. 

On a personal note, I am 13 weeks pregnant and in the process of undergoing a slew of sonograms and genetic tests -- most of which I haven't opted to take. The latest test, which I did choose to take, is called Cell-Free Fetal DNA Testing. I was in shock when my doctor told me she'd be able to not only uncover the gender mystery for me as early as Week 15, but to tell me if my child may have fertility problems of his or her own. I can't help but wonder how many parents might consider terminating their pregnancies based on the fact that their child might not be "picture perfect." There's no doubt in my mind we've become test happy, but it's completely within our control to refrain from trying to manipulate the results of our pregnancies to the umpteenth degree. And I can't stand by and defend the normalization of a brutal practice like sex-selective abortion.

Do you think sex-selective abortions are a woman's choice? 
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Some here support the right to chose right up to the point of one toe in left in the birth canal during normal childbirth.  This is no surprise.

D-Town
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM
3 moms liked this
Because most of us who are pro-choice don't delve into the reasons why a woman feels she wants/needs it. It is no ones business except hers why it's being done. We don't think women should have to stand up in front of the world and exclaim that she is getting one and putting he reasons up for pee approval.

Her choice is between her and her doctor. Not her and the rest of the world. No more so than any other medical procedure.
JanuaryBaby06
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM

very well said.

Quoting D-Town:

Because most of us who are pro-choice don't delve into the reasons why a woman feels she wants/needs it. It is no ones business except hers why it's being done. We don't think women should have to stand up in front of the world and exclaim that she is getting one and putting he reasons up for pee approval.

Her choice is between her and her doctor. Not her and the rest of the world. No more so than any other medical procedure.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I am pro choice but I can't wrap my head around aborting based on the sex of the child. 

sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Yes, it is her choice. I think it's a poor reason to choose an abortion, but it's really none of my business.
MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM

To quote Ms. Faredi:

You can't be pro-choice except when you don't like the choice.

'Nuff said.

JustCJ
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Maybe it's the beginning of the end of future pro-choicers?

Quoting Carpy:

Some here support the right to chose right up to the point of one toe in left in the birth canal during normal childbirth.  This is no surprise.

strictgram
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Is murder also none of your business?

gludwig2000
by Gina on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I agree with the feminist, if we consider ourselves pro choice, that means all choice. I myself do not like the idea of aborting due to gender either, but if its not my body, then its not my choice.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM
You may be right about some would agree with it right up to the last minute, but it wouldn't be many. I believe that most pro choicers are like myself, and prefer that abortions be performed in the first trimester.
Quoting Carpy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)