Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

“Most Americans Are Simply Ignoring Republicans — and They Should”

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM
  • 21 Replies

In a Monday morning op-ed published on TheHill.com, a former Republican senator had some harsh words for his own party based on the current wave of radicalism that seems to be taking over the GOP.

Judd Gregg, who’s a former senator from Rhode Island, had a detailed and very critical assessment targeted at his party and how they’ve let the fringe radicals take over the “mainstream” message of the GOP.

Gregg wrote:

Quote:

“Most Americans these days are simply ignoring Republicans. And they should.  The self-promotional babble of a few has become the mainstream of Republican political thought. It has marginalized the influence of the party to an appalling degree.”

But he didn’t stop with just that.  He went into great detail when attacking the utter stupidity of any politician who thinks the vote to increase our debt ceiling should be used as some kind of political leverage:

Quote:

“An approach to the debt ceiling that says one will not vote for its extension unless ObamaCare is defunded is the political equivalent of playing Russian roulette with all the chambers of the gun loaded.  It is the ultimate no-win strategy.

You cannot in politics take a hostage you cannot shoot.  That is what the debt ceiling is.  At some point, the debt ceiling will have to be increased not because it is a good idea but because it is the only idea.

Defaulting on the nation’s obligations, which is the alternative to not increasing the debt ceiling, is not an option either substantively or politically.

A default would lead to some level of chaos in the debt markets, which would lead to a significant contraction in economic activity, which would lead to job losses, which would lead to higher spending by the federal government and lower tax revenues, which would lead to more debt.”

And everything he said is absolutely true.  This Republican strategy makes absolutely no sense.  How anyone takes these people seriously baffles me every single day.  There’s a difference between an ideological difference on issues such as abortion or spending, and taking care of fiscal obligations.  When you’re operating on some kind of “reality” that simply does not exist, as people like Senator Ted Cruz and other fringe radicals have been, how am I not supposed to consider you insane?

Like I’ve said before, they can shutdown our government and default on our debt, but you know what?  Obamacare will still be the law of the land.

So in the end, what will they have accomplished besides hurting millions of Americans and crashing our economy?  The answer is simple—absolutely nothing.

Well, maybe not “nothing.”  Ted Cruz has done a masterful job at using his entire term as United States Senator as a taxpayer funded presidential campaign.  Because that’s all this really is —  Ted Cruz using his position in the Senate to get taxpayer-funded exposure for a 2016 presidential bid.

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM

denise3680
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I like this article.  Now that is someone who makes sense to me.  Now all we need is a democrat that is not a radical lefty to come out and tell the radicals in that party that they are accomplishing nothing also.  That circus needs to be closed and a whole new team of middle ground, willing to compromise and work together needs to be elected in.  Americans want change, then we need to stop electing idiots into office each and every time.

Momniscient
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM
In general people do seem to put ideology quite a bit above common sense when it comes to issues that the republicans are known for pushing. It causes extremism am it's obvious the right somehow let their patients take over their asylum.

The left hasn't quite gone that far.
mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Republicans only pay for everything!

Keep ignoring them.

That only lasts so long.

Theennnnnnnnn, you have a new Republican President   !!!!!!!!!!!

So smart!

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Wrong again miss, they hardly EVER actually use thier own money I used to work at a hotel that held politcal gatherings etc... the Demcrats, Independants, and even some of the Tea Party PAID in FULL ALL thier room bills, food etc.... the Republicans on the other hand took OVER 8 months to pay ANYTHING

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Keep ignoring them.

That only lasts so long.

So smart!

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Wrong again miss, they hardly EVER actually use thier own money I used to work at a hotel that held politcal gatherings etc... the Demcrats, Independants, and even some of the Tea Party PAID in FULL ALL thier room bills, food etc.... the Republicans on the other hand took OVER 8 months to pay ANYTHING

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Keep ignoring them.

That only lasts so long.

So smart!

I'm kind of talking about on kind of a national level.

As in Republicans pay generally  the most in taxes..

Ummm,...........okie dokie!

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Quoting Momniscient:

In general people do seem to put ideology quite a bit above common sense when it comes to issues that the republicans are known for pushing. It causes extremism am it's obvious the right somehow let their patients take over their asylum.

Okay.

eye rolling

Momniscient
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Thanks for your support.

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting Momniscient:

Okay.

eye rolling

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Umm... again madame, I call bs, I am not a Republican I dont claim a party (why bother with all the idiots) yes I vote, and again I know for a fact I pay more in taxes than my Republican co workers whom work the same job I do

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Keep ignoring them.

That only lasts so long.

So smart!

I'm kind of talking about on kind of a national level.

As in Republicans pay generally  the most in taxes..

Ummm,...........okie dokie!

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Right (lol)

Quoting Momniscient:

Thanks for your support.

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting Momniscient:

Okay.

eye rolling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)