Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family of 10 Flees Chicago Violence to Sleep on Streets of Wisconsin

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 18 Replies

Family of 10 Flees Chicago Violence to Sleep on Streets of Wisconsin

article image

A family of 10 fled the violence of Chicago to make the 150-mile trek to Madison, Wis., where they were forced to sleep on the streets. Going above and beyond their job description, local police came to their aid.

A female police officer found the family of four adults, five children and one baby under a pile of blankets downtown near the State Capitol.

Said the incident report:

At first, the veteran downtown patrol officer thought it was just a pile of blankets and some belongings, left temporarily on State St. by homeless people. Such a site is not unusual in the Center City…The officer did not suspect humans were beneath the bedding, but she was wrong.

The family informed her that they left the South Side neighborhood of Englewood to escape the rampant shootings and violence. They had been on the streets for two weeks.

Englewood is one of the most hazardous areas in Chicago, and gang warfare is rampant. Said the officer, "It was just too dangerous to stay. Some people they knew were killed.”

The Wisconsin police came to the family’s aid, and tracked down three churches that were willing to provide food or funds for a hotel. The officers then shuttled the family to safety in a prisoner transport van and gave them stuffed animals, books and blankets that the department had stashed for emergency situations.

According to the police report, the family was not looking for any handouts, but was thankful for the assistance. One of the adult men “was choked up and had difficulty expressing himself — clearly his gratitude was overwhelming.”

The police sergeant commended the officers on their altruism, writing, "They could have checked the welfare of the children and left; the day was warming and no further threat. They did not. They made sure that this family was provided reprieve from the unpleasant reality their current situation has provided."

Sources: The Smoking Gun, JS Online

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabl1970
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Good job police'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I can't imagine how awful things were for them to choose living on the streets in another State. I'm glad everything turned out okay for them and I hope things continue to get better.

Billiejeens
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Why would you have to imagine?

Are you oblivious to the amount of violent injuries and deaths in Chicago on a regular basis?

Quoting IhartU:

I can't imagine how awful things were for them to choose living on the streets in another State. I'm glad everything turned out okay for them and I hope things continue to get better.

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

Why would you have to imagine?

Are you oblivious to the amount of violent injuries and deaths in Chicago on a regular basis?

Quoting IhartU:

I was referring to the personal feelings of the family. Funny though how you over-look the obvious meaning of my words and right away go on the attack saying I'm a fucking moron that doesn't read the news and knows nothing about the violence in Chicago and across the US and the world. lol.

I can't imagine because I've never BEEN in that particular situation. I'm going to say I can imagine because I'd probably not even come close to how it would actually feel.

And I AM aware of the violence in Chicago and that despite gun laws there, criminals can get guns outside city limits. Hence the reason we should have strict FEDERAL gun laws that pertain to every city in the US- it's not something that should be done at state level.

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

LOVE how I make a nice comment about something and a certain someone comes along and is a bitch about it... lol SO telling.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Sadly Ironic.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I get what you are saying - and I agree. :)

Quoting IhartU:

LOVE how I make a nice comment about something and a certain someone comes along and is a bitch about it... lol SO telling.

-Kris-
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM
4 moms liked this

But, but ... guns are illegal in Chicago! Why is there still gun violence?  

(Sarcasm, for the impaired.)

kcangel63
by Amanda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Must be all those awesome gun laws preventing criminals from getting guns in Chicago that causes all the violence. Instead of making it easier for law abiding citizens to protect themselves, they make them easy targets.

I'm happy the family escaped and got help.
PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Now I wonder if Chicago is going to realize that gun control laws where law abiding citizens can't defend themselves is NOT a good idea?  Criminals don't care about laws.  And this is the aftermath.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)