Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Late-term abortionist invites mother to hold aborted baby

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 74 Replies

An interview published at The Hairpin gives a disturbing exchange between a late-term abortionist and an interviewer who discuss the new documentaryAfter Tiller, and a scene in which the late-term abortionist encourages the mother to “hold” her aborted baby, and take home its footprints and a “memory box,” as if it were a baby that suffered a normal infant death.

Jia Tolentino interviewed Susan Robinson, one of only four American abortionists who openly perform third-trimester abortions. Robinson is featured in the new documentaryAfter Tiller, which premiered in New York last weekend:

TolentinoI was really moved and amazed by the scene where you're writing down a baby’s name, noting the family’s request for a memory box and a viewing, showing the little ink footprints. Do families often want to engage with their baby like this after an abortion? How many people are ready to—as you say—say hello to their baby at the same time that they’re telling it goodbye? 

RobinsonWith fetal anomaly patients, we ask them right up front if they plan to hold their baby after it's born. These patients, their emotional needs are so different from the ones who are looking at their pregnancy as an absolute disaster, who are just thinking, “Get it out of me, please, please, please.” Those patients—the maternal indications patients—they are not relating to their fetus as a baby, they’re relating to it as a problem.

But with a fetal indications patient—if she refers to it as her baby, I'll refer to it as her baby. If she’s named the baby, I’ll use the baby’s name too. I would say that most of these patients do decide to see and hold their baby, although many of them have a hard time dealing with the idea at first. We’ll take remembrance photographs, we’ll give them a teddy bear, the footprints. I mean, imagine being six months pregnant and finding out your baby’s missing half its brain, and you’ve got this nursery you’ve painted at home, you’re so ready—I don’t want them to go home from the procedure with absolutely nothing to remember and honor the baby, and its birth.

Tolentino: Wow. You’ll say “birth?”

Robinson: Yes. I try to mirror what will be the most consoling to the patient. In general, these patients – fetal indications – do talk about giving birth, so I’ll say that as well.

After Robinson said she sometimes will say “non-denominational prayers” with the mother and the family following the abortion, Tolentino wondered about this seemingly “macabre” situation of loving a baby in one’s arms “that you just committed yourself to ending its life…”

“That’s not macabre!” said Robinson. “Yes, that’s the first part of the procedure. We sedate the patient and euthanize their fetus, their baby, with an injection. The fetus passes away, doesn’t feel anything.”

In June, however, the House of Representatives passed a measure restricting abortion to the first 20 weeks after conception, based, in part, on testimony by a neurobiologist who provided audio-visual data that indicated that unborn babies can clearly feel pain at 20 weeks gestation, and likely have a capacity to feel pain much earlier than that.

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM
14 moms liked this

I have to say that the compassion this doctor has for women in this postition is very heart warming.  Third trimester abortions only occur when the life of the mother is in jeopardy or the fetus is not compatible with life.  It is a sad thing because when you get to that point you obviously want to bring a life into the world.  I am sure the heart ache and emotional trauma these women feel is overwhelming and to have a doctor who understands that is a wonderful thing.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM
6 moms liked this

Why was the mother in the position of needing to obtain an abortion this late?  Most likely her unborn fetus had some abnormality that was likely to cause it death or no quality of life.  Trying to demonize these mothers and their doctors is just ignorant.  I had a co-worker who had a late term abortion because her baby's brain never developed.  He wouldn't have lived.  She was devestated.  And yes, she held her baby and she buried it and she mourned it as if he had been born full-term and then passed.  Thank God there are physicians like this one who get it. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Who's demonizing? In this OP?

Only pointing out hypocrisy.

It's a dirty job - but someone's gotta do it.

Quoting PamR:

Why was the mother in the position of needing to obtain an abortion this late?  Most likely her unborn fetus had some abnormality that was likely to cause it death or no quality of life.  Trying to demonize these mothers and their doctors is just ignorant.  I had a co-worker who had a late term abortion because her baby's brain never developed.  He wouldn't have lived.  She was devestated.  And yes, she held her baby and she buried it and she mourned it as if he had been born full-term and then passed.  Thank God there are physicians like this one who get it. 

babyspots17
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I really can't have any sympathy for these women who chose this road.  I know it may sound bad but to me it is like taking the easy way out. 

sweetaspie630
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Where do you get your information? While this doctors compassion is wonderful, there are MANY third trimester abortions done on healthy babies! Reasons include: Mom took that long to decide she didn't want a baby. OR Mom wants to get even with dad and uses baby. OR Mom couldn't come up with the money for an abortion until the third trimester. That's why so many women who get third trimester abortions do it ILLEGALLY and NOT as a medical procedure, but as an ELECTIVE procedure.
Quoting PrimmednPunked:

I have to say that the compassion this doctor has for women in this postition is very heart warming.  Third trimester abortions only occur when the life of the mother is in jeopardy or the fetus is not compatible with life.  It is a sad thing because when you get to that point you obviously want to bring a life into the world.  I am sure the heart ache and emotional trauma these women feel is overwhelming and to have a doctor who understands that is a wonderful thing.

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_PLTA.pdf

Stop trying to villify these women.  Really you are making yourself look bad.

Quoting sweetaspie630:

Where do you get your information? While this doctors compassion is wonderful, there are MANY third trimester abortions done on healthy babies! Reasons include: Mom took that long to decide she didn't want a baby. OR Mom wants to get even with dad and uses baby. OR Mom couldn't come up with the money for an abortion until the third trimester. That's why so many women who get third trimester abortions do it ILLEGALLY and NOT as a medical procedure, but as an ELECTIVE procedure.
Quoting PrimmednPunked:

sweetaspie630
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

No, you are making YOURSELF look bad, you provide one link to a random site and tell me I am villifying people? I am NOT villifying women who HAVE to have a third trimester abortion for MEDICAL reasons. And I clearly stated this doctor's compassion to those women is wonderful. But let's not act blind and pretend there are not disgusting wastes of human flesh who wait until the third trimester and STILL get an abortion with NO MEDICAL needs. There are plenty. Most of the women who went to that clinic of horrors for third trimester abortions were NOT getting them for medical reasons. It was CLEARLY documented, many of them just wanted the baby out and dead and didn't care how much they had to pay or how nasty the clinic was. They didn't want the baby and paid him to murder it. Open your eyes.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Quoting sweetaspie630:

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

The Guttmacher Institute is one of the leading institutes in America that researches abortion.  

They also show that statistically only 1.5% of abortions occur after 21 or more weeks.  http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

Quoting sweetaspie630:

No, you are making YOURSELF look bad, you provide one link to a random site and tell me I am villifying people? I am NOT villifying women who HAVE to have a third trimester abortion for MEDICAL reasons. And I clearly stated this doctor's compassion to those women is wonderful. But let's not act blind and pretend there are not disgusting wastes of human flesh who wait until the third trimester and STILL get an abortion with NO MEDICAL needs. There are plenty. Most of the women who went to that clinic of horrors for third trimester abortions were NOT getting them for medical reasons. It was CLEARLY documented, many of them just wanted the baby out and dead and didn't care how much they had to pay or how nasty the clinic was. They didn't want the baby and paid him to murder it. Open your eyes.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Quoting sweetaspie630:

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this

If the late term abortion is done because of an abnormality or risk to the mother, then I think what this Dr is doing is great.  To have a late term abortion "just because" is wrong in my opinion and I wouldn't see why the mother would want a keepsake.

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Where is the hypocrisy? She is doing this based on how te women receiving the abortion feel about the pregnancy no hypocrisy there

Quoting SallyMJ:

Who's demonizing? In this OP?

Only pointing out hypocrisy.

It's a dirty job - but someone's gotta do it.

Quoting PamR:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN