Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

7-Year-Old Beauty Queen Stripped Of Title For Not Being Latina Enough

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM
  • 31 Replies

Beaming in a golden dress, sparkling crown and ear-to-ear smile, Jakiyah McKoy was crowned last month as Little Miss Hispanic Delaware. The 7-year-old, however, was only able to enjoy her title until last week, when pageant officials stripped the young beauty queen of her crown for not being able to prove her Latina heritage.

Jakiyah, who was born in Brooklyn, New York, has a grandmother who hails from La Vega, Dominican Republic – making her 25 percent Hispanic. Organizers of the pageant said that while McKoy might claim the 25 percent Latina heritage to qualify, her parents were unable to provide the proper paperwork to prove her ethnicity.

“We can’t have her be the queen if she doesn’t have the proper documentation,” Maria Perez, the president of Nuestras Raíces Delaware, the pageant sponsor, told Latino Rebels. “It’s not the first time that we’ve been confronted with the [burden of proof]. It’s happened in the past and they’ve brought in the proof and we were satisfied with it.”

Little Miss Hispanic

• Jakiyah McCoy Delaware.jpg

After Jakiyah was dethroned, some questioned whether the crown was taken away from her because she is black and “not the best representative of Latin beauty,” according to an online petition. The petition already has 750 signatures to try and get the little girl reinstated as the pageant’s winner.   

“The judges of this pageant should be ashamed of their racist, colonial mindset,” wrote Rudy Velez of Rochester, New York. “Latinas come in all colors, a reflection of our wonderfully diverse heritage. We carry within us the legacy of our African, indigenous, and European foremothers.”

Perez denied the allegations that the color of McKoy’s skin played a part in having her title revoked.

“Color has nothing to do with it,” she said. “We’re all Latinos. That’s why we’re so beautiful, because we come in all different colors.”

Some of the previous winners of the pageant include girls of Puerto Rican and French descent and Puerto Rican and Italian descent.

McKoy has been given runner-up status in the pageant.

“All the little girls got crowned,” said Perez. “I feel so bad for [Jakiyah] because she is getting put in the middle of this and that’s exactly what we wanted to avoid.”

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Let me get this straight: You need no documentation to come to this country, to go to school, get welfare assistance, get a job, VOTE in most places. And you need documentation to win a beauty pageant?

BTW, I'm pretty sure there are no "Little Miss White Delaware" pageants.

erika9009
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

OMG

That would be racist.............bite your tongue young lady...........

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

erika9009
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

So now I should take from this post that Latinos are racist against blacks too???

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM

If they are "too black" and "not Hispanic/Latina enough."

Quoting erika9009:

So now I should take from this post that Latinos are racist against blacks too???

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

OK - But it'th hard to thspeak when I do that.

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting SallyMJ:

OMG

MomTiara19
Ready for Fall:)
Yesterday at 7:15 PM
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Yes Latinas come in all colors....light to dark as me.

I am not Spanish but I sometimes get people speaking Spanish to me and asking if I am.Sometimes we are what we are...not what we are stereotyped to look like.

My husband is blond haired and blue eyed.People think he is German.He is %100 Italian...he gets non belief all the time..lol..

I hope Jakiyah knows how beautiful she is no matter what.

Citygirlk
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

The question here is why didnt they ask for this before she won why after.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Let me get this straight: You need no documentation to come to this country, to go to school, get welfare assistance, get a job, VOTE in most places. And you need documentation to win a beauty pageant?

Stephanie329
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
This. If documentation was needed, it should have been required before the pageant, not after she won.

Quoting Citygirlk:

The question here is why didnt they ask for this before she won why after.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Stephanie329
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM
It wouldn't be racist just completely moronic. Since when do the majority whites lack in opportunities for pageants or otherwise?

If you feel so marginalized, you should start a pageant for the poor, put upon white girls.

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting SallyMJ:

OMG

momtimesx4
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

to do so would be considered racist

Quoting Stephanie329:

It wouldn't be racist just completely moronic. Since when do the majority whites lack in opportunities for pageants or otherwise?

If you feel so marginalized, you should start a pageant for the poor, put upon white girls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)