Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do you think the new abortion law in Texas protects or exploits women?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:15 AM
  • 7 Replies

6 Reasons Why the New Abortion Law in Texas Helps Women

by Jenny Erikson

On Friday, a bunch of abortion advocates filed suit in Texas for portions of the now infamous House Bill 2, the extensive pro-life bill that Governor Rick Perry signed into law last July. Planned Parenthood, the Center for Reproductive Rights, and the American Civil Liberties Union have joined forces on behalf of more than a dozen abortion providers to fight provisions that make abortions safer for women.

I know -- it doesn’t make any sense to me either. It makes me wonder what the true motivation of these organizations is when they’re stirring public outrage by saying that HB2 will restrict women’s access to health care, or mess with their reproductive rights or whatever.

This new law does not restrict abortion for abortion’s sake. It’s funny, because they’re not even challenging the only part of the bill that actually does restrict abortion -- those done after 20 weeks. So they’re not fighting the part that says you can’t have an abortion (at a certain point in your pregnancy), but they are fighting the parts that protect women from getting ‘back alley’ abortions.

Well ok then.

Don’t believe me? Have no fear, I’ve read the bill for you, and broken down exactly how the “restrictions” that these pro-abortion groups are fighting actually help women.

1. It requires that an actual physician be present at the time of the abortion or the administration of abortion drugs. One that provides obstetrical or gynecological services. In other words, mean old Rick Perry would like to make sure that women in his state that chose to have abortions get them from trained and licensed doctors.
  2. Said physician must have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of the clinic in which the abortion was performed. This is in case something goes wrong, and the woman needs emergency care. Minutes can make the difference between life and death; how many do we want to waste with transportation, or the abortionist having to debrief a new doctor not familiar with the patient?
  3. The woman obtaining the abortion must be provided with a telephone number that she can call for 24-hour assistance if complications arise.
  4. She must also be provided with the telephone number of the closest hospital where her doctor has admitting privileges. Phone numbers are apparently really threatening to women’s rights.
  5. If the physician determines that an abortion is necessary to save the life or “major bodily function” of the mother, all of these restrictions are waived.
  6. In fact, any woman that needs an abortion at any point during her pregnancy can still legally obtain one in Texas. Directly from the law itself: “This act does not apply to abortions that are necessary to avert the death or substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function of the pregnant woman or abortions that are performed on unborn children with severe fetal abnormalities.”

Which means that it’s still perfectly legal in Texas to abort your 5-month-old fetus with Down syndrome. Just make sure mom has a phone number to call in case she starts hemorrhaging or something.

Do you think this new law protects or exploits women?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JanuaryBaby06
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

How does this protect woman? These provisions are just there if they choose abortion, so woman who dont chose it dont need these "protections"? That tells you something. Anyone with a brain cell could work out that these "provisions" are really just a way to shut down abortion providers. Perry doesnt care about woman, he cares about his own morals and faith and uses his position to enforce his beliefs on others. His goal is to get rid of abortion, to take away that choice altogether and he'll do whatever he can to obtain that goal. IMO the fact that he's pretending to care is just gross.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM

What she said.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

How does this protect woman? These provisions are just their if they choose abortion, so woman who dont chose it dont need these "protections"? That tells you something. Anyone with a brain cell could work out that these "provisions" are really just a way to shut down abortion providers. Perry doesnt care about woman, he cares about his own morals and faith and uses his position to enforce his beliefs on others. His goal is to get rid of abortion, to take away that choice altogether and he'll do whatever he can to obtain that goal. IMO the fact that he's pretending to care is just gross.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

The question is a little vague, nothing can be everything to everyone.

If one is a selfish woman that wants to kill their baby, they would probably answer that it doesn't protect them.

-Kris-
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Protects. I especially like #2, because anything can go wrong during the abortion and the woman deserves access to a hospital in that situation. 

sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Hmmm.....I am noot sure what to think about this.

29again
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I think these provisions protect women.  Unless, of course, one is an abortion supporter who favors a medical procedure done anytime for any reason anywhere, whether in a medical facility, or in a plain room.  And it seems they feel that real doctors are optional, too.  For a bunch of women who protested an US, they are very lackadaisical about the actual procedure itself.  I find that scary.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I think it protects women

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN