Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do you think the court is right to retry Amanda Knox for the murder of Meredith Kercher?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 12 Replies

Amanda Knox Retrial Just Drags the Nightmare Out for Everyone

by Rebecca Stokes

amanda knoxThe nightmare continues for Amanda Knox and for the family of the late Meredith Kercher. In 2007, Amanda and her then-boyfriend, Italian Raffaele Sollecito, were charged with the awful murder of Amanda's roommate abroad, Kercher. In 2011, Amanda was finally found innocent and allowed to return to her home in U.S., where she's been studying at the University of Washington ever since.

While Knox and all the other families involved are ready to move away from this tragedy and on with their lives, the Italian legal system had other plans. Unhappy with the negative press and their final verdict, the prosecution sought to retry Amanda. Today marks the start of the new trial, and a potential new outcome from Knox. 

Complicating matters slightly is Amanda's refusal to return to Italy for the trial. You can't blame her. Who is to say that once on Italian soil, she would ever be allowed to leave again? And technically, in Italy, her presence is not mandatory at the trial. Still, there are instances where the court could find her in contempt, which would make an already murky situation that much more complicated. 

The trial seeks to re-evaluate forensic evidence from the scene. There is currently already one man, Rudy Guede, serving time for the crime. But officials don't think he acted alone, something the Kercher family also believes. Their lawyer acknowledged that they still think Amanda and Raffaele were present at the time of the murder

This case already put the Italian legal system under a microscope, and frankly, it came up wanting. Having this second trial is nearly as bad as jumping up and demanding a "redo." It belittles the concept of justice, and it doesn't allow anyone at all time to heal. 

Do you think the court was right to begin a second trial?

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PamR
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I can absolutely understand why she won't go back to Italy for the trial.  From what I have read and seen about her case, the prosecutor was a little off the rails from the get go.  The evidence really seemed very shaky. 

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I honestly don't think it's right at all. 

JanuaryBaby06
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM

this case is such a mess!

hello_kitty25
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Can they do that? Just keep shouting Redo! Every time they lose??
sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM
I don't know what their laws are, so I don't know if they have a right to re-try her, or not. It doesn't seem fair though, if she was already found innocent. I wouldn't return to Italy if I was her either.
erika9009
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Quoting hello_kitty25:

It's Italy, so they can.

I think she should just move on and not go anywhere near Europe ever.  The prosecution got a black eye losing.  So, they want another go at it.

She's an American citizen and has been tried and found not guilty.  Italy can retry all they want, but we should not be turning her over as it goes against the spirit of our constitution.  It's not like she fled here once arrested.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

hello_kitty25
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I agree. She should never go over there again! Probably wouldn't be able to come home! Crazy they can do that over there

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting hello_kitty25:

It's Italy, so they can.

I think she should just move on and not go anywhere near Europe ever.  The prosecution got a black eye losing.  So, they want another go at it.

She's an American citizen and has been tried and found not guilty.  Italy can retry all they want, but we should not be turning her over as it goes against the spirit of our constitution.  It's not like she fled here once arrested.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM

i'm not convinced the Italian court was right to start the first trial.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM

It will be interesting to see if she is found guilty then what will Interpol do?  No, she shouldn't be tried again.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I have not read enough on this case or know the Italian legal system.
If, under their law, they are allowed to retry - then they have the right to do so.
We cannot impose our laws and constitution upon what happens in their country.
If she were Italian and the death happened here, we would not look to what Italian law is and then prosecute based on their laws. Laws of the country where the crime was committed have jurisdiction. If, under those laws, she is found guilty and Italy makes a request for her to return to serve time, I would think we need to comply. But, then again, we wanted Mr. Snowden returned and Russia refused - so I guess countries can decide to extradite. I just don't know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)