Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Are You Upset About the Government Shutdown?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 17 Replies

Are You Upset About the Government Shutdown? (VIDEO)

by Lindsay Ferrier

Moms Matter Google HangoutWe're in day two of the federal government shutdown and Americans are none too pleased about it.

I don't know about you, but my Facebook and Twitter streams have been on fire with Democrats AND Republicans expressing anger, disappointment, and fear about the fact that our legislators can't seem to come to an agreement about, well ... just about anything.

Our writers from The Stir were eager to talk about the shutdown and how it makes them feel about the folks on Capitol Hill. Check out our video discussion in this week's Moms Matter Google Hangout.

This morning, reports indicate that our legislators are no closer to coming to any sort of deal on the federal budget. Experts say the shutdown will last at least a week, possibly TWO weeks.

Fortunately, things of major importance like mail service, Social Security payments, and our soldiers' salaries are still covered -- but 800,000 "non-essential" federal workers are getting an unexpected, unpaid vacation right now, and with the holidays coming up, the timing couldn't be worse.

Also, some unexpected repercussions are happening as a result of the shutdown. Searchers can no longer look for the body of a woman who went missing at Moon National Monument. A couple's dream wedding was canceled as a result of the shutdown. And who knows how many family and school trips to Washington have been ruined this week by the fact that nothing they traveled to see is open?!

Our politicians need to get their acts together and learn to compromise. Seriously, people. If our kids can do it, SO CAN YOU.

How do you feel about the government shutdown? Are you frustrated with legislators right now, or do you feel it's important for them to stick to their guns, even if it means going to extremes?

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SherryBerry106
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Nope.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Quite honestly, no I am not. The cherry on top would be to stop taking my taxes. But that wont happen since we have to pay roughly 95,000,000 in politician salaries a year.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Yeah, I'm mad. Compromices are suppost to be made, that IMO, is why we have a 2 party system, so that they can balance eachother out. Their current behavior is just gross.

Naturewoman4
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I quite honestly am appalled at how childish our Gov. operates.  It's like a game to them, to see who wins.  Why both sides can't see what needs to done in this Country I will never understand.  Maybe, I'm not getting this at all.  But, to me, it seems quite obvious.  This Country is broke & cuts need to be made.  So, why is that so hard for both sides to see this? 

I hear about it all the time, about all the money spent on programs that are so ridiculous.  Programs that we are spending a lot of money on, that shows aren't working.  All the waste, fraud & abuse in other programs, yet both sides can't agree on cutting that out?  All the money we give to other Countries, what both sides can't agree we can't afford doing that anymore? 

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM

No

susan115
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

no, know your history.  I think Coolidge said it best "Better to fight, than to accept medicore". We currently live in a era of losers, not even medicore, so when one fights for a better way, I say go for it.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I'm pissed at Obama and Reid for politicizing this and blaming instead of getting their butts at the negotiating table. I'm pissed at some Republicans for demonizing their own colleagues.

All these guys - the House, the Senate, the President - negotiate for a living, for God's sake! Why not cut the political rhetoric and do your damn jobs.

But Dems are trying to intimidate Republicans from doing their jobs for the American people, and insisting on fairness under the law, and protecting the economy and jobs.

But Dem leadership wants instead to score points instead and put the American people in the middle.

And the WH is purposely trying to make this as painful as possible for the American people. Barricading open air public monuments that aren't even usually manned by the NPS? Blocking vets in their 80s from their one chance left in their lifetimes to visit the WWII monument? Telling the Army and Navy academies that they can't play their football game? Reid refusing to fund the NIH for children with cancer? And Obama is even trying to introduce uncertainty into the financial markets so it falters, and then blame it on Republicans. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

All of you, step over your egos, get to the table, and start negotiating, so this thing can end and we can move on to the debt ceiling. And for God's sake, go back to regular budgets so we can kill the insanity of these Continuing Resolutions based on THE 2008 BUDGET.

SMH.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM
3 moms liked this

Sometimes you have to stand your ground..as the pict insinuates...I hope the American people wake up.

29again
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM

If I am upset about any part of this, it is that dingy Harry and 'Bama are acting like willful spoiled children.  They will do nothing, compromise nothing, discuss nothing...  which makes THEM the party of "NO!"

And as for the poor workers who are getting an unexpected and unwelcomed vacation............  all I can say is, welcome to the real world, sweetie!  They should not have been so caught off guard.  When your budget depends on politicians, you should know better when there IS no budget, and the deadline is looming.  It isn't quite the same as going in to work, to find out that the doors have been shut permanently....  so, I don't feel a bit sorry for them in particular.

faire_jour
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I am GLAD that the democrats will no longer be held HOSTAGE by the republicans. They are spiteful little brats who think that by not allowing anything to happen they will always get their way. They are like a child screaming and thinking their parents will eventually give in. Well, they were right with the sequester, so now they are screaming longer, which is to be expected, but I hope we have grown up enough to stay the grown ups and NOT GIVE IN because of their tantrum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)