Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

How to Detect an Obamacare Lie

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM
  • 7 Replies
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/detect-obamacare-lie-174144152.html

When Yahoo Finance hosted an online Obamacare Q&A recently, more than 2,300 people sent in questions about how to get insurance under the new health reform law. Not surprisingly, a few hecklers were among them to rant against the law and make startling claims about the objectionable practices it will sanction -- most of them totally false.

The propaganda campaign surrounding Obamacare may be the most widespread onslaught of misinformation since the McCarthy inquisitions of the 1950s. There are many genuine problems with the Affordable Care Act, as Obamacare is formally known, such as itscomplexity and costs, new risks of fraud and the individual mandate, which rankles a lot of reasonable Americans. Critics of the law hardly have to make stuff up to give the electorate something to worry about. Yet even as the insurance exchanges set up by the ACA launch, millions of Americans seem more swayed by fallacies than facts.

So I’d like to deconstruct one myth that surfaced during the Q&A as a way to illustrate how nonsensical some of the anti-Obamacare rhetoric is, along with how simple it can be to check information that sounds suspicious. One participant submitted a comment claiming that “illegals will get free healthcare under Obamacare,” along with the following language that supposedly comes straight from the law itself:

“Page 50/section 152: The bill will provide insurance to all non-U.S. residents, even if they are here illegally.”“Page 58 and 59: The government will have real-time access to an individual's bank account and will have the authority to make electronic fund transfers from those accounts.”“Page 272. section 1145: Cancer hospital [sic] will ration care according to the patient's age. AGE 76, YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR ANY CANCER TREATMENTS.”

You’ve got to be pretty gullible to believe that politicians elected by actual Americans would ever pass something this inflammatory. Yet people opposed to Obamacare in principle may simply be willing to suspend disbelief when presented with any evidence of its flaws, true or not. If anybody cared to check whether this information is true, here’s how you might do it.

First, look up the ACA online and see if this language is actually in there. All federal laws are public (except those pertaining to classified information) so anybody can search a law online to check what’s in it. The Affordable Care Act , it turns out, doesn’t even have a Section 152; all sections in the bill are either four or five digits, as in Sec. 2704 or Sec. 10201. There is a Sec. 152 of the Internal Revenue Code, which the ACA refers to several times, but that defines who qualifies as a given taxpayer's "dependent" and has nothing to do with immigration, legal or illegal.

While scanning the ACA, it takes only a few minutes of searching for keywords to turn up this passage, in Sec. 1312: “ACCESS LIMITED TO LAWFUL RESIDENTS.—If an individual is not, or is not reasonably expected to be for the entire period for which enrollment is sought, a citizen or national of the United States or an alien lawfully present in the United States, the individual shall not be treated as a qualified individual and may not be covered under a qualified health plan in the individual market that is offered through an Exchange.” So the law actually denies coverage to illegal immigrants. And if you’re wondering what an “alien lawfully present” is, you can search further on the Web and learn that these are basically special categories oflegal immigrants whose status is uncontroversial.

Use common sense. Would Congress really pass a bill that provides health insurance to “all non-U.S. residents?” In literal terms, that would include everybody in the world EXCEPT U.S. citizens, or approximately 7 billion people. Congress might be filled with venal politicians, but it’s also staffed by hundreds of shrewd lawyers who know how to write laws and are very unlikely to make a typographical error of that magnitude.

Have a little faith in elective government. Any politician who really voted to give away gobs of taxpayer money to illegal immigrants, steal money from people’s bank accounts and cut off 76-year-old cancer patients would be run out of office, even in today’s sputtering system. Congress might be corrupt, but it’s still pretty hard to get elected if you’re a despot.

Obamacare propaganda is likely to persist, even as millions of Americans enroll in the program and begin to develop opinions of how well it works based on their own first-hand experience. Efforts to discredit the program might even intensify as critics begin to fear that the more people who sign up, the more entrenched Obamacare is likely to become.

Bogus information doesn’t just come from bashers of the program, either. The fact-checking Web site Politifact has identified 16 common myths perpetrated by critics of the ACA, but also10 fibs emanating from Obamacare supporters, such as the claim that it will lead to better benefits and lower health insurance costs for everybody.

Perhaps the only thing about Obamacare that’s indisputable is that it has produced a gargantuan amount of hokum.

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Oh. I thought the answer was going to be, "It came from Obama...", or "It came from ANYONE in the government".

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

President Obama lied to us.

It wasn’t a white lie. It wasn’t a fib. It wasn’t a half truth. It was a bold-faced lie.

“No matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise,” President Obama told the American Medical Association in 2009. “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what.”

That statement turned out to be a lie. Period.

On Thursday I asked my Facebook community if they had faced hardships as a result of ObamaCare. 

The response was overwhelming. I received nearly 1,000 replies – from small business owners, nurses, doctors, electricians, stay-at-home moms, and military personnel. Every single person said they had been adversely affected by President Obama’s signature legislation.

President Obama also promised us that we would be able to keep our doctor. Another lie.

So let’s break down the president’s lies.

Thursday he told an audience in Largo, Maryland that the Affordable Care Act had not hurt jobs.

“There's no widespread evidence that the Affordable Care Act is hurting jobs,” he said.

Investor’s Business Daily reports that as a direct result of ObamaCare, more than 300 companies have either eliminated jobs or reduced full time jobs to part time jobs. Hospitals across the country are firing staff and reducing work hours.

Janet Blanck owns Country Blossom Florist, a small shop in Gilbert, Ariz. She tells me that as a result of ObamaCare she’s had to lay off three employees.

At one time, she employed eight people. Those who were not let go now work part-time because of rising insurance costs.

“Obama is killing us,” she told me. “It breaks my heart to have to do this. I have to protect what I have built and this is the only way that I know of to get around this law and still stay in business.”

President Obama also promised us that we would be able to keep our doctor. Another lie.

Several hundred of you, like Joel Keefauver, wrote to tell me that your doctors were either shuttering their practices or shedding patients.

“Under the forthcoming Affordable Care Act and new healthcare regulations, I will no longer be able to provide the quality of healthcare you have come to expect and that I believe is proper,” the doctor wrote in a letter to Keefauver. “The increased cost imposed by complying with these new laws, along with decreasing reimbursements, creates a financial burden that is unsustainable for my solo practice.”

DiDi Henry’s elderly mother recently moved from Alabama to Louisiana. She has been unable to find a doctor willing to take Medicare patients.

“Several doctors told her that they just aren’t taking Medicare patients because of ObamaCare,” she told me.

The president also told us ObamaCare would make health insurance affordable? Another whopper.

Business owner Sheila Frey tells me her insurance rates have increased by 46 percent. Her small family-run company is paying $2,000 a month for coverage.

And remember how President Obama promised rebate checks to defray the cost of buying insurance coverage? Well, Shelia tells me her rebate check was a meager $127. You do the math.

Tammy Boisvert told me she had to find a new pediatrician.

“My family doctor of 20 years couldn’t take my newborn due to this insurance mess,” she wrote. “With a family of six all seen by this one doctor, I suddenly had to search for a new pediatrician.”

President Obama promised we could keep our current health care plan. Another lie.

Michelle Cox, of Asheville, N.C. wrote to me about a letter she received Thursday from her insurance company.

“ACA requires is to make significant changes to our health benefits plan designs,” the letter read. “We cannot renew your existing plan in 2014.”

Alissa Delamar is in the same boat -- searching for insurance after her company canceled its group plan.

“I’m stressed so much financially now I can’t fathom any more debt,” she wrote. “It leaves you hopeless.”

Catherine Schneider and her husband own Blue Sky Trucking in Montgomery, Minn. They were just informed that their insurance policy would be canceled in December.

“It’s too expensive,” she said. “The Affordable Care Act is disrupting our business and it has the potential to destroy our family.”

Allison deNijis’s family policy was also canceled.

“I thought Obama said we could keep our insurance?” she asked. “I thought he said our cost would decline? Not true! Epic fail!”

Her family was offered a new policy that now includes a nearly $1,000 monthly premium and $5,000 in individual deductibles.

“I am seriously considering just paying the fine and putting the differential amount in a personal savings account,” she told me. “Why should I pay over $13,000 in premiums?”

By the time ObamaCare is fully implemented, I suspect most Americans will be begging for death panels – to put us out of our misery.

Todd Starnes is host of Fox News & Commentary heard on hundreds of radio stations and in his weekly podcast. Sign up for his American Dispatch newsletter and be sure to join his Facebook page.

29again
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Use common sense. Would Congress really pass a bill that provides health insurance to “all non-U.S. residents?”

Seriously??  They ask this question?  After they actually passed the bill without even reading it???  But it is unreasonable to think that they would pass a bill that gives healthcare to illegals. 

banging head into wall

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

IV) OBAMA PROMISES THAT PEOPLE WILL BE ABLE TO KEEP THEIR DOCTORS AND HEALTH INSURANCE PLANS UNDER OBAMACARE:

* To Promote His Health Care Package, President Obama said the following: “If you like your doctor, you will be able to
keep your doctor, period. If you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what.”

* “Americans must have the freedom to keep whatever doctor and health care plan they have…” – Barack Obama,
Remarks On Health Care, Washington, D.C., 5/11/09

* “The plans you are discussing embody my core belief that Americans should have better choices for health insurance, building on the principle that if they like the coverage they have now, they can keep it, …” – Barack Obama,
Letter To Senate Democrat Leaders, 6/2/09

* “There's no doubt that we have to preserve what's best in the health care system, and that means allowing Americans who like their doctor and like their health care plan to keep their plan. And that's going to be a priority for us.” – Barack Obama,
Remarks At Northern Virginia Community College, Annandale, VA, 7/1/09

* “I know a lot of Americans who are satisfied with their health care right now are wondering what reform would mean for them, so let me be clear: If you like your doctor or health care provider, you can keep them. If you like your health care plan, you can keep that too.” – Barack Obama,
Remarks On Health Care, Washington, D.C., 7/15/09

* “Those who oppose reform will also tell you that under our plan, you won't get to choose your doctor, that some bureaucrat will choose for you. That's also not true. Michelle and I don't want anyone telling us who our family's doctor should be, and no one should decide that for you either. Under our proposals, if you like your doctor, you keep your doctor. If you like your current insurance, you keep that insurance. Period. End of story.” – President Barack Obama,
Weekly Address, 7/18/09

END RESULT:

* In February 2010, President Obama said: “... For example, we said from the start that it was going to be important for us to be consistent in saying to people if you can have your — if you want to keep the health insurance you got, you can keep it, that you’re not going to have anybody getting in between you and your doctor in your decision making. And I think that some of the provisions that got snuck in might have violated that pledge.”

* The Heritage Foundation reports that
at least 30 percent of employers say they will definitely or probably stop offering insurance once the law’s main provisions go into effect in 2014, and that the number could rise above 50% once employers become fully aware of all of the law's implications. Investors Business Daily places the figure at 51% for all employers, and 66% among small business employers.

* In Crimes Against Liberty,
David Limbaugh writes: “Obama said ObamaCare 'would preserve the right of Americans who have insurance to keep their doctor and their plan.' But he knew his plan had no such guarantee, and he also knew his plan would likely crowd out private insurers. The chief actuary of the Medicare program estimates 14 million people will lose their employer coverage under ObamaCare, even though many will want to keep it. In fact, many companies are now evaluating whether they can save money by paying the penalty in lieu of providing their employees healthcare coverage. AT&T, Caterpillar, John Deere, and Verizon have all made their internal calculations, and those results don't portend well for their employees.”

V) OBAMA PROMISES TO TELEVISE THE HEALTHCARE DEBATES ON C-SPAN:

* During the 2008 campaign, Obama repeatedly promised that all the negotiations would be televised on CSPAN, so that all Americans could see exactly what was being said and done. This page cites the following Obama quotes on this subject:

• "You know I respect what the Clintons tried to do in 1993 in moving health reform forward. But they made one really big mistake, and that is they took all their people and all their experts into a room and then they closed the door. We will work on this process publicly. It'll be on C-SPAN. It will be streaming over the net." -November 2008, Google Q & A
  • "Not negotiating behind closed doors, but bringing all parties together, and broadcasting those negotiations on C-SPAN so that the American people can see what the choices are. 'Cause part of what we have to do is enlist the American people in this process." -January 2008, CNN Debate
  • "But these negotiations will be on C-SPAN. And so the public will be part of the conversation, and will see the choices being made." -January 2008, San Francisco Chronicle
  • "We will have the negotiations televised on C-SPAN so people can see who is making arguments on behalf of their constituents, and who are making arguments on behalf of the drug companies or the insurance companies." -August 2008, Virginia Town Hall
  • "And we will have a public process for forming this plan. It'll be televised on C-SPAN. I can't guarantee it'll be exciting so not everybody's gonna be watching. But it will be transparent and accountable to the American people." -November 2007, Keene Sentinel

END RESULT: When Senator John McCain pointed out to Obama (in February 2010) that the proceedings had not been televised, Obama said, disparagingly: “We're not campaigning anymore, the election's over.”

VI) OBAMA PROMISES THAT HEALTHCARE REFORM WILL LOWER INSURANCE POLICY PREMIUM COSTS:

* During the 2008 campaign, President Obama promised to “sign a universal health care bill into law by the end of [his] first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family’s premium by up to $2,500 a year.”

* During the healthcare debate, Obama
said: "We agree on reforms that will finally reduce the costs of health care. Families will save on their premiums; businesses that will see their costs rise if we do nothing will save money now and in the future.  This plan will strengthen Medicare and extend the life of that program.  And because it gets rid of the waste and inefficiencies in our health care system, this will be the largest deficit reduction plan in over a decade.”

* In October 2008,
Obama said: “Here’s what I would do. If you’ve got health care already, and probably the majority of you do, then you can keep your plan if you are satisfied with it. You can keep your choice of doctor. We’re going to work with your employer to lower the cost of your premiums by up to $2,500 a year.”

* MIT economist Jonathan Gruber, the chief architect of Obamacare, also
said in 2009 that costs would drop sharply.

* On September 22, 2010, Obama
reiterated that “as a consequence of the Affordable Care Act, premiums are going to be lower than they would be otherwise; health care costs overall are going to be lower than they would be otherwise. And that means, by the way, that the deficit is going to be lower than it would be otherwise.”

END RESULT:

* Exactly the opposite has happened, as the Heritage Foundation reported in 2011: “Health care spending increased by 7.5 percent in 2010 and will grow by 8 percent this year. In 2012, it will rise again by 8.5 percent. This is exactly the opposite of the President’s promise ...”

* In February 2012, Obamacare's Jonathan Gruber
backtracked on his previous analysis. He now told officials in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Colorado the price of insurance premiums would “dramatically increase” under the reforms.

* The Heritage Foundation projects that the average cost of employer-provided insurance will rise by
$5.51 per hour for each full-time employee.

* Obama initially stated that his plan would cost no more than $940 billion over a ten-year period. But a subsequent CBO report found that the actual cost to taxpayers would be
$1.8 trillion.

paknari
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Where do you live? I'm just curious because in AZ, nothing has changed for those who already have insurance. Either you have a lot of people who just didn't have insurance or they work for some really shitty companies. My premiums have not changed and I will actually be getting money back at the end of the year. I find it convenient how you say how "others" have been hurt by this. How about giving a personal account rather than some vague I was told this from someone on my Facebook? How has it affected you?

Quoting grandmab125:

It wasn’t a white lie. It wasn’t a fib. It wasn’t a half truth. It was a bold-faced lie.

“No matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise,” President Obama told the American Medical Association in 2009. “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what.”

On Thursday I asked my Facebook community if they had faced hardships as a result of ObamaCare. 

The response was overwhelming. I received nearly 1,000 replies – from small business owners, nurses, doctors, electricians, stay-at-home moms, and military personnel. Every single person said they had been adversely affected by President Obama’s signature legislation.

Thursday he told an audience in Largo, Maryland that the Affordable Care Act had not hurt jobs.

“There's no widespread evidence that the Affordable Care Act is hurting jobs,” he said.

Investor’s Business Daily reports that as a direct result of ObamaCare, more than 300 companies have either eliminated jobs or reduced full time jobs to part time jobs. Hospitals across the country are firing staff and reducing work hours.

Janet Blanck owns Country Blossom Florist, a small shop in Gilbert, Ariz. She tells me that as a result of ObamaCare she’s had to lay off three employees.

At one time, she employed eight people. Those who were not let go now work part-time because of rising insurance costs.

“Obama is killing us,” she told me. “It breaks my heart to have to do this. I have to protect what I have built and this is the only way that I know of to get around this law and still stay in business.”

Several hundred of you, like Joel Keefauver, wrote to tell me that your doctors were either shuttering their practices or shedding patients.

“Under the forthcoming Affordable Care Act and new healthcare regulations, I will no longer be able to provide the quality of healthcare you have come to expect and that I believe is proper,” the doctor wrote in a letter to Keefauver. “The increased cost imposed by complying with these new laws, along with decreasing reimbursements, creates a financial burden that is unsustainable for my solo practice.”

DiDi Henry’s elderly mother recently moved from Alabama to Louisiana. She has been unable to find a doctor willing to take Medicare patients.

“Several doctors told her that they just aren’t taking Medicare patients because of ObamaCare,” she told me.

The president also told us ObamaCare would make health insurance affordable? Another whopper.

Business owner Sheila Frey tells me her insurance rates have increased by 46 percent. Her small family-run company is paying $2,000 a month for coverage.

And remember how President Obama promised rebate checks to defray the cost of buying insurance coverage? Well, Shelia tells me her rebate check was a meager $127. You do the math.

“My family doctor of 20 years couldn’t take my newborn due to this insurance mess,” she wrote. “With a family of six all seen by this one doctor, I suddenly had to search for a new pediatrician.”

President Obama promised we could keep our current health care plan. Another lie.

Michelle Cox, of Asheville, N.C. wrote to me about a letter she received Thursday from her insurance company.

“ACA requires is to make significant changes to our health benefits plan designs,” the letter read. “We cannot renew your existing plan in 2014.”

Alissa Delamar is in the same boat -- searching for insurance after her company canceled its group plan.

“I’m stressed so much financially now I can’t fathom any more debt,” she wrote. “It leaves you hopeless.”

Catherine Schneider and her husband own Blue Sky Trucking in Montgomery, Minn. They were just informed that their insurance policy would be canceled in December.

“It’s too expensive,” she said. “The Affordable Care Act is disrupting our business and it has the potential to destroy our family.”

“I thought Obama said we could keep our insurance?” she asked. “I thought he said our cost would decline? Not true! Epic fail!”

Her family was offered a new policy that now includes a nearly $1,000 monthly premium and $5,000 in individual deductibles.

“I am seriously considering just paying the fine and putting the differential amount in a personal savings account,” she told me. “Why should I pay over $13,000 in premiums?”

By the time ObamaCare is fully implemented, I suspect most Americans will be begging for death panels – to put us out of our misery.

Todd Starnes is host of Fox News & Commentary heard on hundreds of radio stations and in his weekly podcast. Sign up for his American Dispatch newsletter and be sure to join his Facebook page.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Did you miss the name 'Todd Starnes' at the end of the post?  I didn't write this, I merely posted it....and it is factually true.  So, you can stop running off at the mouth about it.

I now have medicare.  HHS made $716B cuts to Medicare to fund Obamacare.  Most drs will not take new Medicare patients and many have dropped the Medicare patients they had.  I am fortunate that so far my internist is keeping her medicare patients.  She however will not take new Medicare or Medicaid patients.  Every time I've had to go to my various specialists since I went on medicare, I first had to ask them when I made an app't if they took Medicare.  It frightens me to think of my and other Medicare patients' futures under Obamacare.

Obamacare's $716 Billion in Cuts Will Drive Doctors Out of Medicare

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2012/08/20/how-obamacares-716-billion-in-cuts-will-drive-doctors-out-of-medicare/ - 119k -

Obamacare now penalizes hospitals that readmit patients within 30 days of discharge.  20% of Medicare patients are re-admitted after discharge.

Medicare's Hospital ReadmissionReduction Program FAQ - ACEP

http://www.acep.org/Legislation-and-Advocacy/Practice-Management-Issues/Physician-Payment-Reform/Medicare-s-Hospital-Readmission-Reduction-Program-FAQ/ - 53k -

For the last 13 years I paid for my own insurance with IL BC/BS.  Since Obamacare was signed, my premiums had increased several times totalling an additional $1,000+ a month.

So your premiums haven't changed, huh?  Maybe your or your husband's employer has absorbed the additional costs for now.  Just wait until Obamacare kicks in fully in 2014.  If you buy your own...surprise...your one-time refund is likely to be under $100.  Big deal. 

Quoting paknari:

Where do you live? I'm just curious because in AZ, nothing has changed for those who already have insurance. Either you have a lot of people who just didn't have insurance or they work for some really shitty companies. My premiums have not changed and I will actually be getting money back at the end of the year. I find it convenient how you say how "others" have been hurt by this. How about giving a personal account rather than some vague I was told this from someone on my Facebook? How has it affected you?

Quoting grandmab125:

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:33 AM

I pay $436 PER WEEK for a family plan thru my employer. And it's NOT even the most expensive. There are 2 plans MORE expensive than the one I have and only 1 LESS expensive. My premiums went up last year. And I'm certain they'll go up this year. Our open enrollement is toward the end of this month, I'm certain my rate will increase...stay tuned...meanwhile, I'm not holding my breath.

And how will you be getting money back at the end of the year?

Quoting paknari:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN