Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The Unbelievable Reason This Police Officer Dad Was Told Not to Visit His Daughter’s School While in Uniform

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Eds
  • 11 Replies

The Unbelievable Reason This Police Officer Dad Was Told Not to Visit His Daughter’s School While in Uniform

The image of a uniformed police officer dropping off his daughter at her elementary school was apparently too scary of an image for some parents in Mesa, Ariz. It’s not his uniform that is making them uncomfortable, it’s the gun holstered on his hip.

Police Officer Dad Told Not to Visit School in Uniform Because of Gun

(shutterstock.com)

The principal at Entz Elementary School has reportedly asked the father not to wear his police uniform on campus ever again because parents are concerned that he carries a firearm.

Now, “a lot of people” are “shocked and upset” over the decision, KSAZ-TV reports.

The officer, Scott Urkov of the Coolidge Police Department, only dropped his daughter off at her school.

Officer Urkov wasn’t too happy about the decision either. He reportedly posted the following message on Facebook after the incident:

“Nothing like your kids school calling and asking if I could not come to pick up my daughter in uniform cause parents were concerned when their kids came home telling them there was a man at school with a gun. Are you freaking kidding me?”

However, Urkov told KSAZ-TV that he has been advised not to talk about the incident any more and “just let it be.”

Helen Hollands, spokesperson for Mesa Unified School District, confirmed that there were “some parents who were concerned about that fact that there was a fully armed officer on campus and they spoke to the principal about it.”

The school district apologized if the cop “took the discussion the wrong way.”

“[T]hat was not the intent of the principal to offend him,” Hollands added.

“Meanwhile, while school officials’ initial reaction was to ask the officer not to wear his gun and uniform to school, they are now saying they want to turn this incident into ‘a teachable moment,’” KSAZ-TV reports. “They invited the officer to a special assembly to talk about what police officers do for the community.”

VIDEO HERE:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/03/the-unbelievable-reason-this-police-officer-dad-was-told-not-to-visit-school-while-in-uniform/

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:52 AM
2 moms liked this
Seriously?? This is what a touchy feely society does smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Considering all the incidents with guns lately.
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM
JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Maybe these parents should start teaching their children about police instead of teaching them to fear guns. 

sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Hmmmm....not that unbelievable that people would be freaked out by seeing a gun at school.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sarahjz:

Hmmmm....not that unbelievable that people would be freaked out buy seeing a gun at school.

on a police officers uniform?

How stupid are poeple?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Be a damn shame if a robber/rapist/killer showed up those concerned parents houses and the Police were a little slow to show up for the fear of offending someone.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Guess it's just a black panthers uniform we shouldn't be scared of..SMH.  They did help and/or were asked to help police Chicago if I remember correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK3-lqLIuEM

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Let me guess: The principal is a low information Obama voter.

Citygirlk
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Exactly I would feel better knowing a uniformed officar was there at pick up and drop off time.

Quoting -Celestial-:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)