Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

History does not support Obama's narrative: 5 presidents, 17 shutdowns; all negotiated . . . except you-know-who

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM
  • 10 Replies

History does not support Obama's narrative:

5 presidents, 17 shutdowns; all negotiated . . . except you-know-who

By Herman Cain |  Thursday, October 3, 2013 

To listen to the White House and the media, you would get the impression that a government shutdown, brought on by the inability of Congress to agree on a spending measure, is unprecedented! And to listen to Obama, you’d think that for Congress to actually demand conditions for passing such a measure is akin to taking hostages and holding them at gunpoint.

Do you know how many times in this nation’s history the government has experienced at least a partial shutdown because Congress could not come to an agreement on a spending measure? Seventeen times. Yep. Seventeen.

You’d think that. But you’d be wrong.

"Unprecedented!?"  R-I-G-H-T.

Government shutdowns occurred during the presidencies of Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and Bill Clinton. They were of varying lengths and degrees of severity, but they all happened. And as this Fox News graphic illustrates, all five presidents negotiated with Congress to come to an agreement.

Only one – Barack Obama – considers himself above negotiating with Congress, and claims the right to describe the priorities of Congress as arson and anarchy.

featured-img

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM
And we are suppsoe to believe Fox news? the same Fox news that one of their "reporters" made a complete idiot of herself on the air???? Umm No
PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry after the last 2 lies fox news has told and been called out on I will let this play out before making a decision on how it was handled.  Right now I am pissed at all of Congress and definitely irritated with Obama.  But we will wait and see if negotiations will come or not.

Billiejeens
by Emerald Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Why is that the only response that you dumb masses have?

I understand that you have almost nothing going on mentally, but here is how a debate works.

If you have information that contradicts the post, you post the information simply not liking the source, has nothing to do with the information.

Example  - Fox says the sky is White with Purple polka dots.

You post, no the Sky is Blue and then you post sources.

Quoting Sat.Wed:

And we are suppsoe to believe Fox news? the same Fox news that one of their "reporters" made a complete idiot of herself on the air???? Umm No

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM
3 moms liked this

Do you mean mistake?

Please define "mistake" and "lie?"

What about the 2032 intentional lies of the MSM?

When were you going to call those out?

Libertarians believe in liberty and justice for all - not apartheid toward one's ideological opponents.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Sorry after the last 2 lies fox news has told and been called out on I will let this play out before making a decision on how it was handled.  Right now I am pissed at all of Congress and definitely irritated with Obama.  But we will wait and see if negotiations will come or not.

Ednarooni160
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM
5 moms liked this

Not surprised..NOT surprised at all..it's a "my way or the highway"..."let them eat cake"..."do as I say not as I do" mentality for this administration.  If they make a mistake (LIKE ACA)..it's a different story..running guns..different story...Benhazi...different story...IRS targeting conservatives...different story...etc..etc..etc..

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

BUMP!

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM
3 moms liked this

How are you with The Washington Post? I didn't copy the article itself because it was quite lengthly. Here's the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/09/25/here-is-every-previous-government-shutdown-why-they-happened-and-how-they-ended/

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting facts I pulled from the article.

1. For all but 2 shutdowns the DEMs have controlled the SENATE
  2. House control is split
  3. The 5 longest occured under a dem prez with a dem house/senate except 1.
  4. The 5 longest shutdowns were occured during a DEM prez.
  5. 8 shutdowns with a Dem prez, lasting a total of 93 days.
  6. 9 shutdowns with a Rep prez, lasting a total of 17 days.
  7. 4 of the 5 longest occured with a DEM prez, house AND senate.

Makes me wonder just exactly WHO isn't willing to negotiate??

HHHHMMMMM.....

Shutdown #  and year

# of days

President

House control

Senate control

1   1976

Ford (Dem)

Dem

Dem

2   1977

Carter (Dem)

Dem

Dem

3   1977

Carter (Dem)

Dem

Dem

4   1977

Carter (Dem)

Dem

Dem

5   1978

Carter (Dem)

Dem

Dem

6   1979

Carter (Dem)

Dem

Dem

7    1981

Reagan (Rep)

Rep

Dem

8    1982

Reagan (Rep)

Rep

Dem

9     1982

Reagan (Rep)

Rep

Dem

10   1983

Reagan (Rep)

Rep

Dem

11   1984

Reagan (Rep)

Rep

Dem

12   1984

Reagan (Rep)

Rep

Dem

13    1986

Reagan (Rep)

Rep

Dem

14     1987

Reagan (Rep)

Rep

Dem

15    1990

George H.W. Bush (Rep)

Rep

Dem

16    1995

Clinton (Dem)

Dem

Rep

17    1995

Clinton (Dem)

Dem

Rep

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:26 AM
21 days with Clinton and the economy still boomed.
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I think what you are referring to is that the economy never has had any long-term harm from the government slowdowns. Not once in any of the 17 times.

And you are right. As long as the slowdown isn't more than 2-3 weeks, we'll be fine.

And as we both know, Clinton and Gingrich, and Reagan and O'Neill, met EVERY SINGLE DAY during the shutdown.

So why does Obama think he shouldn't. And how does he think negotiation is even possible if he and Reid don't do it, only the House Republicans? We all know negotiation is not his strong suit - but he has Biden and others who are very good at it.

Quoting -Celestial-:

21 days with Clinton and the economy still boomed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)