Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Postal Service must destroy Michelle O 'Just Move' stamp series, due to safety concerns

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM
  • 57 Replies

According to Linn’s Stamp News, the US Postal Service has now been forced to destroy the entire run of stamps based on Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” initiative. 

That’s because three of the stamps showed children doing unsafe activities: one showed a child jumping cannonball-style into water; a second showed a child skateboarding without kneepads; a third showed a child doing a headstand without a helmet. 

The President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition had not approved the stamps, but were only made aware of the problem after Nagisa Manabe, USPS marketing chief, asked Michelle Obama to take part in the ceremony inaugurating the initiative.

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM
3 moms liked this

this is ridiculous.  so now it is a bad thing that she endorse kids getting off of the video games and actually play outside:/  Better watch out one of those stamps shows a swinging without goggles on, and another one hitting a ball without a helmet on:/ 

annas_momma
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM
5 moms liked this
You've got the be freaking kidding me? A helmet for a headstand? A cannonball jump in a pool? These things are "unsafe"?

I'm going to go beat my head into a wall now..

And no I will not be wearing a helmet!
Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM
That was my thing to a helmet to do a headstand?? umm then its not a headstand, cannonballing?? really now cliff jumping is dangerous but cannon balling??? oh my goodness
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

That's such a waste.  If they thought they showed unsafe practices (which I think is a joke) they have just decided to make another run of them, not destroy the ones already made.  

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Since when does the President's Council on Fitness.....have to approve postal stamps?  More gov't waste...

With the Just Move! stamp issuance the U.S. Postal Service hoped to raise awareness about the importance of physical activity in achieving a healthy lifestyle. However, according to Linns Stamp News, the USPS will be destroying the entire press run after receiving concerns from the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition over alleged “unsafe” acts depicted on three of the stamps (cannonball dive, skateboarding without kneepads and a headstand without a helmet). (There’s also a batter without a batting helmet, a girl balancing on a slippery rock, and a soccer player without kneepads or shin pads.)

sweetaspie630
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM

banging head into wall

EmilysMom2010
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Another great waste of money.
kailu1835
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok, lack of kneepads I can see, but jumping in cannonball? And the logic behind needing a helmet to do a head stand completely escapes me.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Do you understand the story?

Quoting denise3680:

this is ridiculous.  so now it is a bad thing that she endorse kids getting off of the video games and actually play outside:/  Better watch out one of those stamps shows a swinging without goggles on, and another one hitting a ball without a helmet on:/ 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

NO worries though - this same Government is going to run our Health Care System -

F A B U L O U S L Y !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)