Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

On Eve Of Shutdown, House GOP Rigged The House Rules To Prevent Democrats Reopening Government

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:47 AM
  • 63 Replies

On Eve Of Shutdown, House GOP Rigged The House Rules To Prevent Democrats Reopening Government

BY IAN MILLHISER ON OCTOBER 10, 2013 AT 11:56 AM

eric cantor

Less than two hours before shutting down the government, House Republicanscreated a special rule to prevent Democrats from reopening the government. The House’s normal rules provide that “[w]hen the stage of disagreement has been reached on a bill or resolution with House or Senate amendments, a motion to dispose of any amendment shall be privileged” — a provision that House Democrats believe would have enabled any member of the House to force a vote on a bill to fund the government that had already passed the Senate. Yet, as Dylan Scott reports, the Republican caucus thwarted the maneuver by enacting a special rule preventing this vote from taking place.

Under this special rule, such an attempt to fund the government “may be offered only by the majority Leader or his designee.” Thus, with a shutdown looming, the power to allow a vote that would likely have prevented the government from closing was left in Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s (R-VA) hands. Cantor, of course, chose not to exercise that power.

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kailu1835
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:51 AM
4 moms liked this
Right. They just came up with a new rule off the top of their head with no vote. Uh huh. Sure. I'll believe that.
Clairwil
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting kailu1835:

Right. They just came up with a new rule off the top of their head with no vote. Uh huh. Sure. I'll believe that.

They did vote on it.

http://rules.house.gov/video/rules-committee-hearing-hj-res-59-senate-amendment-iii

H.J. Res. 59 - Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2014 (Senate Amendment III)

Rule Information

COMMITTEE ACTION:
REPORTED BY RECORD VOTE of 9-4 on Monday, September 30, 2013.

FLOOR ACTION ON H. RES. 368: 
ADOPTED by record vote of 228-199 on Tuesday, October 1, 2013. 

MANAGERS: Sessions/Slaughter

1. Provides that the House insists on its amendment tot he SEnate amendment to H.J. Res. 59, the Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2014, and requests a conference with the Senate thereon.

2. Section 2 of the rule provides that any motion pursuant to clause 4 of rule XXII relating to H.J. Res. 59 may be offered only by the majority Leader or his designee.

Committee Votes

Rules Committee Record Vote No. 77

Motion by Ms. Foxx to report the rule. Adopted 9-4.

Majority Member  Vote
Ms. Foxx         Yea
Mr. Bishop       Yea
Mr. Cole         Yea
Mr. Woodall      Yea
Mr. Nugent       Yea
Mr. Webster      Yea
Ms. Ros-Lehtinen Yea
Mr. Burgess      Yea
Mr. Sessions     Yea

Minority Member  Vote
Ms. Slaughter    Nay
Mr. McGovern     Nay
Mr. Hastings     Nay
Mr. Polis        Nay
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:32 AM
5 moms liked this

thinkprogress-striving to ensure stupidity

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM

im sorry

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM
By committee?

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting kailu1835:

They did vote on it.

http://rules.house.gov/video/rules-committee-hearing-hj-res-59-senate-amendment-iii

H.J. Res. 59 -
Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2014 (Senate Amendment III)

Rule Information

COMMITTEE ACTION:

REPORTED BY RECORD VOTE of 9-4 on Monday, September 30, 2013.

FLOOR ACTION ON H. RES. 368: 

ADOPTED by record vote of 228-199 on
Tuesday, October 1, 2013. 

MANAGERS: Sessions/Slaughter

1. Provides that the House insists on its amendment tot he SEnate
amendment to H.J. Res. 59, the Continuing Appropriations Resolution,
2014, and requests a conference with the Senate thereon.

2. Section 2 of the rule provides that any motion pursuant to clause 4
of rule XXII relating to H.J. Res. 59 may be offered only by the
majority Leader or his designee.

Committee Votes

Rules Committee
Record Vote No. 77

Motion by Ms. Foxx to report the rule. Adopted 9-4.

Majority
Vote

Ms. Foxx         Yea

Mr. Bishop       Yea

Mr. Cole         Yea

Mr. Woodall      Yea

Mr. Nugent       Yea

Mr. Webster      Yea

Ms. Ros-Lehtinen Yea

Mr. Burgess      Yea

Mr. Sessions     Yea

Minority
  Vote

Ms. Slaughter    Nay

Mr. McGovern     Nay

Mr. Hastings     Nay

Mr. Polis        Nay

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Quoting mustbeGRACE:

im sorry

For what?

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kailu1835:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting kailu1835:

They did vote on it.

By committee?

Yes, by the Rules Committee.

It isn't a law.  It is a rule.  That's why the Rules Committee is the body that voted upon it.

I'm not quite sure how you're managing to not believe this.   It is there, in black and white, on the house's own website.   I even linked to a video of it happening, so you could watch it take place with your own two eyes.

AdrianneHill
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this
No, only liberals can destroy the country without a thought! When conservatives do it, it is tough love
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting kailu1835:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting kailu1835:Right. They just came up with a new rule off the top of their head with no vote. Uh huh. Sure. I'll believe that.

They did vote on it.

By committee?

It isn't a law.  It is a rule.  That's why the Rules Committee is the body that voted upon it.

I'm not quite sure how you're managing to not believe this.   It is there, in black and white, on the house's own website.   I even linked to a video of it happening, so you could watch it take place with your own two eyes.

So you are saying that a rules committee made a rule.

Not really all that (yawn) interesting.

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I fully admit to not understanding how this works. The article made it sound like the Republican members of congress decided to change the rules by themselves. And that I dint believe. I can fully believe that the committee changed it. So my question is how many committee members are Republican?

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting kailu1835:

They did vote on it.

By committee?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)