Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man Takes His Lawn Mower to D.C. to Do What the Government Won't

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM
  • 5 Replies

Man Takes His Lawn Mower to D.C. to Do What the Government Won't (VIDEO)

by Lisa Fogarty

Are you sick and tired of hearing the same people lodge complaints about the government shutdown on news programs? Even my close friends' tweet-insults at whichever politician they're peeved at in the moment are getting bor-ring to read. Words don't do a whole lot to change the situation or further a political cause, do they?

But while most of us rattle our rants on Facebook and go back to eating lunch, an unassuming 45-year-old man named Chris Cox quietly bought a lawn mower, threw on jeans and a T-shirt, and headed up from South Carolina to Washington, D.C. He has made more of an impact than the millions screaming for change by doing something totally wacky and awesome: mowing the lawn in front of the Lincoln Memorial

Cox says he wasn't trying to make a political statement, he was just a concerned citizen who found it pitiful that our national monuments aren't being tended to during the government shutdown. Holding a South Carolina flag in one hand, he proclaimed it his duty to be out there. He hopes to encourage others to get out to parks or national monuments with trash bags or leaf blowers and do their part to care for places that belong to all of us. 

Is this man inspirational or what? Even after the U.S. Park Police tossed his proud butt off the lawn and told him never to return, he refused to apologize. And why should he? Cox can hold tight to his belief that he wasn't protesting the shutdown, but his action comes across as one of the best and most polite silent and helpful protests we've seen in a long time. He isn't taking a stand in order to make a name for himself or a specific cause. He's showing us that we have the right to act like proud American citizens, even when our elected leaders aren't setting a stellar example for us. 

Well, I guess I should change that statement to: He's showing us we almost have a right to act like proud American citizens -- as long as you don't plan on mowing monument lawns any time soon. 

What do you think about what this man did?

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:22 AM
3 moms liked this

Those damn conservatives!!! ;  )

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

clapping

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I saw him interviewed on Fox News. I was very impressed by him.
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM
I saw him interviewed on Fox News. I was very impressed by him.
jcrew6
by Jenney on Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Good for him. Did anyone see the unpaid Capitol workers forced to clean up the immigration rally? The one Pelosi thanked Obama for the special treatment so it could go on. Wow.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)