Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Liberal heckling sparks stream of one-liners from Ted Cruz

Posted by   + Show Post

Alex Pappas

After his recent 21-hour filibuster-style marathon speech on Obamacare, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz found himself heckled over and over again by liberal activists during remarks at a conservative conference in Washington D.C. on Friday.

The constant interrupting by hecklers throughout his speech at the Values Voter Summit led the Republican lawmaker to throw out a number of crowd-pleasing one-liners:

• In response to one heckler, Cruz said: “Thank you, sir, for being here. You know, look, it is a great thing that people can express their First Amendment rights. And I only wish the Obama administration respected First Amendment rights that much.”
  • To another heckler, Cruz responded: “Ma’am, thank you for being here. I wish you would participate in the democratic process through speaking respectfully. … It seems that President Obama’s paid political operatives are out in force today. And you know why? Because the men and women in this room scare the living daylights out of them.”
  • Interrupted again, Cruz took aim at the president: “You know what? I’m curious. Is anybody left at the Organizing for America headquarters? I’m actually glad that the president’s whole political staff is here instead of actually doing mischief in the country.”
  • When another heckler yelled out a question, Cruz responded: “You know what’s striking, actually? In the course of this brief speech, we’ve heard more questions than President Obama has allowed in the last year.”
  • The heckling then led Cruz to “make an offer” to Obama. “I would welcome the president, if he wants to get a hundred of his most rabid political operatives in a room, I’ll answer their questions on television as long as he likes. And in exchange, all that I would ask, Mr. President, is you take not a hundred, but ten of the men and women in this room, and spend 30 minutes answering their questions for the American people.”
  • To another liberal activist, Cruz responded: “Oh, they don’t want the truth to be heard. They definitely don’t want the truth to be heard.”
  • After the crowd broke into chants of “USA, USA” in response to another interruption, Cruz said: “You know the nice thing? The nice thing is the left will always always tell you who they fear. You. They fear the American people.”

Cruz received a rock-star-like reception from the conservatives in attendance. “I receive that blessing. And let me say to each and everyone of you, I am inspired by you. I am invigorated by your passion for this great country,” he said.

“These are extraordinary times,” Cruz said at the beginning of this remarks. “These are not typical times. The challenges facing this country are unlike any we have ever seen. You look at our Constitution, you look at our Bill of Rights. This is an administration that seems bound and determined to violate every single one our Bill of Rights.”

Cruz got laughs by saying, “I don’t know that they’ve yet violated the Third Amendment, but I expect them to start quartering soldiers in people’s homes soon.”

To the social conservatives in the crowd, Cruz said of the Obama White House: “This is an administration that has told service men and women that they cannot share their faith or risk discipline.”

“No administration in the history of this country has ever come after guns like this administration,” Cruz added.

He made a joking reference to his marathon speech last month, which included reading Dr. Seuss from the Senate floor: “Now as inspired as I am, I will do my very best to speak for less than 21 hours. But you will know I’m near wrapping up when I begin to read the Cat and the Hat,” Cruz said.

He also took a swipe at Joe Biden. The crowd broke into laughter when Cruz mentioned the vice president’s name. “You know the nice thing? You don’t need a punch line. You just say his name, people laugh.”

As the president and Congress still work to find a solution to the government shutdown, Cruz told the crowd he is going to the White House for a meeting on Friday.

“This afternoon, President Obama has invited the Senate Republicans to the White House. So after leaving here, I am going to be going to the White House,” he said.

“I will make a request,” Cruz added to loud applause. “If I’m never seen again, please send a search-and-rescue team.”

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Replies (41-50):
JustCJ
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Awesome haha!

Stephanie329
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I really dislike hecklers, they look like assess.
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Carpy:

I would like to see Cruz/Gowdy on the ballot.

They would be a great team, Carpy.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Interrupted again, Cruz took aim at the president: “You know what? I’m curious. Is anybody left at the Organizing for America headquarters? I’m actually glad that the president’s whole political staff is here instead of actually doing mischief in the country.

Love it..

dancing              good

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Interrupted again, Cruz took aim at the president: “You know what? I’m curious. Is anybody left at the Organizing for America headquarters? I’m actually glad that the president’s whole political staff is here instead of actually doing mischief in the country.

Love it..

Good to see ya Blonde...!!!!!

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Love it..

Good to see ya Blonde...!!!!!

You too Ednasmile minireally busy lately.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Some of you like to compare Romneycare to Obamacare. Pema, you stated recipients love this HC law. Was Romneycare mandated under penalty of law & a fine?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

No. 

You mad about the mandate? You better contact your republican reps about that then. 

The website was ready. Did they promise no glitches? Think about it when MediCare and RomneyCare started there were problems in the beginning and now well people love those programs.

I say give it a chance. It will work it meant to be. If not it will fail and we can move on to better things. 

Quoting jcrew6:

Is CM dependent on taxpayer funds? Are people mandated to purchase a product on CM by law? Did CM execs go on a media blitz claiming it would be ready?
ObamaCare knew how many people need to sign up each day in each state to make this a success. All this is doing is adding to the case of when has the government EVER implemented something for the people (excluding military action) successfully?

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Romneycare Architect: Individual Mandate 'Very Similar' In Obama, Romney Bills

Posted:  Updated: 06/29/2012 2:13 pm

Obama Romney

WASHINGTON -- One of the few individuals who worked on health care reform under both Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama said on Friday that the controversial individual mandate provision was virtually identical in the bills signed into law by each of them.

"They are very similar," said Jonathan Gruber, a professor of Economics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in an interview with The Huffington Post. "They aren't the same exact mandate, but they have the same basic structure."

Gruber was a key architect of the sweeping health insurance reform legislation that Romney passed as governor of Massachusetts. In addition, he advised Democrats and the Obama administration on how to build the Affordable Care Act. As that 18-month process unfolded, Gruber famously unloaded on Romney for his attacks on Obamacare, arguing that the two were the "same fucking bill."

Those similarities, he said on Friday, extend to the individual mandate.

"Basically the way it would function is you have a form 1099-HC, which is like a health care form you get from your insurer every year, and you would attach it to your taxes," he said, describing how the mandate would work nationally. "That form would show you have health insurance and you're fine. If you don't have health insurance, you fill out a form on your taxes ... which computes whether you're exempt from the penalty, [which would be the case] if your income is too low or insurance costs too much. Finally, if you don't have the form and you're not exempt, there will be a penalty on your taxes."

In Massachusetts, the Department of Revenue is in charge of enforcing the penalty. For the Affordable Care Act, the responsibility would rest with the IRS.

"The size of the penalty in Massachusetts is an amount that depends on your income," Gruber said. According to the Associated Press, in 2012, "those making more than three times the poverty level –- $32,676 for an individual –- pay the highest penalty of $105 per month, or $1,260 per year."

Nationally, added Gruber, "they do a similar thing. It would be whatever is bigger: $695 or 2.5 percent of your income."

As governor, Romney initially opposed including an individual mandate as part of health care reform. Under pressure from legislators, he ended up signing one into law. Since then, Gruber relayed, the policy has worked well. In the first year alone, 98 percent of tax filers "got it right." A total of 44,000 residents in a state of 6 million paid a penalty.

"I will say that the fines have gone down," current Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) said Friday morning on MSNBC, "because more and more people, as the statistics you cited indicate, have taken up insurance."

As recently as 2008, Romney was comfortable with the idea that such a penalty constituted a tax. But the contours of the debate have changed dramatically since then. And in the wake of the Supreme Court's decision to uphold the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act's individual mandate under Congress' taxing authority, the presumptive Republican nominee has begun denouncing the mandate as a major tax hike in the strongest possible terms.

"But the people of America, I think, recognize that this legislation is not right for America. It will cost $500 billion in taxes," Romney said at a fundraiser on Friday morning.

In a conference call organized by the Obama campaign, Patrick insisted that the mandate did not constitute a tax. "This is a penalty," he said.

A top Obama administration official, meanwhile, said that if Romney were to argue that Obamacare included a massive tax hike, the president was prepared to respond that, by logical extension, Romney raised taxes in Massachusetts.

A request for comment from the Romney campaign was not immediately returned.

UPDATE: Romney spokesperson Andrea Saul responded in an email, which noted (accurately) that Obama insisted the mandate wasn't a tax while crafting reform. But Saul did not account for how that makes it any different from what Romney passed as governor.

Governor Romney disagreed with the court’s ruling and its findings. What's troubling is the President told the American people the mandate was not a tax, and then sent his lawyer to the Supreme Court to argue it was a tax. So he said one thing to get it passed, and then contradicted himself to get it past the court. This court's decision raises the stakes for the election in November. While Governor Romney is disappointed with the court's ruling, ultimately it is the people who will have the final word.
Quoting blondekosmic15:

Some of you like to compare Romneycare to Obamacare. Pema, you stated recipients love this HC law. Was Romneycare mandated under penalty of law & a fine?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

No. 

You mad about the mandate? You better contact your republican reps about that then. 

The website was ready. Did they promise no glitches? Think about it when MediCare and RomneyCare started there were problems in the beginning and now well people love those programs.

I say give it a chance. It will work it meant to be. If not it will fail and we can move on to better things. 

Quoting jcrew6:

Is CM dependent on taxpayer funds? Are people mandated to purchase a product on CM by law? Did CM execs go on a media blitz claiming it would be ready?
ObamaCare knew how many people need to sign up each day in each state to make this a success. All this is doing is adding to the case of when has the government EVER implemented something for the people (excluding military action) successfully?

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, by its size and reach, cannot be mistaken for RomneyCare. The two laws differ in subtle and nuanced ways: Romney wanted a private-oriented solution to encourage participation, control costs, and improve services. The federal law will force participation in a federal system when insurance plans change or do not follow federal regulations. ObamaCare adds many new taxes, while RomneyCare did not. The bill in Massachusetts was bipartisan and popular, unlike the federal bill. RomneyCare was openly debated for months, while the federal bill was passed without transparency. Questionable procedures were employed after the election of Senator Brown. The federal bill grants great authority to the secretary of health and human services, which threatens the people's due process rights. The state law set minimal standards for coverage, while the federal system details coverage. The state system consolidated other laws and reduced regulations, while the federal system increased rules.

Governor Romney inherited a state in debt. He balanced the budget and improved the state's fiscal health before the plan was enacted. In contrast, the federal debt grows, and health care reform will exacerbate this problem. Medicare reductions in the federal bill total $500 billion over ten years and are controlled by the Independent Payment Advisory Board.

Over 20 tax increases in the federal law include: a surcharge of 3.8% on investment incomes for wealthier household, a surcharge on higher Medicare wages, a tax penalty on individuals and employers without health insurance, excise tax on insurance companies, excise tax on Cadillac insurance plans, tax on certain bio-fuels, tax on innovative drug companies, tax on medical device manufacturers, increases the floor on medical deductions to 10%, reduces use of Flexible Spending Accounts, reduces Health Savings Account usage and increase penalties on over usage, taxes employer help with Medicare Part D (drug), tax on tanning salons, penalties for high income executives, penalties to the Blue Cross/Blue Shield companies, taxes on charitable hospitals that fail certain tests, and impose reporting by employers and individuals regarding health insurance. The total is between $500-750 billion over ten years. This law is the largest tax increase in history and will affect the middle class in contrast to the president's promises.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/07/will_romney_find_his_voice_on_health_care.html

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Romneycare Architect: Individual Mandate 'Very Similar' In Obama, Romney Bills

Posted:  Updated: 06/29/2012 2:13 pm

Obama Romney

WASHINGTON -- One of the few individuals who worked on health care reform under both Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama said on Friday that the controversial individual mandate provision was virtually identical in the bills signed into law by each of them.

"They are very similar," said Jonathan Gruber, a professor of Economics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in an interview with The Huffington Post. "They aren't the same exact mandate, but they have the same basic structure."

Gruber was a key architect of the sweeping health insurance reform legislation that Romney passed as governor of Massachusetts. In addition, he advised Democrats and the Obama administration on how to build the Affordable Care Act. As that 18-month process unfolded, Gruber famously unloaded on Romney for his attacks on Obamacare, arguing that the two were the "same fucking bill."

Those similarities, he said on Friday, extend to the individual mandate.

"Basically the way it would function is you have a form 1099-HC, which is like a health care form you get from your insurer every year, and you would attach it to your taxes," he said, describing how the mandate would work nationally. "That form would show you have health insurance and you're fine. If you don't have health insurance, you fill out a form on your taxes ... which computes whether you're exempt from the penalty, [which would be the case] if your income is too low or insurance costs too much. Finally, if you don't have the form and you're not exempt, there will be a penalty on your taxes."

In Massachusetts, the Department of Revenue is in charge of enforcing the penalty. For the Affordable Care Act, the responsibility would rest with the IRS.

"The size of the penalty in Massachusetts is an amount that depends on your income," Gruber said. According to the Associated Press, in 2012, "those making more than three times the poverty level –- $32,676 for an individual –- pay the highest penalty of $105 per month, or $1,260 per year."

Nationally, added Gruber, "they do a similar thing. It would be whatever is bigger: $695 or 2.5 percent of your income."

As governor, Romney initially opposed including an individual mandate as part of health care reform. Under pressure from legislators, he ended up signing one into law. Since then, Gruber relayed, the policy has worked well. In the first year alone, 98 percent of tax filers "got it right." A total of 44,000 residents in a state of 6 million paid a penalty.

"I will say that the fines have gone down," current Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) said Friday morning on MSNBC, "because more and more people, as the statistics you cited indicate, have taken up insurance."

As recently as 2008, Romney was comfortable with the idea that such a penalty constituted a tax. But the contours of the debate have changed dramatically since then. And in the wake of the Supreme Court's decision to uphold the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act's individual mandate under Congress' taxing authority, the presumptive Republican nominee has begun denouncing the mandate as a major tax hike in the strongest possible terms.

"But the people of America, I think, recognize that this legislation is not right for America. It will cost $500 billion in taxes," Romney said at a fundraiser on Friday morning.

In a conference call organized by the Obama campaign, Patrick insisted that the mandate did not constitute a tax. "This is a penalty," he said.

A top Obama administration official, meanwhile, said that if Romney were to argue that Obamacare included a massive tax hike, the president was prepared to respond that, by logical extension, Romney raised taxes in Massachusetts.

A request for comment from the Romney campaign was not immediately returned.

UPDATE: Romney spokesperson Andrea Saul responded in an email, which noted (accurately) that Obama insisted the mandate wasn't a tax while crafting reform. But Saul did not account for how that makes it any different from what Romney passed as governor.

Governor Romney disagreed with the court’s ruling and its findings. What's troubling is the President told the American people the mandate was not a tax, and then sent his lawyer to the Supreme Court to argue it was a tax. So he said one thing to get it passed, and then contradicted himself to get it past the court. This court's decision raises the stakes for the election in November. While Governor Romney is disappointed with the court's ruling, ultimately it is the people who will have the final word.
Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

No. 

Quoting jcrew6:

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM

RomneyCare & ObamaCare: Can you tell the difference?

By Angie Drobnic Holan
Published on Tuesday, March 20th, 2012 at 4:58 p.m.

To help you get ready for next week's arguments on the health care law before the U.S. Supreme Court, we will be publishing some helpful guides and summaries. For our first installment, we're re-publishing our fiendishly difficult quiz to see if you know the difference between RomneyCare and ObamaCare.

Mitt Romney has gone to great lengths to distance his Massachusetts health plan from the federal law, even giving a PowerPoint presentation to emphasize the differences. But the truth is that there are an awful lot ofsimilarities between the plan he signed in Massachusetts in 2006, often called "RomneyCare," and the one that President Barack Obama signed in 2010, dubbed "ObamaCare."

Both leave in place the major insurance systems: employer-provided insurance, Medicare for seniors and Medicaid for the poor. They seek to reduce the number of uninsured by expanding Medicaid and by offering tax breaks to help moderate income people buy insurance. People are required to buy insurance or pay a penalty, a mechanism called the "individual mandate." And companies that don't offer insurance have to pay fines, with exceptions for small business and a few other cases.

Take the quiz

Are you smart enough to tell the difference between ObamaCare and RomneyCare? Here are 10 descriptions of the plans that we got from the legislation that created the two plans, official summaries, private reports and interviews with experts. See if you know whether each description is for ObamaCare or RomneyCare.

1. "Individuals who are deemed able to afford health insurance but fail to comply are subject to penalties for each month of non-compliance in the tax year ... . The penalties, which will be imposed through the individual’s personal income tax return, shall not exceed 50% of the minimum monthly insurance premium." 

2. Employers "who employ 11 or more full-time equivalent employees" and do not make a "fair and reasonable contribution" to their employees' health insurance are required to pay a fine. 

3. "Tax credits to make it easier for the middle class to afford insurance will become available for people with income between 100 percent and 400 percent of the poverty line who are not eligible for other affordable coverage."

4. Children and adolescents up to age 18 "whose financial eligibility as determined by the division exceeds 133 per cent but is not more than 300 per cent of the federal poverty level" will be eligible for Medicaid.

5. "Americans who earn less than 133 percent of the poverty level (approximately $14,000 for an individual and $29,000 for a family of four) will be eligible to enroll in Medicaid."

6. A recent poll asked people whether they had a generally favorable or unfavorable view of the health plan. Responses split 41 percent and 41 percent between favoring and not favoring. Another 18 percent said they were undecided.

7. Small businesses qualify for tax credits if they pay for at least half of the workers' health insurance. A small business is defined as having fewer than 25 full-time workers paid average annual wages below $50,000.

8. Experience shows the plan is not significantly going to lower costs. Supporters of the law are actively considering new legislation aimed at cost containment.

9. The plan creates a Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute "to conduct research to provide information about the best available evidence to help patients and their health care providers make more informed decisions."

10. For individuals who make more than $200,000 or couples that make more than $250,000, the plan increases Medicare taxes on wages in 2013 by 0.9 percent and imposes a 3.8 percent tax on investment income.

So how many did you get right? (Answers below)

All 10: You're CBO Gold! You qualify to be an analyst at the Congressional Budget Office! 

8-9:  Lobbyist Silver! You're good enough to be a health care lobbyist! Watch out, Billy Tauzin!

6-7: Bronze Policy Wonk Circle! You can be a researcher at the Kaiser Family Foundation -- or Ezra Klein!

5-6: Talking Head Honorable Mention. You're good enough for shouting matches on cable news channels!

3-4: Pollster's "don't knows." It's hard to have an opinion when you don't know what's in the plan!

0-2: Chain E-Mail Level. You forward chain e-mails that say the federal health care law puts a tax on real estate. (Pants on Fire, by the way.)

ANSWERS:

1. RomneyCare

Source: Massachusetts Department of Revenue, TIR 09-25: Individual Mandate Penalties for Tax Year 2010
Note: Both plans have individual mandates. The federal penalties start small, but eventually ramp up to $695 per year or 2.5 percent of income, whichever is higher. Eventually, federal penalties will tend to be higher than the Massachusetts plan.

2. RomneyCare

Source: Massachusetts Department of Revenue, Health Care Information for Employers
Note: Federal law exempts employers with fewer than 50 workers. Additionally, under the federal plan, employers pay fines only if their workers qualify for tax credits to buy insurance. 

3. ObamaCare

Source: HealthCare.gov, Provisions of the Affordable Care Act, By Year
Note: The Massachusetts law also provides subsidized health insurance, but the income cut-off is 300 percent of the federal poverty level.

4. RomneyCare

Source: Massachusetts health care law
Note: The Massachusetts law expanded Medicaid for children. The federal law expands Medicaid to adults, but sets the cut-off at 133 percent of the federal poverty level. 

5. ObamaCare

Source: HealthCare.gov, Provisions of the Affordable Care Act, By Year
Note: The Massachusetts law expanded Medicaid for children. The federal law expands Medicaid to adults, but sets the cut-off at 133 percent of the federal poverty level. 

6. ObamaCare

Source: The Kaiser Family Foundation, Kaiser Health Tracking Poll, April 2011
Note: Polls show the federal law has split public opinion. Polls in Massachusetts show the program is significantly more popular. 

7. ObamaCare

Source: Internal Revenue Service, Small Business Health Care Tax Credit for Small Employers
Note: Tax credits start at 35 percent of the employer's health premium costs and increase to 50 percent in 2014.

8. RomneyCare

Source: Gov. Deval Patrick, Patrick-Murphy administration proposes comprehensive health care cost containment legislation, Feb. 17, 2011; AP, Lawmakers hear bill to rein in Mass. health costs, May 16, 2011

9. ObamaCare

Source: U.S. Government Accountability Office, Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Governing Board; Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), About Us

10. ObamaCare

Source: Kaiser Family Foundation, summary of new health reform law

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)