Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama rules out short-term debt ceiling hike.....after he said he would pass one....TAKE NOTE LIBERALS

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 19 Replies

Obama rules out short-term debt ceiling hike

By Brendan Sasso - 10/12/13 06:17 AM ET    

President Obama signaled Saturday that he wouldn't accept the Republicans' offer for a short-term increase in the nation's debt limit.

"It wouldn't be wise, as some suggest, to just kick the debt ceiling can down the road for a couple months, and flirt with a first-ever intentional default right in the middle of the holiday shopping season," Obama said in his weekly address.

"Because damage to America's sterling credit rating wouldn't just cause global markets to go haywire; it would become more expensive for everyone in America to borrow money. Students paying for college. Newlyweds buying a home," he said.

House Republicans have offered a six-week increase in the debt limit. If adopted, the plan will buy time for broader negotiations over entitlement spending and taxes, they say.

Obama claimed that the damage to interest rates from failing to pass a long-term debt ceiling hike would create a "Republican default tax" on families and businesses.

"Manufacturing crises to extract massive concessions isn't how our democracy works, and we have to stop it," Obama said. "Politics is a battle of ideas, but you advance those ideas through elections and legislation - not extortion."

The United States will hit the debt ceiling and begin defaulting on its bills on Thursday, according to the Treasury Department.
Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/328189-obama-pans-short-term-debt-ceiling-hike#ixzz2hVnRYHjh
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM
2 moms liked this

No need to worry about a default.

We take in way more than enough in taxes to pay the interest on our debt.

(now kids in monkey outfits might not get in to the National Zoo, but who cares)

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Did anyone watch is hour long speech on National TV on Tuesday?  During this speech, dialogue or whatever you want to call it.....he said that the Repubs should come up with a short term ceiling hike in order to hash out all of the other issues in order to get the ball rolling again.  If anyone was paying attention REID was saying the opposite during the same time frame.  The Repubs came up with one and guess who just reneged on his word......?????

mcclanto
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I agree. It would be great to not have to deal with this crap for awhile. We need a long term solution.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM
4 moms liked this

The long term solution is to cut back on spending.

Quoting mcclanto:

I agree. It would be great to not have to deal with this crap for awhile. We need a long term solution.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM
5 moms liked this

That is not the point.  He goes on National TV and tells the Repubs to do this very thing that he just denied.  Who can work with a man like this?  If you had a boss that instructed you to do a big project and then changed his mind over and over how would like it?  No wonder the Repubs are so fed up with this type of management!

Quoting mcclanto:

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

OMFG...what a f*cktard...screaming

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Geez, the Obama-tantrums never cease..

yes, no, yes, no, yes, no

Friday
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I agree with him. We have already kicked this can too many times. Congress and the WH need to get over themselves and work together to find a compromise. I've had it with all those losers.

LMAO at the indignation over Obama renigging after Reid & Boehner had a deal this summer and Boehner changed his mind. Obama and Boehner probably both got calls from their corporate masters to 'take a stand'.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

mcclanto
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Like the Republicans did with Affordable Care Act. It was passed by the House and Senate, signed by the President, and upheld by the Supreme Court. Yet now they want to shut the government down over it.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

That is not the point.  He goes on National TV and tells the Repubs to do this very thing that he just denied.  Who can work with a man like this?  If you had a boss that instructed you to do a big project and then changed his mind over and over how would like it?  No wonder the Repubs are so fed up with this type of management!

Quoting mcclanto:

mcclanto
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:48 PM
As long as it is a longterm solution, I'm happy.

Quoting Billiejeens:

The long term solution is to cut back on spending.

Quoting mcclanto:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)