Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Perhaps the Saddest Shutdown Photo You’ll Ever See

Posted by   + Show Post

Poor kid. Obama ruined his day.
Check it out:

A picture of a small child in a monkey costume is quickly becoming the unofficial symbol of the government shutdown.

The photo went viral after it got posted to Reddit and then was shared on Twitter by Time magazine’s Alex Fitzpatrick, who called it “the absolute saddest #shutdown photo you will ever see.”

In the photo, the young child holds onto the locked gates of Washington’s National Zoo, which is part of the federal Smithsonian Institution. Above his head is a sign that says, “The Zoo is temporarily closed.”

The zoo also attracted national attention at the beginning of the shutdown when the budget impasse prompted its popular “panda cam” to go dark.

BWTZu3dCQAImrnJ
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Replies (11-20):
jcrew6
by Jenney on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
See, we agree on something... There's probably a lot more... It's fun to cut through the drama and get to the point, isn't it? :)

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Sorry, raging liberals like that annoy me.

Get over it, the term isn't bigoted and any one who thinks it is has issues.

Quoting jcrew6:

Agree. Unfortunately, there are some liberals on here that I have called people a racist bigot for using the term illegal alien. As though it was a slur, and damn near hate crime... Even though no one referred to a specific race, or specific nationality.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

If someone gets their panties in a bunch over this then they need to look at the term

Illegal:  They didn't come here legally so what would that make them?

Alien:  Someone not from here.

So basically they are someone who isn't originally from here who came here but not through legal means.  Seems straight forward to me.

Quoting jcrew6:

And before any possible emotionally charged liberal get their panties in a bunch over using the term 'illegal alien'. Just remember many government agencies refer to them as illegal aliens. There is nothing wrong with it, if the government does it, right?

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL I know I agree with many different POV's here.  It is just cutting through the bs and drama to see that we have similarities.

Quoting jcrew6:

See, we agree on something... There's probably a lot more... It's fun to cut through the drama and get to the point, isn't it? :)

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Sorry, raging liberals like that annoy me.

Get over it, the term isn't bigoted and any one who thinks it is has issues.

Quoting jcrew6:

Agree. Unfortunately, there are some liberals on here that I have called people a racist bigot for using the term illegal alien. As though it was a slur, and damn near hate crime... Even though no one referred to a specific race, or specific nationality.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

If someone gets their panties in a bunch over this then they need to look at the term

So basically they are someone who isn't originally from here who came here but not through legal means.  Seems straight forward to me.

Quoting jcrew6:

And before any possible emotionally charged liberal get their panties in a bunch over using the term 'illegal alien'. Just remember many government agencies refer to them as illegal aliens. There is nothing wrong with it, if the government does it, right?

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM

:-(

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Illegal alien is not a racial slur. 

banging head into wall

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM
3 moms liked this

When did Obama care about children!?

Coconutty4Hubby
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM
What was her name? The senator who claimed that you should not call an illegal alien an illegal alien? She said to call them undocumented people... Lol

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Quoting jcrew6:

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM
2 moms liked this

But, but, calling them what they are...illegal (against the law) aliens (people not from this country) is not pc. They are 'undocumented immigrants'.  The LA Times and AP won't let their reporters use either of those terms any more.  Instead, the reporters have to 'describe their situation' or 'how they got here'.  LMAO.  They mustn't remind the voters that these people are here illegally.

jcrew6 is correct.  When the immigration bill was being written and debated, some women on CM nearly flew into a rage if some one referred to them as 'illegal aliens'.  We had to keep copying and pasting the definitions of 'illegal' and 'aliens' to get our points across.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Quoting jcrew6:

grandma B

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

That really is the saddest shutdown pic I've seen so far.

Is Obama going to repay the towns, states, business owners et al, the $2.28B this could cost the local economies for this spiteful bs?  That's what it could cost them if everything is shut down for a month.

America's 401 national parks received 715,000 daily visits in October 2012, and contributed $76 million to local economies during each of those days, according to the National Park Service.

paknari
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Lol I don't. But not being able to go to the zoo is the least concerning part of the whole problem.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting paknari:

Who cares? Honestly, if the shutdown acuallty shut more than parks down maybe there would be

A faster resolution.

Why do you hate children in monkey costumes?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mistressflora
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM

obama didnt instigate the shutdown stop blaming him!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)