Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Republican Rep. Admits Boehner is Lying: ‘Votes are There’ to End Gov’t Shutdown (Video)

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this

Appearing on CNN with Wolf Blitzer, Rep. Charlie Dent (R-PA) “let the cat out of the bag” when he refused to toe House Speaker John Boehner’s (R-OH) Tea Party line, revealing that there were not enough votes in the House to pass a “clean continuing resolution.” that will effectively end the government shutdown. Furthermore, Dent said the votes were there and accused Boehner of trying to “conflate” the Continuing Resolution with the debt ceiling.

“I am going to insist that the speaker try to bring out a clean continuing resolution to the one I said I would support,” Dent told Blitzer.

“I would urge the speaker to bring it out for a vote,” Dent insisted.

When Blitzer asked Dent if a clean Continuing Resolution would pass the House, Dent said that, according to the Washington Post, 20 GOP House members would support that measure, with many more that would support it if it was brought to the floor for a vote.

“I believe the votes are there,” he added. “I suspect the reason why it’s not being brought out because it may violate the Hastert rule.”

“That, or the fact that the speaker wants to conflate – he wants to conflate the debt ceiling and the continuing resolution,”

He let the cat out of the bag. The truth is, John Boehner WANTS to continue to shut down the government and have America go off the “fiscal cliff”… anything to obstruct Obama’s second-term agenda.

The 21 Republicans who have expressed that they would vote for a clean CR if Boehner brings it up for a vote are:

Rep. Erik Paulsen (R-Minn.), Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), Rep. Leonard Lance (R-NJ.), Rep. Peter King (R-NY.), Rep. Rob Wittman (R-Va.), Rep. Randy Forbes (R-Va.), Rep. Scott Rigell (R-Va.), Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.), Rep. Frank LoBiondo (R-NJ.), Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.), Rep. Mike Simpson (R-Idaho), Rep. Tim Griffin (R-Ark.), Rep. Jim Gerlach (R-Pa.), Rep. Richard Hanna (R-NY.), Rep. Bill Young (R-Fla.), Rep. Lou Barletta (R-Pa.), Rep. Pat Meehan (R-Pa.), Rep. Jon Runyan (R-NJ), Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa), Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.), Rep. Rodney Davis (R-Ill.).

Please watch the video below and share it on social media forums so that everyone will know the truth about Boehner’s reckless government shutdown.

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
babie113
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:26 AM
bump
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:50 AM
1 mom liked this

OP, can you not read?

"I suspect the reason why it's not being brought out because it may violate the Hastert rule."

21 from 232 does not a majority make.  The Haster rule means the Speaker should not allow a bill to be brought up for a vote, if he doesn't have a majority of his party's support, irregardless of which party is in control.

From nationaljournal.com.  Oct 3, 2013 

Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert says the famous-or infamous-rule that bears his name doesn't actually exist. "There really wasn't a 'Hastert Rule,' " the longest-serving Republican speaker, who is now a lobbyist and consultant, told National Journal in a phone interview Wednesday evening.

The Hastert Rule, as it's become known, is more of a self-imposed standard that says House leaders shouldn't allow a vote on a bill unless it has the support of the majority of their own party. The rule has been cited as the reason Speaker John Boehner won't bring up a clean continuing resolution to reopen the government, even though it probably has the 218 votes needed to pass, as well as the reason Congress can't pass immigration reform, new gun-control laws, or much else.

If Boehner were only willing to break the Hastert Rule more often, the thinking goes, the possibilities would be endless. Of course, that's probably not going to happen, but either way, Hastert says don't blame him.

"That was a misnomer at a press conference. One time they asked me about immigration legislation, why don't I just use Democrat votes? I said, well I'm never going to not have a majority of my own party go along with me. If you do that, then you're not using your own policy. And [the press] blew that up as the Hastert Rule. The Hastert Rule, really, was: If you don't have 218 votes, you didn't bring the bill to the floor," he explained.

Asked by a surprised reporter to confirm that he, Dennis Hastert, thinks there is no rule named after him, the former speaker replied: "There is no Hastert Rule, no."

Still, when asked if Boehner should try to pass a clean CR by breaking the rule heretofore known by Hastert's name, the former speaker said his successor should not. "I would be very careful with Speaker Boehner; I would make sure that he had a majority of his conference on board with him," he said.

Indeed, the "majority of the majority" principle was in place long before Hastert-he just put a name to it, intentionally or otherwise. In today's Washington, even Hastert's former aides think the controversial rule may need to be made more flexible. But Hastert himself warned Boehner in January against breaking his non-rule too many times. "Here is the problem. Maybe you can do it once, maybe you can do it twice, but when start making deals when you have to get Democrats to pass the legislation, you are not in power anymore," he told a conservative radio host in January.

For his part, the former speaker refrained from criticizing Boehner or anyone else in Washington, saying instead that politicians need to do more compromising.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Not a fan of Boener right now. No backbone. This should be by a vote by vote basis. They should be doing everything they can to get out of the hole we are in. These people hold our fate as a nation in their hands, everyone should get to decide on what side of history they will stand & not be forced onto aside soley by party affliliation.

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Quoting -Celestial-:

The 21 Republicans who have expressed that they would vote for a clean CR if Boehner brings it up for a vote are:

Rep. Erik Paulsen (R-Minn.), Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), Rep. Leonard Lance (R-NJ.), Rep. Peter King (R-NY.), Rep. Rob Wittman (R-Va.), Rep. Randy Forbes (R-Va.), Rep. Scott Rigell (R-Va.), Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.), Rep. Frank LoBiondo (R-NJ.), Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.), Rep. Mike Simpson (R-Idaho), Rep. Tim Griffin (R-Ark.), Rep. Jim Gerlach (R-Pa.), Rep. Richard Hanna (R-NY.), Rep. Bill Young (R-Fla.), Rep. Lou Barletta (R-Pa.), Rep. Pat Meehan (R-Pa.), Rep. Jon Runyan (R-NJ), Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa), Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.), Rep. Rodney Davis (R-Ill.).

lf wonder what you'd see if you looked at which republican seats had the lowest winning margin.

Only 23 Republicans in the house won by less than 20%. (link)

29again
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, Boehner is lying...  OK.  So, that clean CR is REALLY clean, and not a springboard to yet more spending...  sure.

sidesplittinglaughter

This time, I support Boehner, and I hope he stands firm!!  Oh, and I bet the  whip knows better than Dent who wants to vote which way.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN