Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

D.C. protestors wave Confederate flag, tell Obama to “put the Quran down”

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:49 AM
  • 20 Replies
D.C. protestors wave Confederate flag, tell Obama to EnlargePeople rally at the World War II Memorial in Washington Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013. The rally was organized to protest the closure of the Memorial and access to it by World War II veterans who traveled there on Honor Flight visits. The memorial has been closed due to the partial federal government shutdown. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)(Credit: AP)

About 200 people, counting among their ranks Republican Senator Mike Lee, Senator Ted Cruz and former Governor of Alaska Sarah Palin, converged on D.C.’s World War II memorialSunday morning. Slightly overselling themselves as the ”Million Vet March on the Memorials,” they cut through barriers to protest the site’s closing during the shutdown.

“This is the people’s memorial,” Cruz said in a speech. “Let me ask a simple question. Why is the federal government spending money to erect barricades to keep veterans out of this memorial?”

Those present weren’t all agreed upon the specifics of their grievances, according to the Washington Times. As one protestor put it: “There’s a three-part focus: veterans, impeachment and the truckers.”

CNN describes the rally as having a distinct Tea Party-esque flavor, heavy on the anti-Obama sentiment:

One speaker went as far as saying the president was a Muslim and separately urged the crowd of hundreds to initiate a peaceful uprising.

“I call upon all of you to wage a second American nonviolent revolution, to use civil disobedience, and to demand that this president leave town, to get up, to put the Quran down, to get up off his knees, and to figuratively come out with his hands up,” said Larry Klayman of Freedom Watch, a conservative political advocacy group.

At a certain point, they walked over to the White House, bringing the barriers with them — and at least one large Confederate flag:

View image on Twitter
The rebel flag is also spotted in this video posted to Instagram by Jim Acosta, CNN’s Senior White House Correspondent:
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Did you miss that this topic has already been chewed up and spit back out?  No need to rehash it....

Palin And Confederate Flag Rally Tea Party Piling Barrycades A White House

by MomTiara19 Yesterday at 7:31 PM

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

If he's a Muslim, he's a shitty one. Seriously, I don't think people even understand anything about Islam and spout off stupid crap about Obama being one because they hate him and Muslims are the most hated group of people in the world to us right now. They try to draw parallels that aren't even there which makes them look like dumb-asses.

JustCJ
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM
9 moms liked this

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Geez one flag....does one bad protestor represent all protestors....Did one bad Occupy Wall Street sexual assaulter represent all Occupiers?  Did one bad Occupy Wall Street drug dealer represent all Occupiers?  Did one bad Occupy Wall Street deficator in the street represent all Occupiers?     Did one Occupy Wall Street hypocrite represent all Occupiers? 

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM
3 moms liked this
One speaker proclaimed Obama was a Muslim and should remove himself from office.
One person carried a confederate flag and another flag I cannot identify.

And with all the rain in DC all week and weekend (our gauge shows just under 8 inches from Thursday morning to last night), it does not surprise me the turn out was not larger. Weather impacts rallies here often. It does not negate the Veteran's voice on the closure of the outdoor, open-air memorials.

Try to deflect and confuse more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that it is a - don't tread on me flag.

What is wrong with the Confederate Flag?

Quoting rocketracer:

Geez one flag....does one bad protestor represent all protestors....Did one bad Occupy Wall Street sexual assaulter represent all Occupiers?  Did one bad Occupy Wall Street drug dealer represent all Occupiers?  Did one bad Occupy Wall Street deficator in the street represent all Occupiers?     Did one Occupy Wall Street hypocrite represent all Occupiers? 

slashteddy
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Lmfao. Pathetic.
IhartU
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

I think that it is a - don't tread on me flag.

What is wrong with the Confederate Flag?

Quoting rocketracer:

Didn't the Confederacy lose? So, wouldn't the flag represent losers? I don't get why anyone would want to 'fly' it with pride. lol.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM
2 moms liked this

the confederate flag is a symbol of racism, and this jackhat that is carrying it is a breathing symbol of all the idiots that stand behind that flag.  What is the purpose of having that flag there if not to cause trouble. 

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

A few people does not an entire party make.  One group site reported that:

Son of jailed leader says evidence could put U.S. president in prison

(Dr. Jerome Corsi) – The son of a jailed Muslim Brotherhood leader in Egypt is claiming his father has evidence that will land President Obama in prison.The claim came as the Obama administration, with the assistance of Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and the open involvement of the No. 2 man at the U.S. State Department, made a concerted effort to see Muslim Brotherhood leaders in Egypt released.

You do realize don't you, that the name Tea Party is an umbrella name for many diverse groups, with the same basic beliefs, like limited gov't, lower taxes, returning control of schools to the local gov't and states, getting Obamacare repealed, strict adherence to the constitution, not spending more than the gov takes in, etc.  It is not an actual political party, yet.

Do your asshole dem politicians speak for the entire dem party?

Quoting IhartU:

If he's a Muslim, he's a shitty one. Seriously, I don't think people even understand anything about Islam and spout off stupid crap about Obama being one because they hate him and Muslims are the most hated group of people in the world to us right now. They try to draw parallels that aren't even there which makes them look like dumb-asses.

grandma B

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)