Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Is Breast Cancer Awareness Month Missing the Mark?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 3 Replies

Is Breast Cancer Awareness Month Missing the Mark? (VIDEO)

by Lindsay Ferrier 

Moms Matter Google Hangout

Unless you've been living under a rock, you probably know that we're smack dab in the middle of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. And the evidence of this is everywhere -- products in the supermarket have been relabeled in pink wrappers, sports stars are wearing pink armbands, and advertisements include pink logos, all in the name of raising breast cancer awareness.

But several of our writers here at The Stir (along with many other women online) are questioning whether 'awareness' is really what's needed right now in the war against breast cancer.

Check out what they had to say in this week's Moms Matter Google Hangout.

Maressa wrote about the 'pinkwashing' phenomenon yesterday on The Stir and she made some good points. We really should be researching whether any of the money we spend on pink products is really going to breast cancer programs and research.

The late Susan Niebur's brilliant post on how those 'secret' breast cancer awareness Facebook status games make breast cancer survivors feel worse really changed the way I think about 'awareness.' Specifically, I loved how Susan put it here:

Aren’t we aware by now, people? Don’t we know that we need to understand our own bodies, take notice of changes in one breast but not the other, and call the doctor when we see that something’s changed? Don’t we know that we need to talk to our doctor about thermography or mammograms? Don’t we know?

Susan suggested ACTION instead of awareness, and that sounds like the beginnings of a great idea to me. Why not change it from Breast Cancer Awareness Month to Breast Cancer Action Month? Yes, I'm very aware of breast cancer -- the question is, what am I doing about it?

If you'd like to see more information on breast cancer and the latest statistics, the American Cancer Society has a great breast cancer summary available online.

The bottom line is that we need to be proactive when it comes to breast cancer. As soon as we finished today's Google Hangout, I made a slightly overdue appointment for my (ugh) annual exam. It's one small step, but I do want to practice what I preach...

What do you think of Breast Cancer Awareness Month?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Well, who isnt aware of breast cancer?

Breast cancer awareness is a profitable industry. I cant see it going any where any time soon.
JanuaryBaby06
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I think it's a god cause butaree that people sould do their research but the same can be said about pretty much every other cause out there. Knowedge is power!

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM

It's good to raise awareness but I think breast cancer awareness is more about profit then helping others. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)