Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Change

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 15 Replies

What do you think of people whose political views change?  Do you think it is because they are realizing more about the world around them or do you think it is because they realized they were wrong in some way?  Have your views changed over time and if so how did they change?

When I was 18 I was a Republican through and through.  But that is because of the way I was raised.  That was what the "right" thing to do was.  Democrats were villified.  After I left home and stared to build my own identity seperate from how I was raised I took a severely left slant.  This was more because I was rebelling.  In the past year my views have taken another turn and have switched to a more moderate libertarian view.  With the current administration and the mindset of our current politicans I can't, with a clear mind, take sides anymore.  I can't stand behind an ideology that has become very detached from how I identify myself as a citizen of this country.  I see that Republican ideologies and the Republican platform has a lot to offer just as the Democratic platform does.  There are also issues with both sides that I feel Libertarianism can fix.  

So what about you?  I am curious to know what some here have to say on a more personal level.

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I thought that you were looking for coins.

I was going to offer to send you a nickel.

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

A nickel.  I can't even buy cheap candy with a nickel.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Oh, I thought that you were looking for coins.

I was going to offer to send you a nickel.

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I grew up with one side of my family being Republican, and the other side being Democrat, so I never really strongly identified with one or the other when I was younger.  Once I started earning a paycheck and saw how much was being taken out for taxes, I definitely started leaning more toward the Conservative side.  When I started helping my grandparents with their Medicare choices, and their doctor bills, and taking my grandfather to the VA for care, I found myself seeing how too much bureaucracy hurts more than it helps.  I don't like big government.  This includes big government republicans and big government democrats.  I don't think anyone knows how to manage my life better than me, and it's none of my business how you live your life unless it directly affects the way I live my life.  That's not to say that everyone has to accept everything about everyone...I don't have to like the choices people make, but I don't think behavior should be legislated either.  So here I am, a Libertarian.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I have always been a democrat and have very liberal views.I believe in the attitude of we are all in this together and need government.I also dont feel the republican party is very open and diverse.This is  a huge turn off for me.

PrimmednPunked
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to have similar views and still do in some way.  I just don't think we need government as much as the government wants us to believe we do.

Quoting MomTiara19:

I have always been a democrat and have very liberal views.I believe in the attitude of we are all in this together and need government.I also dont feel the republican party is very open and diverse.This is  a huge turn off for me.

SherryBerry106
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

You should start a thread named "memes.

Quoting MomTiara19:

erika9009
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM
4 moms liked this

Sorry, a conservative would have the dad there and the little boy who can't see on his shoulders. 

It's family time to them, not something stressed much from the Democratic side.

Quoting MomTiara19:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My views are constantly evolving.  Always have.

I have a habit of listening to others, and absorbing what they have to say into my own worldview.  And it changes, the more people I talk to and understand how their lives are lived.  That's just the way I am, and how I've always been.  I seriously don't know what it's like to be an ideologue -- being unchanging in how you look at and adapt to the world has never made sense.  Different times call for different measures.  For example, I'm not a fan of Ronald Reagan's politics, but the more I learn about that period of the late 70s, early 80s, the more I think he was the right President for that time.  One must do what makes sense given the moment that you are in. 

However, if you were to force me to choose an ideological box, I'm a progressive, and I always have been.  And that's because I don't think that where you were born or who you were born to should be determinative of where you end up, and I just don't see how you avoid that without various measures of government intervention.

7SportsMom7
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Growing up, my family wasn't very political within the household but I do remember how much my parents liked JFK so when I got to college, I registered as a Democrat. One day Lloyd Bentsen came to the campus (with Rob Lowe - okay maybe that's why I really went) and as I walked away from the rally, I realized I didn't agree with much of what he said ... and that's when I learned I was a conservative.  Much of my internal belief system up to that point identified as conservative so I changed my registration to Republican.

As an adult I breifly followed politics and only became much more informed these past 10 years.  I have friends who are liberal and used to be able to have interesting conversations.  Today, I don't even like to talk about politics because the divide these past few years is uncomfortable and not worth the argument.  It's too bad because I used to have an open mind about understanding where other ideology came from.  Now many of us are just stubborn and the layers of BS from boths sides gets in the way of real conversation (as shown on here day after day).

Right now, I'm definitely still a fiscal conservative and more socially moderate. The words Republican or Democrat make me cringe today.  A few years ago, I even heard Rob Lowe say in an interview that he adjusted his views to the center. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Exactly. Much safer to be on Dad's shoulders, than putting a child on top of two stacked rickety boxes to see a baseball game.

And who says it is right to take from people so everyone is left with a small amount. The earners just might go John Galt on everyone.

Quoting erika9009:

Sorry, a conservative would have that dad there and the little boy who can't see on his shoulders. 

It's family time to them, not something stressed much from the Democratic side.

Quoting MomTiara19:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN