Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What's Your Excuse? - FB Picture Upsets Some

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

FOX 4 News Kansas City
After a mother of 3 posted a picture on facebook of her fit body... surrounded by her three little boys, she received some harsh criticism for FAT-SHAMING women.

They had a problem with her caption that said, "What's your excuse?"

What do you think? Do you support her pride in the work she had to do to get there?! OR does her post make you bristle?

CLICK HERE for her response to her critics and to see what she looked like before her fitness journey---> http://link.fox4kc.com/1gk7B77

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151767822183645&set=a.360405333644.157901.56053548644&type=1&comment_id=10471809&ref=m_notif¬if_t=like&__user=792220908
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM
I think it's an awesome picture! I was tired of my extra weight. After I had my baby in January I decided to start running. By July, I was down to 137.

As a woman who has had 8 babies, believe me when I say that you CAN get in shape! It's not always easy. It's not always fun. It is completely worth the time and hard work!
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I like it.  I have four kids and while I'm not in that great of shape, I don't think I've done bad with keeping fit after four.  I agree that America needs to get more healthy and I think that's the message she's sending.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM
She looks great! When people talk about how tired they are or how depressed they are I ask them if they have tried working out. I'm either met with skepticism or something like "EXERCISE DOESN'T WORK EVERYONE!"... I calmly reply, "Have you tried it?" They usually don't answer and stomp away.
kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Here's her story...

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A California mother is being both praised and berated on social media after posting a picture of herself with her three kids with the caption, ‘What’s your excuse?’

Maria Kang posted a picture on her facebook page that said ‘What’s your excuse?” and women responded critically.

Maria Kang is obviously in good shape and looks fit in her micro-shorts and workout bra. The picture she posted on her facebook page went viral and she has experienced unexpected criticism.
Some accuse her of ‘fat-shaming’ other women.
Kang is a fitness blogger, a business owner, a wife and mother of three young boys. She has won several beauty and fitness competitions. But, she says it hasn’t been easy for her either. Kang said she has a family history of obesity and said she has suffered from bulimia. The photo came after she lost the 40 pounds she gained during her third pregnancy.
Kang spoke to FOX 40 in Sacramento and said she never expected the millions of views, comments and shares that came after she posted the photo. She addressed her critics and said it is they who misinterpreted her message.
“It doesn’t say, ‘What’s your excuse for not looking… like me. It never said that,” Kang explained. “What I’m saying is, ‘You can do you. You do you. You become the best person you can be.”
Kang also wrote a response on her facebook page to those who complained about her post or accused her of having surgery.
“I won’t go into details that I struggled with my genetics, had an eating disorder, work full-time owning two business’, have no nanny, am not naturally skinny and do not work as a personal trainer. I won’t even mention how I didn’t give into cravings for ice cream, french fries or chocolate while pregnant or use my growing belly as an excuse to be inactive,” she scolded.
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Good grief..I HATE women like that..which basically means I'm jealous..LOL  Good for her!!

kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM
LOL! I am still like that at times. I lost a bunch if weight after Joy was born. As soon as I was 12 lbs from my goal (125 was my goal) I got pregnant again.

I've REALLY slacked off on exercise. I need to start running again to stay in shape for my pregnancy, and not explode like I have done before.

I am proud if what I accomplished though!

My body in July/Aug after my weight loss. Not perfect, but not too bad.

Uploaded with Imgupr

My tummy now at 13 weeks. LOL! I popped fast this time.

Uploaded with Imgupr

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Good grief..I HATE women like that..which basically means I'm jealous..LOL  Good for her!!

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Quoting kcangel63:

LOL! I am still like that at times. I lost a bunch if weight after Joy was born. As soon as I was 12 lbs from my goal (125 was my goal) I got pregnant again.

I've REALLY slacked off on exercise. I need to start running again to stay in shape for my pregnancy, and not explode like I have done before.

Uploaded with Imgupr

Uploaded with Imgupr

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I think you're doing GREAT!!  Keep up the good work..  I know it's not easy..

sarahjz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I don't see how her photo is fat-shaming. I'm not offended, in the least. Good for her, for doing what she needs to, to get healthy.
kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I wish I enjoyed exercise. It would help motivate me more. LOL! I think I'll run later today. I've been SO stressed. It really helps a lot.

Thank you!

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting kcangel63:

Uploaded with Imgupr

Uploaded with Imgupr

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I think you're doing GREAT!!  Keep up the good work..  I know it's not easy..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)