Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Report: Healthcare.gov Had Only 4-6 Days of Final Testing

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:22 AM
  • 13 Replies

Today has been a data dump of bad news on the Obamacare exchange website. The latest is word from an unnamed contractor with knowledge of the project who tells the Examiner that the site got 4-6 days of final testing:

Federal officials were “freezing requirements in time to permit full testing at all levels of the site — integration testing, user testing, performance testing and tuning,” the individual said.

“Normally a system this size would need 4-6 months of testing and performance tuning, not 4-6 days,” the individual said.

The source said there were “ever-changing, conflicting and exceedingly late project directions. The actual system requirements for Oct. 1 were changing up until the week before,” the individual said.

Last week I wrote at length about the troubled state based exchange in Nevada. That site also had one week for final testing. I noted at the time "representatives from the federal government told Nevada officials in early September that their state of readiness was about average." Apparently, Nevada was at almost exactly the same point as the federal exchange when it came to testing.

There is no way that any responsible IT professional thought the site was ready for launch. It was, according to the NY Times, only 70 percent complete. Who will be held accountable for this massive government failure?

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 4:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Yikes!

surprised

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Anyone with an ounce of IT experience should have known that it wasn't ready because with just a diverse system there was no way all the parties to be involved and interconnected performed beginning to end tests between all parties.       

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Bump

erika9009
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM

OMG,

I'm guessing a stress test wasnt even used.  Or, they probably had 2 users try and log on in the same location and "test" it.

Many need to be fired over this.

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM

So we know it wasn't ready, why not wait 6 months or a year.  How is that unreasonable.

Quoting erika9009:

OMG,

I'm guessing a stress test wasnt even used.  Or, they probably had 2 users try and log on in the same location and "test" it.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM

And they had 3-1/2 years. More than enough time.

Quoting lylalane7275:

So we know it wasn't ready, why not wait 6 months or a year.  How is that unreasonable.

Quoting erika9009:

OMG,

erika9009
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Because that would be reasonable.

Pres Obama has this ego to stroke.  Since this is his legacy piece of legislation, it has to work perfectly.

I think history will show this ACA was a failure.

Quoting lylalane7275:

Quoting erika9009:

OMG,

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

This is actually what I do for a living.  QA test software.  The company I work for specializes in 'rapid development', meaning we develop quickly using prototyping over planning, and changes are made often when needed throughout the process.  We turn on a dime, changing the requirements based on who contracts to buy the solution.  Having said all this, we NEVER push code freeze to 4-6 days before release.  NEVER.  Even if you are testing 24 hours a day for those 4-6 days, there is no way to do end-to-end testing, bug fixes, and then regression testing in those few days.  You need, at the very least, 4 weeks, and better would be 6 - 8 weeks for this size of a project.  And then after all the testing and bug fixes are done, you take another week or two to do an acceptance phase.  This makes me sad for whoever did the testing for this project...they were put in an impossible position. 

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM

If it's not ready, you postpone it!

Quoting imagirlgeek:

This is actually what I do for a living.  QA test software.  The company I work for specializes in 'rapid development', meaning we develop quickly using prototyping over planning, and changes are made often when needed throughout the process.  We turn on a dime, changing the requirements based on who contracts to buy the solution.  Having said all this, we NEVER push code freeze to 4-6 days before release.  NEVER.  Even if you are testing 24 hours a day for those 4-6 days, there is no way to do end-to-end testing, bug fixes, and then regression testing in those few days.  You need, at the very least, 4 weeks, and better would be 6 - 8 weeks for this size of a project.  And then after all the testing and bug fixes are done, you take another week or two to do an acceptance phase.  This makes me sad for whoever did the testing for this project...they were put in an impossible position. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Because then you have to use way more resources - and we have to pay through the teeth EXTRA COSTS - for start-up instead of growth and maintenance.

Hubris.

Quoting erika9009:

Because that would be reasonable.

Pres Obama has this ego to stroke.  Since this is his legacy piece of legislation, it has to work perfectly.

I think history will show this ACA was a failure.

Quoting lylalane7275:

Quoting erika9009:

OMG,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)