Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Pope Francis describes ‘ideological Christians’ as a ‘serious illness’ within the Church

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 15 Replies

Pope Francis describes ‘ideological Christians’ as a ‘serious illness’ within the Church

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:21 EDT
Pope Francis screenshot

Speaking at daily Mass last Thursday, Pope Francis warned Christians against turning their faith into a rigid ideology.

“The faith passes, so to speak, through a distiller and becomes ideology,” he said, according toRadio Vatican. “And ideology does not beckon [people]. In ideologies there is not Jesus: in his tenderness, his love, his meekness. And ideologies are rigid, always. Of every sign: rigid.

“And when a Christian becomes a disciple of the ideology, he has lost the faith: he is no longer a disciple of Jesus, he is a disciple of this attitude of thought… For this reason Jesus said to them: ‘You have taken away the key of knowledge.’ The knowledge of Jesus is transformed into an ideological and also moralistic knowledge, because these close the door with many requirements.”

“The faith becomes ideology and ideology frightens, ideology chases away the people, distances, distances the people and distances of the Church of the people,” Francis added. “But it is a serious illness, this of ideological Christians. It is an illness, but it is not new, eh?”

He said Christian ideology was the result of a lack of true prayer.

Watch video, courtesy of Rome Reports, below:

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:58 AM

What do you think, you'll hear how you don't understand what he said because he is speaking Catholic and you're not a Catholic, or do you think you'll be told it's out of context?

Are you a betting woman?

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Whew!

I am not a Catholic.

Doesn't affect me.

Leaders in my church will continue to preach the Gospel and address the social issues of the day.

The way they're supposed to.............

Debrowsky
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with his statement that people tend to repeat memorized prayers rather than having personal prayers.   A better explanation as to what he thinks constitutes Christian ideology as an illness is first on my list.   Not enough was said to clarify this, so I wouldn't venture forth with an opinion.

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
This Pope once again is "bucking" the system lol, he is actually speaking to the Catholics and not at them like Benedict did
Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Wow, seriously??? your basically saying your other brothers and sisters in Christ dont count wow lovely show of being a Christian you do realize there is 2 "branches" of Catholics the Roman Catholics (Pope Francis (even though he is a Jesuit)) and the Eastern Orthodox Catholics you my lady need to not be so judgmental Pope Francis is attempting to bring Roman Catholics into the the 21st century and umm yea the priests and deacons an Bishops also preach the Gospel and the social issues your basically the pot calling the kettle black wow glad Im not what ever branch of Christian you are
Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Whew!

I am not a Catholic.

Doesn't affect me.

Leaders in my church will continue to preach the Gospel and address the social issues of the day.

The way they're supposed to.............

JanuaryBaby06
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I really really like him. It's ashame more Priests cannot talk the way he is. I felt that far too often, as a Catholic, I was talked at, never to. He has a completely different demeanor :D

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Id say it's the Jesuit teaching look at what he has done, he is NOT living in the "papel" house, he really hasnt used the "pop mobile" that poor John Paul II had to go to because of assination attempt, he is from the Americas NOT Europe he KNOWS what is really going on etc........

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

I really really like him. It's ashame more Priests cannot talk the way he is. I felt that far too often, as a Catholic, I was talked at, never to. He has a completely different demeanor :D

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I like this man.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if he's going to make it.

cammibear
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM
6 moms liked this
Sounds like the rhetoric of an antichrist to me. Without sound doctrine, you have nothing to base your faith upon. I'm reading between the lines, but to me it sounds like he's dismissing the authority of scripture, which is what Christian ideology is based upon. :/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN