Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Postage Stamps Deemed 'Unsafe' for Kids Because of the 'Dangerous' Images??

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 6 Replies

Postage Stamps Deemed 'Unsafe' for Kids Because of the 'Dangerous' Images

by Kristen Chase

USPS stamps deemed unsafe for kidsThese days, it seems like everything is unsafe for kids. I hate to sound like my mom, but I can't help myself. When I was a kid, we didn't have to worry about all this stuff. 

Alarmist much?

Sure, you can make the argument that the world is a scarier place, and trust me, on many occasions, I have. But when you're worried that stamps, yes STAMPS, are dangerous, then we've got a problem.

And no, it has nothing to do with eating them.

Apparently, the new USPS stamps inspired by First Lady Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" campaign have unsafe images for children.

Now, you might ask yourself, are they diving into a shallow pool? Or running across a busy street on a cell phone?

No, not at all.

The three controversial images show a child doing a headstand without a helmet, a skateboarder with no kneepads, and a kid doing a cannonball into a pool.

A CANNONBALL.

So okay, maybe a tiny part of me can see where making a stamp might somehow condone the practices that aren't generally the safest choices but then I remind myself that they're stamps.

Are kids really going to look at a stamp and decide that they should try to do a headstand? (Meanwhile, who does a headstand with a helmet?).

And also, the stamps are actually cartoons without faces. So I'm not quite sure it's fair to take them literally.

While no decision has been made as to whether the stamps will need to be destroyed, but it's certainly caused quite a ruckus, which is to say, don't we have anything else to do with our time but worry that stamps are going to somehow inspire a child to do a splashy jump into a pool?

Let's refocus our energy shall we and leave the stamps, and the cartoon kids having fun, alone.

Are you afraid the "Let's Move" stamps will "hurt" your kid?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Yes. Exercising is so dangerous. We need more porkers.
kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM
So stupid. It's some of the better stamps out there. What do they want? Video game, pizza, & soda stamps?
sweetaspie630
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

erika9009
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Wrap your kids in bubble wrap and duct tape.

It's the only way to be a good parent

UpSheRises
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Can you imagine the people at the meeting who made this determination. Sitting around like a bunch of fools, actually saying to each other, out loud, that pictures of children playing were a threat to thier health and safety?

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Do kids even see stamps anymore? I pay everything online. I only buy stamps for xmas cards and thank you cards. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)