Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

ACA (Obamacare) the gift that keeps on taking away....

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM
  • 15 Replies

The Affordable Care Act was signed by President Obama in 2010 and since then he has repeated one reassuring phrase: "If you like your insurance plan you will keep it. No one will be able to take that away from you. It hasn't happened yet. It won't happen in the future."

But it is happening. The president's health care law raises the standards for insurance policies, which many consider to be a good thing. But hundreds of thousands of Americans whose policies don't meet the new standards are being told that their health plans are being cancelled.

Natalie Willes is a sleep consultant who helps parents in Los Angeles train their newborns to sleep. She buys her own health insurance.

"I was completely happy with the insurance I had before," Willes said.

So she was surprised when she tried to renew her policy. What did she find out?

"That my insurance was going to be completely different, and they were going to be replaced with 10 new plans that were going to fall under the regulations of the Affordable Care Act," she said.

Her insurer, Kaiser Permanente, is terminating policies for 160,000 people in California and presenting them with new plans that comply with the healthcare law.

"Before I had a plan that I had a $1,500 deductible," she said. "I paid $199 dollars a month. The most similar plan that I would have available to me would be $278 a month. My deductible would be $6,500 dollars, and all of my care after that point would only be covered 70 percent."

Gerry Kominski, director of public health policy at UCLA said: "About half of the 14 million people who buy insurance on their own are not going to be able to keep the policies that they had previously."

He says higher premiums help insurers pay for new requirements including accepting patients with pre-existing conditions and providing preventative care like check-ups and vaccines.

"You're paying more for a better product and for more protection -- and you won't understand the value of that until you need it," he said.

But many can't get past the sticker shock.

"Now I'm being forced to choose from a bunch of new plans that I don't want to choose from that are all more expensive," Willes said.

New plan prices vary depending on age and location. But we're told younger people who currently have with high deductible plans will likely pay higher premiums and people with health problems will pay lower premiums.

© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57609224/arrival-of-obamacare-forcing-insurers-to-drop-customers-with-low-coverage/

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM

"Before I had a plan that I had a $1,500 deductible," she said. "I paid $199 dollars a month. The most similar plan that I would have available to me would be $278 a month. My deductible would be $6,500 dollars, and all of my care after that point would only be covered 70 percent."

THIS is such BULLogna from this government..seriously..it's outrageous.. By the time some people pay their deductibles..the year will probably have run out for anything for the insurance to pay not to mention those doctors that are demanding deductibles be paid up front.. I  HOPE the insurance companies are sending something GOOD Obama's way for all this $$$$$$ they are making off of this crappy ACA.. Because someone is "scratching" someone's back and in a BIG way.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

"You're paying more for a better product and for more protection -- and you won't understand the value of that until you need it," he said."

BULL SHIT, plain and simple, BULL SHIT.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

You think BACKS are getting scratched? 

I was thinking more along the lines of somethings getting stroked.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

THIS is such BULLogna from this government..seriously..it's outrageous.. By the time some people pay their deductibles..the year will probably have run out for anything for the insurance to pay not to mention those doctors that are demanding deductibles be paid up front.. I  HOPE the insurance companies are sending something GOOD Obama's way for all this $$$$$$ they are making off of this crappy ACA.. Because someone is "scratching" someone's back and in a BIG way.

Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM
4 moms liked this

and you won't understand the value of that until you need it," he said.

Wow- anyone else take issue with that statement? Sounds a bit hitler ish to me... but then, it's what we said all along isn't it? How far do we have to spell this out for people????

My insurance is the same, it's just gone up by about 37%- we also have Kaiser. Every medicare advantage person I have met as an NP has their costs increasing with different plan options (less services, less drug coverage, no more dental, no more vision).

And people really thought otherwise?

cammibear
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM
2 moms liked this
Key word...REGULATIONS.

The government screws up everything it touches, and its always the "healthy" that get penalized.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I seriously do not believe that intelligent critical thinkers thought otherwise.

Quoting Ziva65:

and you won't understand the value of that until you need it," he said.

Wow- anyone else take issue with that statement? Sounds a bit hitler ish to me... but then, it's what we said all along isn't it? How far do we have to spell this out for people????

My insurance is the same, it's just gone up by about 37%- we also have Kaiser. Every medicare advantage person I have met as an NP has their costs increasing with different plan options (less services, less drug coverage, no more dental, no more vision).

And people really thought otherwise?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I swear to goodness if you make me think of NP and a sex act, I am unleashing 30 minutes of -------killer on you.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

You think BACKS are getting scratched? 

I was thinking more along the lines of somethings getting stroked.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

pamelax3
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

This has been BS since it started, our insurance went up 37% and now our employers have to also pay admin fees for this crap. The people who are all for this will not understand the financial stress it will but on the American taxpayer

kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 25, 2013 at 6:23 PM
I hate all of this. :(
Stari27
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM

As a military wife with a husband who is retiring in 6 days... I've been talking to friends and family who are on the same insurance retirees are provided and I'm starting to worry we can't afford the care I need for my migraine disorder till we get a second medical insurance once my husband finds new work.  When my husband enlisted in the service, one of the few things he thought he was certain of being able to provide his family was good health care for the rest of lives without these kinds of fears. 

My mother the wife of a retired military member, who is working 2 jobs now to pay her extra medical costs, and is delaying medical care she should be getting till she pays for some of the care she has needed.  My father needs to pay out of pocket over 1000$ for a hearing aid so will need to work at least through tax season for that.  (he is nearing 70).  I remember growing up in the military never even thinking about things like health-care costs, because I was taught that after a serviceman puts in his full time for his country, the government he served takes care of him and his spouse (and kids while they kids). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN