Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

How do you feel about stricter gun control regulations?

Posted by   + Show Post

11-Year-Old Brings Gun & 400 Rounds of Ammo to School -- When Will Our Laws Change? (VIDEO)

by Lisa Fogarty

It's a really bad week to work in a school, and it's an even worse week to be a middle school student or the parents of one. Another child was caught with a gun this week. This time he was 11 and brought it to his Washington middle school -- along with 400 rounds of ammunition and several knives. The boy, whose name is not being released, is being held in a juvenile detention center on an attempted murder charge after police responded to calls yesterday morning from the school reporting that a shooter was in the building. Both Pioneer Middle School and the nearby elementary school were on lockdown for two hours. And that brings the total number of gun-related or incredibly violent incidents involving young teens and kids at school to four -- in four days

According to police, the boy has said that he brought the knives and loaded gun to school in order to protect a friend who was being bullied. It was also reported that the child said he heard voices in his head telling him to kill the bully, but that his plan was to shoot the other student in the arm and then put a bullet in his own head. Holy cow. I can't even imagine what it feels like to hear that your son made this statement. 

School officials became aware of the weapons the boy was carrying after his mother reportedly called them early in the morning to say that she feared her son may have brought kitchen knives with him to school. Thank the lord she was on the ball enough to notice before her child killed someone's else son.

But just where he obtained the gun and ammo is still a mystery. 

This horrifying report comes on the heels of other deplorable acts of violence this week, including the Sparks Middle School shooting, in which a teen fatally shot his teacher and himself and wounded two students, the brutal murder of a Massachusetts middle school math teacher by one of her students, and the fatal shooting of a 13-year-old in California after cops suspected the realistic-looking pellet gun he was carrying was a real weapon. 

At this point I'm not sure what we should be most frightened about: the fact that young people are filled with so much rage and aren't thinking twice about killing others? Or the insane access to guns that they seem to have? An argument can be made that a violent and disturbed child -- as in the Massachusetts case -- doesn't need a gun to kill. I agree. 

But having a gun certainly makes it easier to kill a whole lot of people at once, doesn't it? We aren't going to be able to tackle every child's anger issues tomorrow, and -- frustratingly -- we can't ensure that every parent who legally owns a gun is responsible and locks it up. But we can and should be enforcing stricter gun laws. And we aren't -- and it's just shameful. It's embarrassing and infuriating that gun control didn't become a priority after the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School and it becomes even more of a disgrace with every act of gun violence we continue to witness at schools. The time to do something has long passed. 

How do you feel about stricter gun control regulations?

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I'm not at all opposed to gun owners carrying high liability insurance- but I suspect most couldn't afford it. From many of the incidences we've seen, I'm not sure the families could afford the cost of that. I'm all for background checks too, but I don't think that matters either.

I do think that there should be increased liability for parents for any acts caused by their children, whether or not they were aware of the propensity for that behavior. i thini they should be held financially responsible as well, regardless of the behavior- including bullying, abuse, gun use, etc.- problem is, people don't have that kind of money. Even if there were adequate insurance for it, it wouldn't cover negligent acts- which these are, they aren't just accidents most of the time from what we hear.

IDK, we are responsible gun owners. Our kids all know how to shoot- even our daughter. Its locked, off site, no access for anyone- they go to a range, and are all well trained. I'd advocate for that too. We have all sorts of insurances too, but related acts would be neglignece unless it was an accident. There wouldn't be coverage for that, but we know our family and our kids, I honestly have no concerns.

If indeed though our country continues to go downhill, that access to guns will be broughtt to our home for self protection. I really think our country is going downhill fast. I think stressors are going up, people are struggling more, families are increasingly stressed triggering perhaps previously well controlled mental health issues, on and on.

Quoting IhartU:

Background checks work to an extent but they don't flag anyone who is going to commit a crime in the future- so maybe yearly background checks for all gun owners in order to see if anyone of them has been seen for mental problems or anything like that.  Selling at gun shows should be outlawed and gun owners should have to have 'gun insurance' and be held liable and accountable if a crime is committed with their guns. Country- wide laws should be in effect- not State by State.

I'm really sick of those who say 'the criminals will have still have guns' so fucking what? More gun violence is commited by actual law-abiding citizens than it is with criminals. Stricter gun laws are not just about getting guns out the hands of criminals, it's about keeping innocents safe from gun violence as well.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Background checks will not detect if someone was seen for mental health issues - that violates medical privacy laws.

Quoting IhartU:

Background checks work to an extent but they don't flag anyone who is going to commit a crime in the future- so maybe yearly background checks for all gun owners in order to see if anyone of them has been seen for mental problems or anything like that.  Selling at gun shows should be outlawed and gun owners should have to have 'gun insurance' and be held liable and accountable if a crime is committed with their guns. Country- wide laws should be in effect- not State by State.

I'm really sick of those who say 'the criminals will have still have guns' so fucking what? More gun violence is commited by actual law-abiding citizens than it is with criminals. Stricter gun laws are not just about getting guns out the hands of criminals, it's about keeping innocents safe from gun violence as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I am not in favor of more laws. It would not have stopped any of these very tragic incidents. Gun owners currently would not have to (and I would never advocate) turn over their current cache of weapons and ammunition - so there will always be a source for criminals to steal from. They are not going to abide by laws and more regulations.

I am a proponent of gun SAFETY. I have said it a thousand times - children should not be allowed to have access to violence (toy guns, gun accessories, video games where they target and shoot, movies where guns are celebrated). It desensitizes people and they have no comprehension of their actions (of killing / shooting). Teach how to handle, teach the dangers, teach responsibility. Until we ALL as parents drill this into our children from an early age - the incidents will keep getting worse. It is very sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM
4 moms liked this

Gun control is unconstitutional. Period. Learn what the constitution says, and learn WHY it says it. When you do, you'll figure out that every gun control law that has been signed is unconstitutional. Even our current military (the way it is run, administered, and funded) is unconstitutional.

The founders put the second amendment in the bill of rights for very select reasons. That second amendment is further backed up and explained in Article I, section 8, clause 15 ... Article 1, section 8, clause 16, and Article II, section 2, clause 1.

Whether or not 'you' like guns, every citizen is bound by these rules (meaning 'you' have a responsibility, not just 'rights' and 'freedom'). One of your responsibilities is ensuring that the constitution and all the laws in it are upheld and defended ... and that includes against a government that is out of control, deliberately attempting to subvert the constitution, and especially against one that promises you safety if you give up your rights and your guns.

I'm so SICK of people who never had a civics class in school, or worse, even as adults won't take the time to learn about their own government just because some teacher claimed it isn't important. If it isn't important to you, you don't deserve ANY of the rights or freedoms in that document ... and that includes the freedom to say/promote stupid things such as 'we need more gun control' (with no proper understanding of the phrase ~ gun control means hitting what you aim at)!

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this

She isn't willing to just give up her rights. She is stating she has no interest in her responsibilities ... and she wants EVERYone to give up their rights.

I'll pass. In fact, I'm at the point where I'm willing to say that I'm totally in favor of anyone in favor of gun control being forced to take a civics class ... and without any chance of passing unless/until they can correctly answer questions and pass a final exam be stripped of their rights and freedoms until they DO pass. ARGH.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

So you're wiling to give up your right to own a gun? You DO realize that criminals will STILL have guns, and it won't stop illegal gun sales/trafficking? And there's always the old adage: "where there's a will there's a way". 

Quoting slashteddy:

I'm totally in favor.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

But just where he obtained the gun and ammo is still a mystery.

Really?? He was willing to say everything else..

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Background checks will not detect if someone was seen for mental health issues - that violates medical privacy laws.

Quoting IhartU:

Well it shouldn't. I believe that is important to public safety.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM
4 moms liked this
This, and how much MORE gun control can there be? How would MORE gun control have prevented this? It's already illegal to sell ammo and firearms to 11 yr olds.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Gun Control?

With the corrupt administration buying up all the ammunition I believe accurate marksmanship is more important than ever.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM
4 moms liked this
Would you be willing to have your medical files made public, or even a cessable to LE for any reason they see fit?

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Quoting IhartU:

Well it shouldn't. I believe that is important to public safety.

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM
3 moms liked this
Not in favor of gun control. Less than a percent of a percent of guns owned in this country are used illegally. Gun control only harms legal owners who've never committed a crime. Period.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)